• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Internal adjustment required

Ranger.RSA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
I'm currently searching for my first long range scope. I hope to go to at least 1000m with a 24" barreled 6.5CM with most likely 140gr bullets. What is the minimum internal adjustment I should be looking at? Would 60MOA be enough on a 20MOA rail?

At the glacial pace of 2650 fps you'll have a drop at 1000m of around 39 MOA.

Take off 20 for your rail, leaves you with 19 MOA of drop to take up with the scope. So a total of 40 MOA adjustment should sort you out close enough.

Last edited:
At the glacial pace of 2650 fps you'll have a drop at 1000m of around 39 MOA.

Take off 20 for your rail, leaves you with 19 MOA of drop to take up with the scope. So a total of 40 MOA adjustment should sort you out close enough.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you are saying, but this isn't really correct I don't think.

With a 40MOA scope, you might not be able to even get a 100 yard zero, as that would take you to zero adjustment before you have even fired a shot. The cant of your rail changes how much elevation you have available in your scope, but doesn't make a difference on a shot to shot basis.

If it takes you 39MOA to get to 1k, you will have to dial all 39 of that for the shot, not 19. So even if you could get a zero at 100 with your scope totally bottomed out, you are only going to have about 1 minute left past your required dial for 1k.

I would go for at least 60. 60 total/2=30 in each direction, 30+20 for the rail=~50 MOA up elevation at your disposal.

My current scope has 80, and I wish I had bought a 30MOA rail as I only have 60 of up instead of 70. You dont need a lot under your zero, but you need some just in case, so you actually can zero your rifle.

I meant it as an example of the bare minimum required. Of course you don't want to be at the extreme ends of your scope travel, however most scopes have far more than 40MOA.

Thanks again. One of the scopes I am looking at has 60MOA travel in total.
remember, this is 60 total.
30 down and 30 up.
That is a very low number when you consider many of the entry level scopes are offering anywhere from 95 to 110 MOA of adjustment.
I strongly encourage you to look at a scope that offers more adjustment, because whatever you're looking at is not geared towards long range shooting.

Reactions: TiroFijo
Choosing a scope for long range is really not an easy task on a tight budget! Guess it's back to savings I go. I'm just impaitient to get going...

Not sure what is available to your in SA, however, the Weaver 3-15 is really a dandy scope and can frequently be found under 700 dollars stateside.
It sports 100 MOA of elevation adjustment.
If you are okay with a second focal plane scope (contrary to popular belief, they are NOT evil incarnate), an excellent entry level option are the Sightron S Tac scopes.

I've upped my budget slightly and have "bought" a little more paitience. I'm going to hold on for a good used scope most likely. I have time as my rifle licence application is still in processing and that could take at least 3 months.