• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interview with Philip Velayo - Precision Rifle Episode

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Got it teed up for my drive to the range in the morning.

This was a really great podcast to listen to. Could’ve been longer! Well done guys

Right on! The discussion of ones objective when competing, the true riflemen, and the 25lb 6mm goes right into my line of thinking on the game as a whole. We should be steering the game to reward real shooters(real riflemen), not steering it to reward impractical equipment and skills at managing that equipment. Not that the top guys can’t shoot because I’m sure they can. But the emotions that come out when rear tripods are discussed tells you all you need to know. Guys aren’t confident that they can make a shot without it. That’s not good for PR in general.

I’ll be out there driving a 6.5 with minimal equipment because that’s what is fun to me. If I can finish in front of 80% of the field, some of who are using a 25lb 6mm and a rear tripod, it feels like a win to me and makes me a better shooter in the real world which is the ultimate goal.

Right on! The discussion of ones objective when competing, the true riflemen, and the 25lb 6mm goes right into my line of thinking on the game as a whole. We should be steering the game to reward real shooters(real riflemen), not steering it to reward impractical equipment and skills at managing that equipment. Not that the top guys can’t shoot because I’m sure they can. But the emotions that come out when rear tripods are discussed tells you all you need to know. Guys aren’t confident that they can make a shot without it. That’s not good for PR in general.

I’ll be out there driving a 6.5 with minimal equipment because that’s what is fun to me. If I can finish in front of 80% of the field, some of who are using a 25lb 6mm and a rear tripod, it feels like a win to me and makes me a better shooter in the real world which is the ultimate goal.

I'm completely with you, but I think we should just be looking into practical shooting venues. PRS and NRL are what they are. Practical isn't in the name and they have become what their demographic wants them to be. I had a discussion with @lowlight about practical rifles and what part of the market this community is. They don't represent the practical shooting market. People need to quit the convolution. It may have all derived from it, hell all shooting disciplines probably derived from a practical aspect, but then they became sport.

Doesn't mean there cant be some overlap in firearms technology. But the real practical shooting community need to be able to identify where the game ends and reality begins.

Every sniper in the military would probably love to have a custom rifle built for them, but its not practical. Every Sniper would love to have hand-loaded ammunition, but its not practical. etc, etc.

I imagine most PRS shooters would like to believe that they could deploy right now and defeat the enemy, but for most that's not reality.

Reactions: RS14 and AIAW
    I'm completely with you, but I think we should just be looking into practical shooting venues. PRS and NRL are what they are. Practical isn't in the name and they have become what their demographic wants them to be. I had a discussion with @lowlight about practical rifles and what part of the market this community is. They don't represent the practical shooting market. People need to quit the convolution. It may have all derived from it, hell all shooting disciplines probably derived from a practical aspect, but then they became sport.

Doesn't mean there cant be some overlap in firearms technology. But the real practical shooting community need to be able to identify where the game ends and reality begins.

Every sniper in the military would probably love to have a custom rifle built for them, but its not practical. Every Sniper would love to have hand-loaded ammunition, but its not practical. etc, etc.

I imagine most PRS shooters would like to believe that they could deploy right now and defeat the enemy, but for most that's not reality.

Yes, the assumption that all members of the Armed Forces are top-notch marksmen that gives them a native advantage is one of the largest bullshit myths of all time. First hand experience there. Mentally, yes. Physically, yes. Logically, not in the slightest.

Big difference between hopping out of a comfy bed onto a little course and slinging lead with a degree of accuracy versus humping 40+ pounds of gear 20 miles, eating shitty MRE's for X days while taking in minimal hydration and freezing your balls off, crawling and proned out for that length of time - relying on a weapon system that isn't even remotely as accurate as a competition rig... while being hunted yourself. You know, math and science stuff.

The fact that people think a top PRS competitor with no prior MIL experience could deploy, kick ass and take names is rather naive in a way. They have zero traits in common outside of tool that is used in my opinion.

Simply put, everything is different but people like to make them seem the same. One of these is a fun game, the other is your ass.

Last edited:
    I really gravitate to what Frank, Caylen and Phil are about because I’m all about the “practicality-ness”. I shoot matches suppressed, and my barrel is pretty damn skinny compared to most (Bartlein in Remington Varmint contour). Just filled up my gamechanger with git-lite, and I would take this bag on my next elk hunt. I’m competing against myself and I’m happy my finishes this year have improved over 2018 when I started competing.

Yes, the assumption that all members of the Armed Forces are top-notch marksmen that gives them a native advantage is one of the largest bullshit myths of all time. First hand experience there. Mentally, yes. Physically, yes. Logically, not in the slightest.

Big difference between hopping out of a comfy bed onto a little course and slinging lead with a degree of accuracy versus humping 40+ pounds of gear 20 miles, eating shitty MRE's for X days while taking in minimal hydration and freezing your balls off, crawling and proned out for that length of time - relying on a weapon system that isn't even remotely as accurate as a competition rig... while being hunted yourself. You know, math and science stuff.

The fact that people think a top PRS competitor with no prior MIL experience could deploy, kick ass and take names is rather naive in a way. They have zero traits in common outside of tool that is used in my opinion.

Simply put, everything is different but people like to make them seem the same. One of these is a fun game, the other is your ass.

I'm with you brother, Sniper, then Instructor and now work as a Sniper SME for the Army. I love all aspects of this game, but know where the difference lie

I really gravitate to what Frank, Caylen and Phil are about because I’m all about the “practicality-ness”. I shoot matches suppressed, and my barrel is pretty damn skinny compared to most (Bartlein in Remington Varmint contour). Just filled up my gamechanger with git-lite, and I would take this bag on my next elk hunt. I’m competing against myself and I’m happy my finishes this year have improved over 2018 when I started competing.
    Yeah they make a lot of since to me too. I gravitate toward the field matches myself. But, I see value to all aspects.

Reactions: JC0352
    Thanks for everyone's positive feedback guys. I enjoy sharing my passion of long range with everyone. More to come for sure, this is just the beginning. But I appreciate Frank having me on his platform and allowing me to voice my thoughts on a bigger spectrum. Happy holidays everyone and looking forward to 2020!

P.S. You will start seeing me a little more active on the Hide lately! I think i figured it out!!!!! Ha! #millenial

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback guys. I enjoy sharing my passion of long range with everyone. More to come for sure, this is just the beginning. But I appreciate Frank having me on his platform and allowing me to voice my thoughts on a bigger spectrum. Happy holidays everyone and looking forward to 2020!

P.S. You will start seeing me a little more active on the Hide lately! I think i figured it out!!!!! Ha! #millenial
    Shit man, this is like day two for me. I still don’t understand half the crap on here.

I really want more on the Precision Marksman. It’s what I am looking for! Not a competitive shooter but will shoot some competitions locally to get the training. I’m only interested in getting put in situations out of my comfort zone . I will never hunt 2 legged game again but still want to train that way. SF

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    Awesome episode from two guys who have forgot more than I’ll ever know about precision rifle.

As others have said. I’m more for the practical application of things. But I see where PRS matches can help me grow as a shooter.