• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

International self defense help while traveling

*Bones*

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
VA, Newport News
I am heading out of the country on vacation this weekend and was wondering the proper self defense tool I could carry without drawing unwanted attention to myself. In the past I have carried a carbon neck knife or a flat head screw driver. The knife could have possibly been sketch but the screw driver was perfectly fine. What else should I consider as a self defense carry item? Thanks in advance for the help and ideas.

Re: International self defense help while traveling

Beer bottle. You get to drink and in a pinch have a knife. You win twice brotha...

a riggers belt wrapped about the fist and wielded like a ball and chain will leave a mark.....if you can connect with it......but you gotta wear a wife beater shirt......just sayin

I've done the beer bottles and the riggers belt is a great idea however what about the plane and airport. FYI I'm heading to Jamaica for a week. Just wanted to give you an idea of the climate. Clothing will be minimum.

Bring your brain, by far it is the best thing you have to keep you out of trouble.
There are also improvised weapons everywhere, just look around.

I've been trained semi well by our uncle but I was just wondering if something new was out there. You can never be over prepared!

Maybe a trunk monkey? I think the new hot self defense fighting style is Mexican Judo.

Yep. I am packing now and will have the sure fire on the plane with me and the Benchmade in the suit case.

Pool ball and a sock. Once you get on the plane put pool ball in sock. Now you are prepared to smash skulls if need be.

I will still carry my flat head screw drive on me
cool.gif
I have always done that in the past. You get funny looks but you are allowed as long as its under 6"
smile.gif

You want the best self-defense weapon?

One you can carry on a plane?

one that was used in Martial Arts in the Phillipines, Okinawa?

Go to Wal-mart and buy a hardwood cane.

If you learn to use the hook around the neck with a downforce provided by your forearm (DO NOT PRACTICE THIS ON A HUMAN AS IT WILL BREAK THEIR NECK), and you can use it to center-poke someone in the stomach.

If I travel, I will take a cane with me....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MH0_UDhXQs0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MH0_UDhXQs0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0XAOA1JBa8&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s0XAOA1JBa8&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

+1 Brain....try to avoid conflict or a bad situation before you get in one they are usually pretty easy to spot.

I would say a small can of pepper spray once you get to where you are going.

Or a rape whistle

I remember a comedian doing a skit about how some guy was picking on him. So, he looked into all kinds of self defense classes, but they were too expensive. Luckily he found a cheap rape prevention class instead. It was hilarious when he'd show his moves like raking the eyes and yelling "stop!" Funny stuff.

I'm down in Brazil at the moment and thought about this beofre my trip. Coming to a slightly less than nice area of San Paulo i opted for a low profile appoach - out with the nice clothes, watch etc and in with a battered rental, non-descript clothing, cheap mobile and a few hundred $ in my pocket just in case i need to pay up...happy to lose the cash to get to walk away. None of this is any use if it all goes pete tong but i figured it was the best approach for me. Having a physical defensive item like a knife, screwdriver will only land me in the shit if the police find out and in reality is no use when most incidents involve multiple attackers - i ain't jackie chan. Low profile, keeping to public places as best as possible and varying my routine.

Wow. Brazil. How long have you been there? A buddy of mine that work for an airline was robbed beaten and left in the trunk of a car until he was found 23 hours later. Be careful down there.

Just over a week on this trip. Dangerous for sure, hearing lots of bad shit goes on and EVERYONE seems to be carrying but the locals have been great in helping direct me where to go and esp where not to - taking big detours where necessary...makes for a crap day and hours in traffic but if the locals say do it then i do.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure you can take all the precautions possible and still get unlucky.

My grandpa always carry sand in his pocket. Small ziploc bag should should work
smile.gif

Jeez... UPS your favored defense tool to yourself at your hotel and then UPS it back before you leave.

Easy.

FYI the locals don't play where you're going. Think guns and machetes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeez... UPS your favored defense tool to yourself at your hotel and then UPS it back before you leave.

Easy.

FYI the locals don't play where you're going. Think guns and machetes. </div></div>

Good luck getting any of that through customs.
There are a thousand improvised weapons, and it is always good to be prepared but nothing is a replacement for situational awareness.
If a situation does not feel right, it isn't, get the f out.
You can have a million little bits of advice, but none of it is going to stick. Try to be aware of your surroundings and the feel of the area, most crowded public place are relatively safe. Jamaica's tourist areas are going to be fine, just don't wander too far out of those areas. Also be very careful with getting intoxicated, it is too easy to get deep into a bad situation without noticing.
For a weapon, there are some good suggestions up, one of the easiest to acquire and replace is a simple piece of cloth like a bandana threaded through the hasp of a pad lock. The tails of a bandana sticking out of a pocket are not going to get a second glance, and if ever asked about it it is simple enough to grab one tail and it will come loose of the lock. If you get caught with a lock it is generally a non-issue.

Wahoo. I am back with no issues at all
cool.gif
The flat head screw driver and surefire are always good to go. The only issue I have is a sun burn
wink.gif