• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting project

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    I recently started to redo one of ny grandfathers guns that i have. I think its pretty interesting. I have resorted to just making my own replacement parts for it, the ejector broke years back and its been put away since. I recently redid the stock and am in the process of blueing it, just thought some may like to guess as to what it is.
    20210708_072143.jpg

Something something that is low psi..........22lr ? Long ass barrel with threads , for a tuner ?

Do you have any pictures of the rifle assembled?

Re-Bluing = Ruint

I would only re-blue in the case of serious corrosion/deep pitting. I have tons of guns rubbed to the white, or blue turned brown with age (patina). To me that's part of it, even the hillbilly gunsmithing done on some of the old Whitneyville and Winchesters I don't try and correct, because they were just tools to the person who did it, but to me it's part of family history.

Unless Turnbull does it the value will drop precipitously, and even then it won't gain value.

I have four generations of guns under my stewardship. I won't sell any of them, ever. That said, I do know what each and every one is worth. If my kid or his kid wants to part with any of them they are gold coins in the safe, and I care about their value.

Reactions: Texasflyer
    Re-Bluing = Ruint

I would only re-blue in the case of serious corrosion/deep pitting. I have tons of guns rubbed to the white, or blue turned brown with age (patina). To me that's part of it, even the hillbilly gunsmithing done on some of the old Whitneyville and Winchesters I don't try and correct, because they were just tools to the person who did it, but to me it's part of family history.

Unless Turnbull does it the value will drop precipitously, and even then it won't gain value.

I have four generations of guns under my stewardship. I won't sell any of them, ever. That said, I do know what each and every one is worth. If my kid or his kid wants to part with any of them they are gold coins in the safe, and I care about their value.
    It wont ever be for sale. But it had some decent surface rust i wanted to quell. Dont care about price though, its memories of me and my grandpa that i care about. But i do want to shoot it. The mag bottom has taken the dirt nap. Think im just gonna make one out of metal for it. Im also making the ejector out of spring steel.

From what ive read the 185D-A is the most rare iteration of this shotgun. Having only been made in 1950 for that year. Just thought it was neat and figured i would share.

Reactions: Redheeler
    As long as you like what you're doing to the shotgun, that's all that matters. I hope you can find or build all of the parts that you need and it becomes a family heirloom.

As long as you like what you're doing to the shotgun, that's all that matters. I hope you can find or build all of the parts that you need and it becomes a family heirloom.
    Its a compulsion really.... i cant help myself, i gave up long ago. Im getting better though, managed to put the 1909 away without butchering it or doing anything past firing it 4 times lol. This was my grandfathers go to shotgun, he didnt own a rifle other than a few .22s which i also have. It was beat to hell and rusty, from being left in the truck for umteen years. But taken decent care of mechanically. I was shooting skeet with it a few years back just for memories sake and the extractor broke. The mag broke shortly after. It was on the back burner for awhile but i got inspired and im gonna fix it with a rainx windsheild wiper. ;-)

20210708_153810.jpg
    20210708_153750.jpg

Its a bit of work but it fucntions flawlessly. Pretty inpressed how they made these things for guys with basically minimal tools could fix it in the moment. It was a great rainy afternoon project. Thought i would post in case anyone else has a broken extractor and numrich doesnt have parts.

Reactions: LT64
    Havelin sells magazines for it if you just want to get another one. My dads quit working on his after about 30 years of him using it, so I got him one a while back.

• Love
    Havelin sells magazines for it if you just want to get another one. My dads quit working on his after about 30 years of him using it, so I got him one a while back.
    That is awesome info... i started looking earlier and the mag parts that were here seem to have moved somewhere... i have yet to find the mag.

Also, knowing i can make something always trumps hoping i can buy something.... so i try to fix things before i just buy em lol.

Havelin sells magazines for it if you just want to get another one. My dads quit working on his after about 30 years of him using it, so I got him one a while back.them.
    I really like Havelin, I have gotten parts for a couple of my .22s and .22 mags from them. Prompt.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    I usually just check numrich. This is the first time ive heard of havelin, super cool to see parts for an old cheap gun in stock. Thanks seriously for a new resource.

I really like Havelin, I have gotten parts for a couple of my .22s and .22 mags from them. Prompt.
    Havlin and Numrich are some good resources for older/odd guns. MarStar Canada used to be a good one for exploded diagrams for odd guns, but I haven’t been there in a long time.