• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Intro - Be gentle

TwoLeftThumbs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
First, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I attempted to find a more generic/conversational category, but this seemed to be the winner as most of the others are very specific.

Second, hi there. My name's Ryan and I'm very new to this whole world. New, as in just getting interested in the sport of long range shooting. I have a few friends who recommended Sniper's Hide as a good forum to join to get some recommendations, general information and meet some responsible, knowledgeable folks. This sounded good to me as I know basically nothing, but am open and willing to learn. I've always been curious about long distance. There's something about the patience and exactness of it that's endlessly fascinating to me.

All that said, I guess the main question is: Where should I start? (Would you folks recommend a book? Renting anything and everything I can get my hands on or should I start with a few specific models? Are there any schools or classes that I should look for to start with?) I know it seems like a really broad question here, but I want to go about this right and would love to hear some opinions.

So then, I'll shut up and listen.
smile.gif

Re: Intro - Be gentle

welcome. i spend a lot of time reading and asking questions on this forum. i try not to post unless i genuinly have something of quality to add to a post otherwise they tend to become a jumbled mess. my suggestion for a complete and total beginner is to check out the member link up forum and try to meet some hide members in your area. see if you can arrange some trips to the range with them and check out their setups. depending on who you find, they may let you use some of their rigs to see what works best for you. much easier to learn from a variety of others than to buy and find out something doesnt work for you.

If you are completely new to precision long-range shooting. I suggest getting a mentor as described above. I would also suggest starting with a 22LR rifle first, as ammo is cheaper, recoil is minimal, and cost is much less. Work on your trigger control, shooting positions, breathing, etc with that before proceeding to getting a larger caliber rifle. In the mean time this will also give you a better idea of what you want isn't of spending too much upfront and regretting not getting the right equipment for you.

I would tell you, that a CZ 22lr rifle with a Mil-Dot scope will serve you very well.

Its a great start, and you can shoot 22lr out to 300yds. Also it does not limit you to range I.E. Indoor, Pistol ranges or what ever is near you.

TRUST me, its worth it.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoLeftThumbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So then, I'll shut up and listen.
smile.gif
</div></div>

That's a bingo! I like this guy already.

Oh, HERE'S my post. Thanks to the moderator who moved me to the correct forum. However, maybe a note next time to tell me where it went?
smile.gif

Right. That's how I found it. But for some reason it didn't show up in the "watched" list even though I'm "watching" it. Just trying to figure out the ins and outs of this particular forum. Others will show a "topic moved" or will shoot you an PM to tell you if it happened. Just trying to find my way on here. No big deal.

I suggest signing up for the Sniper's Hide Online Training. Also a book I would suggest is by Bryan Litz, Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting.

You will see that a lot of the large rifle/scope/accessory manufacturers are on this site. I would suggest always doing a search before posting a question, if you feel after searching for quite some time you have exhausted yourself with no answer, then ask your question. You will fit right in if you observe and retain.

I would be glad to help in any way possible.

Welcome.

Sounds great, NP. Just needed a place to start. I've already been doing a lot of reading. Thanks for the recos!

One learns by doing, and better in the presence of experience.

I think there can be no better implement for learning marksmanship basics than a reliable rimfire rifle, and preferably a .22. I say reliable, rather than accurate, because I think a .22lr that's in respectable condition is going to be sufficiently accurate at the inherent level that knowledge and progress can be achieved and recognized. Getting sidetracked on perfectionism is not central to the main task.

The experience is probably best found in the same place as the rifle, ask around at the counter about where folks do their shooting, and preferably in an organized setting.

The NRA has regular training programs and instructor certification. They have good, if generalized, beginner texts and contact information for local certified instruction.

The .22lr's key advantages are cost of use and ownership, and ease of employment in a more local area. You don't need big distances.

Once you know the basics, you can pass them on to a partner. The passing on will help solidify your own knowledge, and a partner can share observation and coaching back and forth with you.

Never try and make this journey alone.

Greg

Central Cascade Precision is in your area. They are well respected. After you get your rimfire trainer set up, take a class there. They might have rifles/optics available for rental.

Taking a precision rifle course will give you a good idea of the type of centerfire gear you will need.

Welcome to the forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One learns by doing, and better in the presence of experience.

I think there can be no better implement for learning marksmanship basics than a reliable rimfire rifle, and preferably a .22. I say reliable, rather than accurate, because I think a .22lr that's in respectable condition is going to be sufficiently accurate at the inherent level that knowledge and progress can be achieved and recognized. Getting sidetracked on perfectionism is not central to the main task.

The experience is probably best found in the same place as the rifle, ask around at the counter about where folks do their shooting, and preferably in an organized setting.

The NRA has regular training programs and instructor certification. They have good, if generalized, beginner texts and contact information for local certified instruction.

The .22lr's key advantages are cost of use and ownership, and ease of employment in a more local area. You don't need big distances.

Once you know the basics, you can pass them on to a partner. The passing on will help solidify your own knowledge, and a partner can share observation and coaching back and forth with you.

Never try and make this journey alone.

Greg </div></div>

This post should be a sticky in any Noob orientated forum/thread. Just excellent.

S'OK; I don't mind repeating myself for the newer folks' benefit.

Lots of folks here could/would have said similar. That's the whole point about The 'Hide...