• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Interesting problem with an AR buffer retainer

Gunfighter25

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hawaii
A buddy of mine asked me to look over his AR - wasn't cycling properly and had sighting issues. Long story short - this was a frankenstein piece together. Fixed the sighting problem - operator error, but while checking his buffer I noticed it looked like a rat chewed the edge of the buffer face. Really deep gouges all along the edge. Changed out the buffer, retainer and springs. He fired maybe 100 rounds and all was well. Weapon cycled properly, no FTF or FTE.

While cleaning the rifle after firing, I noticed the rat bites were back on the new buffer edge but not as deep. Comparing his lower to my Rock River lower, we noticed his buffer retainer was set back from the safety selector area further than mine. Suspect the buffer retainer location is the problem but how to fix it?

Any suggestions other than getting him a new lower?

Thanks,
Gunfighter

Re: Interesting problem with an AR buffer retainer

Personally, I would contact the manufacturer about the issue to see if they could get you a new receiver. Or you could remove some material from the pin portion of the retainer but you risk it breaking off and jamming up the works. Easiest fix is to remove the retainer. You don't need it but remember it isn't there when you open up the rifle or you are in for a suprise. An offset retaining pin would be the cats meow, if someone made it.

Thanks HB, the BCG does not push the buffer back as the receiver closes. Looking from the top at the retainer, you can tell it's set back towards the tube. Was thinking if I added a spacer or buffer to the back end of the BCG to push the buffer back like Tubb's Carrier Weight system. The CWS extended out so much from the back of the BCG I had to pull both take-down pins to open the receiver for cleaning. It also slowed the BCG down a bit with a 16-inch barrel, which wouldn't be too bad.

What do think?

I'm pretty much a fix-it-right kinda guy, there are several ways to band-aid it. But when he sells the gun in a few years and someone needs it to defend their life and the band-aid fails, I don't want to be the one that caused it.

You really need to find out the true cause of the problem and fix it correctly.

Axeman, Thanks, will forward the link to my friend and see what he wants to do.

HB - copy on the liability issue. Will also tell him to think about a new lower.

Thanks all