• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Internal vs External Action Wrench for Tikka

oniak

Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2013
Oregon
I plan on rebarreling a Tikka T3X. I am curious if there is any significant difference between the action wrenches that clamp onto the exterior vs the wrenches that slide into the receiver, like the one from PVA. Thanks for any info on your experience with these two kinds of action wrenches.

I’ve done several barrel changes on semi-autos using the Super Reaction Rod from Geissele. But, I have also used the exterior receiver blocks for semi-autos. I haven’t notice a big difference in performance between the two, but the torque values for bolt action barrels is quite a bit more than for semi-autos. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I used a Brownells universal external action wrench to remove the factory barrel, and a PVA internal rear entry wrench to install the new barrel.

The sides of a Tikka are parallel, so if you have a barrel vise and a square machinist's vise.....

Dont use the PVA one to remove the barrel. Its designed to shear to protect the receiver and it will shear before the barrel pops off. I destroyed mine that way. Its great for putting a new barrel on though. I ended up going back to the drawing board and got this cheapo 31mm wrench, put a cheater over it, put it on the receiver flats and it popped the barrel off as easy as could be: