• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interior wall paint brands and thoughts

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    So I am slated to close on my fiancé and I’s first house on Monday and we want to repaint all the interior walls as they’re currently uglier than sin. We did some looking at Home Depot for some colors but I’m not sure how I feel about Behr or PPG. I have a Sherwin Williams next to the house we are in right now and was thinking about checking out their options and colors.

Those of you that have painted your homes, what paint brands have you used, what did you like or dislike about them and the experience over the years or months since painting with them? I want to do this once and while I don’t need a contractor grade paint, I also don’t want to hate my life while painting our home.

I appreciate any thoughts, experiences, and opinions on the matter!

Work as a PM on large commercial and heath care projects with SWP being the most common specified paint. I use their products as well on my home with good success. My advice would be buy the best paint you can afford since it will provide better coverage and hold up better. Haven't seen or used PPG or Baer on any of my projects and frankly haven't seen them specified.

Benjamin Moore Aura. Excellent coverage and durable. I painted my entire house with it. It’s pricey but was worth it to me. Go with the matte finish. It’s easier to touch up if you need to. I used mostly eggshell and when I had to do some touch up I ended up painting the entire wall.

Congrats on the house.

Last edited:
    I'd get some local area quotes. My wife wanted to paint in various areas, and she wasn't going to do it herself. Guy gave us an awesome quote, used high quality (Sherman I think) paint, did an awesome job. No worries.

With that I do think SW is a better paint but you need to be sure you are getting their better line of paint.
    I hate any sort of shine/sheen as I prefer a flat/matte look.
    Get sample pints if you can of color and sheen choices you are considering. Penny wise...
    You are going to be painting anyway so painting over a few small areas of "test batches" isn't going to be a problem.
    Think of the lighting in the room natural and from lamps/lights.

Reactions: oneshot86
    I'm old school so I use Varget for everything. I know a lot of guys hate it because they say that it not constant from lot to lot but I've been using it for the last 8 years or so and I haven't had that problem.

The only real complaint I have about varget is obviously it doesn't consistently meeter at all in a mechanical powder measure. I'm really hoping the v4 autotrickler works well but I'm going to wait until it gets out in the public more and see if anyone has any complaints or problems with it, I don't like being a gunnipig.

Oh shit I just realized you were asking about house paint. I'm on the wrong forum, sorry.

Remodeled our old house last summer used Sherman Williams which I had used 15 years before. No issues everything looked great, sold the house the first day on the market. It's like painting a car, prep work and detail will make or break how good it will look.

Reactions: Krob95
    I'm old school so I use Varget for everything. I know a lot of guys hate it because they say that it not constant from lot to lot but I've been using it for the last 8 years or so and I haven't had that problem.

The only real complaint I have about varget is obviously it doesn't consistently meeter at all in a mechanical powder measure. I'm really hoping the v4 autotrickler works well but I'm going to wait until it gets out in the public more and see if anyone has any complaints or problems with it, I don't like being a gunnipig.

Oh shit I just realized you were asking about house paint. I'm on the wrong forum, sorry.
    giphy (1).gif

SWP has a service where they send out designers to “help” they also came back and brought 20+ Pints of custom mixed colors.

paint does look different in YOUR house with YOUR lighting features.

I’m incredibly handsome so they gave me the service for FREE99 but im told they charge for the service. I 100% believe they just wanted to get out of the store and no one was paying for this service in my area.

paint matters. Buy good stuff that is durable, painting sucks, doing it more than once is a punishment and never ends up cheaper than doing it right the first time.

prepare yourself for a lot of prep work. Much more than you expected. Blue tape isn’t cheap, get the $20 brushes cause leaving bristles behind is the worse.

best of luck!

What kind of prep work is typical of painting the interior?

Benjamin Moore is the best. SWP is good and is the largest paint company in the US, so it can be found every where. If you don't know anything about paint the big box stores aren't helpful and store like SWP will have more knowledgeable employees. If you have a contractor friend they maybe able to help you out with the price of paint and sundries, if not you gonna pay for it.

I have renovated two homes and painted dozens of rooms across several more. I've probably used every brand at every price level. I've never been unhappy with any of them - or unexpectedly impressed with any of them either.

My last GF was "artistic" and would only buy from Sherwin Williams. As I was the one doing the remodeling work, I was in Home Depot every day, and compared prices of the paint she was buying to what I would have chosen, and had used previously. I personally don't "get it", and every can I have in my current home came from Home Depot. No regrets.

Unless you're buying from Dollar General, I don't think you can go wrong..

Ben. Has a high concentration of solids (that's what covers). Buy Behr or some other big box paint and expect to put on an extra coat.
    I learned this from a profession painter, it's worthwhile advice.

Ben. Has a high concentration of solids (that's what covers). Buy Behr or some other big box paint and expect to put on an extra coat.
    I learned this from a profession painter, it's worthwhile advice.
    You'll find the better paints will use more titanium dioxide and the cheaper ones like builders paint use calcium carbonate. Also, sheen will determine how much coverage you get. Flat wall paint covers better that low sheen/satin/egg shell and those cover better than semigloss or high gloss. BTW for trim get the best paint you can afford because painting trim sucks and I am slower since I haven't done it in years.

Sheet rock repair, matching surrounding texture, blending the repair, trim, masking or cut-in freehand if you are good enough. Clean straight lines, good paint coverage not to miss anything, good portable led lights really help you see things you might not see under normal lighting. (y)

I mostly use sherwin williams. FWIW, my dad says lowes house brand sucks.

If going darker to lighter, use a good primer and have them tint it to your color.

Don't try to use a really smooth roller. You want a little nappy.

+1 on tinting primer. Also if painting white, I usually have them put in a stink of black pigment. Your eyes don't see it but the black pigment allows the white to cover better.

Said a few times above. Spend a little extra for quality. I once made the mistake of going “less expensive.” Much more work for proper and uniform coverage and not much cost savings due to the need for more product. Learned my lesson.

Painted a couple of interiors now. Benjamin Moore is great stuff second house the BM retailer went out of business and used Behr Marquette. No complaints with it. Good coverage in single coat. Do not use cheap ceiling paint. You will see every roller line and terrible coverage. Use the same high quality flat paint for the ceiling. High quality rollers and brushes are worth every penny. For large rooms with big walls a wider pro roller is great and even had good luck with a power roller but they are a pain in the ass to get clean when done. Congrats on the new home

Thank you everyone! This is fantastic advice and will have plenty to share with my fiancé this evening when I get home from work!

Reactions: Familydude
    Ben Moore is best. sW second. Baer sucks and will not use.

Wooster > Purdy for brushes and I will fight @Threadcutter308 over this. Bare knuckles if course.
    Brush comb is a must.

cutter bucket is so useful

Prep takes more time than painting.

If painting ceilings, the 18” roller that attaches at both ends is worth the $ for speed and single application coverage.

We need pics of fiancé to see if we want to offer more help….

Wooster > Purdy for brushes and I will fight @Threadcutter308 over this. Bare knuckles if course.
    Brush comb is a must.

If painting ceilings, the 18” roller that attaches at both ends is worth the $ for speed and single application coverage.

can't find Wooster out in these parts.........

Kelly Moore has served us well. Parker Paints second best. But, thy're regional brands. Kelly Moore has been "one coat wonder". Good paint is worth more than every extra dime spent on it. When a gallon on "one coat" costs $40.00 and "two coat" costs $35.00, why cut corners ?

Dang. I was hoping to go toe to toe.

(I use Purdy or Wooster without a care either way). Just way more Hide like to make a proclamation with a challenge than acknowledge there could be 2 good brands.

FYI: Any scope besides Tasco and you are wasting dollars to look gayer than you already are.

Brush comb is a must.

I don't have any Wooster, but I have a bunch of 25 year old Purdy brushes that I won't let any one ever use, except me. Treat a brush right and it will last forever.

I will say I only buy Purdy brushes, despite not believing there's much difference in the paint..

SWP has a service where they send out designers to “help” they also came back and brought 20+ Pints of custom mixed colors.

paint does look different in YOUR house with YOUR lighting features.

I’m incredibly handsome so they gave me the service for FREE99 but im told they charge for the service. I 100% believe they just wanted to get out of the store and no one was paying for this service in my area.

paint matters. Buy good stuff that is durable, painting sucks, doing it more than once is a punishment and never ends up cheaper than doing it right the first time.

prepare yourself for a lot of prep work. Much more than you expected. Blue tape isn’t cheap, get the $20 brushes cause leaving bristles behind is the worse.

best of luck!

We painted our house with SWP and used this service. They charge a certain amount for the service, but give you a coupon to almost cover the service. The person we had was really good. We got samples of the paint colors recommended AND these 8*10 sheets that you paint and stick on your wall to see how it looks in the room.

They recommend you NOT to paint on your wall with these samples (small painted areas). They say you will see where the painting took place, so we bought the sticky paper. It was less than $15 for what I think was a dozen pieces.

I cannot recommend anyone's paint better for you personal house. We use contractor grade on the rentals, and you can REALLY see the difference.

Do it right the first time. Use Sherwin Williams. Not the Sherwin Williams from Home Depot. Go to the SW store. I use nothing but the Emerald line when painting the interior. Most the time, one coat is all you need. Keep a watch on their website. They always have a sale, and sometimes up to 40% off.

Do it right the first time. Use Sherwin Williams. Not the Sherwin Williams from Home Depot. Go to the SW store. I use nothing but the Emerald line when painting the interior. Most the time, one coat is all you need. Keep a watch on their website. They always have a sale, and sometimes up to 40% off.

One coat may do it, but it's better to apply a 2nd coat for lasting durability. I do agree, the store paint is the only paint I'd ever use in my home. Home Depot paint regardless of the name on the can is junk.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    Other tips:
    Use painters tape to get the fuzz off the roller before use.
    Any large ceiling, get two people,.
    Always keep a wet edge.
    Use ammonia and warm water for cleaning brushes and roller covers. Soapy water doesn't work as well.

As for brushes and rollers, did you know that if you wrap them in Saran wrap and put them in the refrigerator, they will stay wet and usable (after warming up) for weeks.

Reactions: Maggot and Krob95
    Work as a PM on large commercial and heath care projects with SWP being the most common specified paint. I use their products as well on my home with good success. My advice would be buy the best paint you can afford since it will provide better coverage and hold up better. Haven't seen or used PPG or Baer on any of my projects and frankly haven't seen them specified.
    I used SW Emerald in my house. My walls were so dry/porous I quickly regretted not putting a pure primer on first. The rooms I did look fantastic, the rooms the "pro" did (I ran out of time before all my furniture showed) don't look so hot; but that's not the paint's fault. VERY forgiving IMO. At times I got sloppy and put multiple coats on, sometimes not even in a straight line. Cannot see any of the roller strokes. My only real mistake other than hiring "pros who hit the ceiling multiple times) was not doing a good enough job sanding off the test samples which were semi-flat and not flat.

Benjamin Moore is the best. SWP is good and is the largest paint company in the US, so it can be found every where. If you don't know anything about paint the big box stores aren't helpful and store like SWP will have more knowledgeable employees. If you have a contractor friend they maybe able to help you out with the price of paint and sundries, if not you gonna pay for it.
    This.

Avoid the cheaper crap like Valspar. Its no really isnt cheaper, doesnt cover as well, and doesnt hold up as well. I wouldnt paint my outhouse with it.

edit to add "If I had an outhouse."

Have always used Ben Moore…. Used the latest Aura product lineup on recent interior and exterior work here. Have been really impressed with the Advance waterborne acrylic semi gloss product on trim work, windows, and doors. Modern waterborne formulations, at the the premium price points especially, are far better than the best old school, oil based paints that my great-grandfather and grandfather used/sold.

Sadly Purdy bushes aren’t the same these days…the brand sold out to Sherwin Williams. New brushes aren’t quite as good as the 25 year old brushes. Of course, modern paint formulations are vastly different than two decades ago when I was selling to contractors. Newer paint formulations do seem to be more challenging to clean out of synthetic bristles.

Last edited:
    BM, SW, or top of the line HD have all served me well. Tip... take your putty knife and score a line where your ceiling meets the wall. That indent keeps the paint from bleeding over and it works like a charm. No tapeing for me

• Love
    Reactions: Maggot
    PPG Manor Hall for wall paint. Used/tried most, if not all, in my 38+ years in the “industry”. I spec SW all the time, but if I’m rolling it on it will be Manor Hall every time. Easy application, outstanding durability, easy touch-up (a must-have characteristic, IMHO). Trim paint recommendation will vary by use-case, tell me more about your application if you want to know more about trim paint.

And, yes: Wooster brushes if available in your AO.

Painted the interior of our whole house when it was new. Home depot Behr primer followed by Pratt & Lambert Accolade paint with a 3/8 knap 18 inch roller. The big rollers make much quicker work of the walls. Brush work sucks no matter what, make the other half do the tedious shit.

Benjamin Moore Aura

As for brushes it seems like Purdy, Wooster, or Corona all work well or I'm just not skilled enough to have a preference.

I've only painted my house once but we did the exterior (Stucco) and complete interior.

BM store was awesome to deal with and the paint covered nearly twice as much as my neighbors who used a lower quality paint.

Reactions: Maggot and Krob95