• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Internet and site problems

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
Starting yesterday when I would come to this site my internet would/will feeze. Then I would get kicked off, would only be able to look at a few pages before this would happen. But I could go to any other site and everything would work prorely. Is this my comp problem or site issue, it works fine on other sites but fouls up here. Thanks.

Re: Internet and site problems

Same thing happens to me. I can view about 5 or 6 posts, then the site locks up on me or won't open the next post if I click on it. It's been happening to me for awhile.

I've been having the same issue for a while. I have to shut down internet explorer and open it back up to get this site working again. Other sites work fine so i don't think it's an internet issue on my end. It happens pretty frequently, but not every time i'm on. At work, i don't get online very much, but when i do i haven't had the issue. Not sure if it's because i run firefox on my work pc or if it's because there is less site traffic that time of the day, etc.

You guys are getting kicked off? How so? Like you can't stay logged in? Or is the browser closing?

If the browser is closing, its on your end. If you are being logged out, that COULD go either way, however it is most likely on your end as well.

Simple fix would be to install and use a third party browser such as firefox or google chrome.

If you absolutely refuse to install a different browser, try navigating to a post, then hit Ctrl+F5. This is known as a "hard refresh." It will force the server to send all the information again which many times alleviates problems.

I don't think it's that I'm getting kicked off, and Internet Explorer isn't closing or freezing. It's just that the pages here won't load. I can go to other sites and they load fine, even in the same window or tab, but this site won't load. If i close the browser, and re-open the site will load again for a while. I stay logged in through all this... never had it log me out.

Like i mentioned before, the little bit i've been online from my work PC with firefox, i've never had this happen but i haven't been on enough there to be convinced that's the difference.

Same here. Not automatically logging me off. Just won't load. I'll close snipershide and go to other sites and will come back later and it will be working and I'm still logged in.

Well...im out of ideas =D

I haven't used IE in years =/

Yup. Pages won't load. And occasionally link not found. It's been that way for a few months.

Nothing has been changed other than the front page, there has been no updates to the forum, any missing links are ones that were on the front pages that were also linked to the forum.

So, for things to have "Changed' I think I would have to have changed something for it to be different, other than removing the front page links, nothing in the forum was changed, but I will be adding the latest updates.

Now, the text links on the left are held by an outside server so I have no control over that, and it can and will delay the loading of the pages when their system is experiencing an issue. But otherwise... nothing is different.

I use Firefox and Safari and I am mostly on a AirCard with less than full bars and I have no problem loading anything or being logged on, as well I also have absolutely no trouble logging people on when they say they are experiencing a problem. Usually they are using IE and its MS that is updating and changing things. Most of the time, it is a local problem and not a site problem, in that the security settings are too high, or something is blocking elements of the site because of things like the shout box. Everytime someone emails with a problem, I have been able to fix it here, so don't get upset when I roll my eyes a bit.

It's nothing new for me....these loading problems, I mean. It's been happening for me on several different computers for a long time. I just deal with it and it's no big deal to me unless I see something I want to buy and am not able to immediately PM somebody about it.

This site definately has the tech issues that everyone describes. I've used work computers with T3 connections, wireless "aircards", home cable, always have issues mostly at "peak hours". Lowlight says nothing has changed; how about the number of users to the site?? I bet thats changed, at the moment there is over 2000 people viewing this site and if I were a betting man i'd bet the the bandwidth is often peaked and just cant sustain the use.

So to sum it up, in my opinion I believe the site issues are due to shear Awesomeness on behalf of snipershide.com drawing many many gawkers, gawking over said awesomeness of content....

You guys are having some strange problems....... I browse SH from a multitude of platforms, and haven't had any problems. This is a huge forum and during peak hours it might not load as fast as a static HTML page, but I certainly wouldn't call it "slow".

Unless you are under corporate IT policy, I cannot fathom a single reason to run IE. If you are running IE 6, you are your own problem, and I imagine you have lots of problems with the internet. Seriously... download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and see if that helps alleviate your problems.

I also experience problems with the site, and the problem I'm seeing would happen with any browser. The site is unresponsive to a TCP handshake:

TCP 192.168.68.4:61862 206.125.47.33:80 SYN_SENT

SYN_SENT means I asked the server to open a TCP connection by sending a SYN. The server is supposed to respond with a SYN ACK. That normally happens fairly quickly (< 100ms on average for me - to this site), but it doesn't send a response for a number of seconds (if it ever does) and the TCP connection is timing out.

I've seen this issue from multiple computers, from multiple ISPs.

Same problem, different computer:

TCP 192.168.68.6:52307 206.125.47.33:80 SYN_SENT

I've also seen the symptoms, though I haven't taken the time to investigate as Rin has. Most likely what's happening is the firewall is detecting a SYN flood where an attacker attempts to open many many TCP connections at once, but not responding the the SYN ACK, thereby overloading the firewall (which must keep up with each open TCP connection.) The firewall will take defensive measures (ignoring new SYN requests) for a period until the number of new TCP requests/second falls below a certain threshold.

In my experience with this problem it was usually not an actual DOS attack but rather simply a need to increase the threshold on the firewall to accommodate odd periods of traffic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the firewall is detecting</div></div>

Many many public web servers, ones designed for high performance sites, don't reside behind stateful firewalls for that very reason. It's far more common for them to sit behind stateless ACLs which are applied to platforms that can filter in hardware/ASICs.

The nature of web servers is that nearly ALL connections are unsolicited, so the benefits of a firewall tracking state is very limited. DoS prevention is generally handled by active IPS systems and DoS mitigation platforms like Arbor Networks boxes.

It's really hard to say what kind of infrastructure this is hosted on.

There was a recent thread on NANOG (North American Network Operators Group) that discussed the merits, or lack thereof, of FW's in front of public facing web sites. It was titled "I don't need no stinking firewall!"

They found the origin of the errors and it appears to be on the server side of things. So they are working to correct it, and believe they indeed have done so.

If you have an issue from here forward let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have an issue from here forward let me know. </div></div>

It's been good so far.

Just happened again, 9:22 PM EST

TCP 192.168.68.6:57774 206.125.47.33:80 SYN_SENT

One more time:
TCP 192.168.68.6:50587 206.125.47.33:80 SYN_SENT

Do you want me to continue to document these?

As an FYI, if you want to pm me, they can't use the information with the router data like you have it. I have the IP from the site, but as you include it is a no go for the company to trace the problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they can't use the information with the router data like you have it. </div></div>

I understand. My intent with posting it is to illustrate the symptom, not necessarily enough data for them to work off of. I'd rather do it via PM since some data will have things I'd rather not share with the world - like my work IP.

I sent you, via PM, more specific data of another instance.

I have the same problem. No matter the time of day/night.
When I look at 3-5 post the site, or something just stops responding. When I click on a page or post nothing happens.

I have to close out and reopen IE and start over. When I view 3-5 post it does it again. Close out and start over.

It is happening now trying to post this message. It will not respond.

This has been happening to me for 5-8 months.

Thanks for the great site!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same problem. No matter the time of day/night.
When I look at 3-5 post the site, or something just stops responding. When I click on a page or post nothing happens.

I have to close out and reopen IE and start over. When I view 3-5 post it does it again. Close out and start over.

It is happening now trying to post this message. It will not respond.

This has been happening to me for 5-8 months.

Thanks for the great site! </div></div>

FWIW

I'd been plagued with this for the longest time also. And the email notification of PM's didn't work but they have been now for a couple of weeks.

About a month ago or so I decided to just stay <span style="font-weight: bold">logged on</span> and I have the homo box <span style="font-weight: bold">turned off</span> to see what happens. I haven't had a problem since, but it may be a coincidence. I use IE but have used Firefox too and that had the same problem.

Gotta' chime in here. The site has, at different times of the day on at least 3 different days this week alone, loaded at an incredibly slow rate - or not at all. Now I've worked very closely with DBAs at web-based companies and I realize there's such a thing as Internet congestion but I do not believe this is congestion related. My sense is that it's a server problem.

Not complaining, just observing for the benefit of all.

Is it the site or do you see that side box not loading...

When it happens try the home page. What I have seen is the links which are pulled from a different server are not loading all the time, which the site won't load until they do.

I have had them check the logs and they have been very proactive and can't find it on their end.

As a PS without Dates and TImes its meaningless to even say anything, try recording the date and time and we can check the logs

I knew you were going to ask for dates and times but right now I'm unable to provide that info. I will begin noting these disruptions and will provide them in the future.

The symptoms of the problem vary. Sometimes, I can't even access www.snipershide.com. Other times, it happens when I'm logged in and trying to move from page to page. I've never had a problem with the sidebox.

I'm new here, been lurkin for about 4 or 5 months and I have been having the problems described above the entire time. I can't read but 3 or 4 post before the threads stop loading. I like the info available on this site, but getting it is truly frustrating. So I looked and found this thread which exactly decribed the problems I was having, and decided to respond since no one has posted in it for 2 1/2 months, but it locked up and would not load the login page.This is the only site that I visit that does this, and I would definitely spend more time on here if it was fixed.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy:

As you can probably tell from my post count, I spend a fair bit of time here.

I have no such problems.

I'm running Windows Explorer 7 on a Vista OS.

I have the right column turned off in my display preferences. You might try doing the same, and see if your problem goes away.

Well I can't tell you anything about your problem because you haven't told me anything about it.

I travel pretty extensively and have not experienced the problem as well judging by the "Who's Online " count very few are having it.

So if you feel this problem is related to our server and not your ISP contact

[email protected] and describe in detail the nature of the problem referencing this site.

I was having the same problem some time back and it cleared up for about 7 months. Now it is back. Some days there are no issues then other days this site is like walking through mud it is so slow but I have no problems any where else.

I run Explorer 7 on both Vista and Windows 7. I experience some waits and some 'broken link' messages which I attribute to net and/or server traffic backlogs. I consider this part of the cost of using the Internet, and like as not, the problems are due to net traffic and not the site itself.

Having spent a significant part of my life and career supporting multi hundred user LAN's and such, I'll simply say that any traffic/capacity problem can be solved, as long as one has the wherewithal too pay the ferryman. I think that all things considered, the capacity of this site's infrastructure probably could benefit from some upgrades; but between you and me, for the price we pay, this place is a huge bargain just the way it is.

Greg

Everything worked fine for me until about a week ago when I got back on my local ISP after being gone for about 3 weeks. I frequent the site but was surprised to find out that I couldn't access the site thru any Browser(IE, Firefox, Google chrome). All other sites worked fine. I have to go thru a proxy server to access the site now. And the site loads extremely slow or sometimes not at all, or can't be found, I view a few post and get DNS cant find name after trying to go to another post. Where again I have no issues with other sites. Can anyone assist me on this one. Thanks,

Mark

UPDATE: Internet and site problems

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nightmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything worked fine for me until about a week ago when I got back on my local ISP after being gone for about 3 weeks. I frequent the site but was surprised to find out that I couldn't access the site thru any Browser(IE, Firefox, Google chrome). All other sites worked fine. I have to go thru a proxy server to access the site now. And the site loads extremely slow or sometimes not at all, or can't be found, I view a few post and get DNS cant find name after trying to go to another post. Where again I have no issues with other sites. Can anyone assist me on this one. Thanks,

Mark </div></div>

I took Frank's advice to another member a few posts up and contacted '[email protected]'. they fixed everything. Evidently my ISP did some updates and did't have any of Geovario servers on their "Big Approval List in the Sky". But Geovario cave me a temporary fix until they made contact with my ISP and fixed everything. Kudos to them!

Re: UPDATE: Internet and site problems

Left IE-7 loaded, an loaded FireFox as well, still have Hide problems with IE-7, but everything on the Hide works fine with Firefox.

It seems Internet Explorer continues to be something that just doesn't play nice with this website.

I have some work going on with the home page and even there, IE continues to give us headaches.

I tested the site with Chrome, Safari, and Firefox and they work perfectly, yet IE continues down a very bumpy road.

Bottom line: avoid Internet Explorer if you can.

I continue to have no problems with IE 7, with the latest updates. I hear of people continuing to have problems with IE 8, and not just on this site.

There are validation suites, but I'm sure the guys working on this site know that.

I have also experienced some of these same issues. Also, once, I lost my password and used the lost password recovery feature but it failed to work. Once I returned home and was able to retrieve my original password, I was able to get on again. A third problem that I often experience (5 minutes ago being the most recent) is that after signing on, I attempt to use the search feature and it takes me back to the sign-in screen again (repeatedly), it seems more to be caaused by a lag rather than getting kicked off though. Otherwise; the site is awesome.

I use chrome and have had somewhat regular FTF's since i first started viewing the site. A quick click on the Reload button usually gets me right back to business.

Have the same problem described above, from numerous computers and locations, when using IE7. Appears to be no problem when using Firefox.

Yep. Takes over a minute sometimes to load a page, and when it does it's in text format - hit refresh and the page pops up normally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to be acting up again the past couple days........</div></div>

I need more details than, "acting up", how do you expect me to go to the company with "acting up" and expect them to do anything about it.

They will respond, but I need details as to what "acting up" means... if you can't give me anything more than that, you are just wasting everyone's time and I will simply blame it on your ISP acting up... because if only a select few experience it, and you can't explain it, the it is not happening on our side of things.

Sorry Frank.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......Takes over a minute sometimes to load a page, and when it does it's in text format - hit refresh and the page pops up normally. </div></div>

What he said.

IE7, laptop wireless and two seperate PC's, one windowsXP Pro and one Vista.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......Takes over a minute sometimes to load a page, and when it does it's in text format - hit refresh and the page pops up normally. </div></div>

What he said.</div></div>

+1 Sometimes the sight takes a long time to load. I was thinking maybe it is my computer. But it will load all other sites but not this one.

The first problem is using Internet Explorer with this site... that is problem number one.

UBB has reported issues and no matter the temporary fix, they all manifest again in some format. No version of Internet Explorer works well. They are hoping for better fixes when UBB 8 comes out, but that is about 6 months out, maybe 3 at best.

I have found Firefox and Chrome to work best.

The loading is basically a conflict between the cache size and the different elements that load on the page. It's not a site specific issue but a processing issue with the browser.

It's more akin to a local issue than a site issue. There are times when there is a drag on the site, and that may create a small conflict, but mostly those only happen during the switch change which is about 20 after the hour.

The email is just the strain on the system. The vast amount of posts and PMs with people using the site to notify them sucks a lot of power. That is the biggest drain on resources is the email system. Because the site sends out some many emails, some ISPs will question whether it is SPAM or not as they feel the site server is flooding the world with email. So that puts the email in check.

Traffic and volume have consequences, not a whole I can do, but each issue I submit for resolution and the company does well to address it.