• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Intro to 600 Yard Shooting- July 30, Louisiana

RStewart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
SE Louisiana
<span style="font-weight: bold">Introduction to 600 Yard Shooting- Saturday July 30th at 9:00 AM </span>
PALO ALTO RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB, Donaldsonville, Louisiana

Introduction to 600 Yard Shooting

Saturday July 30th at 9 AM. Cost is $30. This class will include classroom training prior to shooting.

http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/directions.htm

This introduction will include both classroom and field shooting at 300yds and 600yds. The classroom will include information on calibers, rifling twists, bullet weights, ballistic coefficients, and bullet trajectory corrections in minutes-of-angle.

The student should provide a suitable rifle and forty rounds of ammunition. The rifle must have a good 100 or 200yd zero and be capable of producing sufficient velocity and accuracy to be safe at 600yds.. The scope must be a minimum of 10 power and have at least 16 minutes of available elevation above the 100yd zero. In order to be able to return to 100yd zero from distance settings, all scopes should be adjusted to mechanical zero on the knobs. Only iron sights on American military type rifles (AR-Hbar, Garand, M-1A) or match rifles are permitted. Barrel length minimum is 18". In .223 caliber, the minimum bullet weight will be 75 grains. Heavy barrels are preferred as are heavier bullets per caliber, and scopes with target knobs.

This is not an effort to see IF the rifle can hit the target at 600yds. It is a procedure to prove continuous safe and accurate fire at distances to 600yds. with suitable rifles.

THE SHOOTING PROCESS
Following the classroom work, shooting will begin at the 300yd line, firing from the student's preferred position. Portable tables, bi-pods, etc. are fine. Five to ten shots to prove zero should be sufficient. If a shooter is unable to demonstrate accuracy and 300yd precision, he will retire. Shooters will alternate shooting and pit duty.

The group will then convene on the 600yd line and repeat the process. It will be at the range officer's discretion to remove shooters or equipment deemed to be unsafe or inappropriate.

PREREGISTRATION INFORMATION-
If you plan to attend, please fill in the below information, copy and paste into an email to [email protected] or [email protected] prior to the class. When emailing, please note if you are a current Palo Alto member.

Name______________________________________________ ____

Address___________________________________________ _____

City, State, Zip___________________________________________

Caliber________________ Bullet (wt.)___________

Velocity_______________ Barrel Length_________

Scope Power___________

Re: Intro to 600 Yard Shooting- July 30, Louisiana

No. This is open to anyone who wants to attend. Also, anyone shooting in one of our sanctioned matches (XTC, 600 yd prone, FPR, etc.) is not required to be a club member, either.

We will be holding a Wind Reading class on Saturday August 20th. I'll be posting that info up soon, too.

This sounds awesome as I have been dying to do some shooting at 600 yards which I have never done before. Will you have plenty of room in the class? I have about 1 or 2 more people that may want to come with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RStewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. This is open to anyone who wants to attend. Also, anyone shooting in one of our sanctioned matches (XTC, 600 yd prone, FPR, etc.) is not required to be a club member, either.

We will be holding a Wind Reading class on Saturday August 20th. I'll be posting that info up soon, too. </div></div>

I will definitely be attending the wind reading class. Thanks for the post

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: str8razor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds awesome as I have been dying to do some shooting at 600 yards which I have never done before. Will you have plenty of room in the class? I have about 1 or 2 more people that may want to come with me. </div></div>

You should be fine. Just email your info to xmeister or myself, so we can add you.

Sounds like a well thought out class, and an excellent way to bring new shooters into the sport. Good job...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barrel Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a well thought out class, and an excellent way to bring new shooters into the sport. Good job...
</div></div>

Thanks.
Many people have been surprised at what they and their equipment are capable of. These type classes have brought several F-class and FPR shooters to the sport.

Had 22 shooters at the clinic today. I hope they had as much fun attending as we did putting it on.