• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting results with 7mm

Nortex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Texas
So I had a 7mm-08AI built a while back with a 1:10 twist with full intentions of using 120-140gr BT's, since they have a decent BC. When I first picked the rifle up I just through together a load the gunsmith recommended with the 120's for hunting season, since season ended I was shooting off the bench and wasn't impressed. I ordered some 162's and just initial pressure check and was extremely impressed, although velocity was 2680 with room to grow. That being said I found it kinda odd that on paper the 120's should have been a lot better than the 162's as far as stabilization goes.

Re: Interesting results with 7mm

Which 120-140 were you using? Which 162 were you using?
The bullet can make an enormous difference going from a hunting type bullet to match bullets.
I had a 300 WM that would shoot 180 noslers at 1.5MOA and shoot the 185 bergers sub .5moa with all of the components exactly the same loaded to the same length etc.

120 Nosler BT's and 162 Amax's. The ironic thing is there are two other rifles that put the same loaded 120's in the same hole. At first I thought my barrel may have ended up being a different twist but after checking twice it's 1:10 as well.

Nortex,
Sounds like you should hunt with the A-max. I usually look for the most accurate bullet with the best sectional density. I make my bullet selection off two demension shot placement is 1st bullet performance is second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nortex,
Sounds like you should hunt with the A-max. I usually look for the most accurate bullet with the best sectional density. I make my bullet selection off two demension shot placement is 1st bullet performance is second. </div></div>

That's the plan after further load development, I was just very surprised that the 120's didn't stabilize in the 1:10 tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssatt68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nortex,
Sounds like you should hunt with the A-max. I usually look for the most accurate bullet with the best sectional density. I make my bullet selection off two demension shot placement is 1st bullet performance is second. </div></div>I like the way you think.

The 120s are stable they just aren't as good a bullet as the A-max. Don't quote me but it is possible to over spin a bullet </div></div>

I pondered that, but there are now 4 other rifles that are all 1:10 that the 120's are good great in yet mine doesn't. I've heard of over spinning as well but have never heard much other than it's possible.