• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Intro to machining books ??

JJones75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2008
southern , LA
I've got a buddy that over seas rightnow and wants to get into a trade school for machining when he gets how , he would like to get some books and read up on some of the basics before he gets to school.

He can operate a lathe and mill some what , he can turn down parts and bore holes in bar stock (made a couple firecrackers) but thats about it , he wants some books explaining how to thread , proper speeds and feed rates and so on so that he is not going inot schools blind.

Are their any good text books or manuals that I can ship to him to get a head start?

Re: Intro to machining books ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would sugest the machinists handbook.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0831128003

Spendy, but its the only book i have found that i have a use for. </div></div>

+100000

This is what you need without any doubt. I still go back to mine all the time its tough as hell to memorize all those numbers to all the different types of machining you can do. I would not buy anything else but this book!!!!

I have to agree about the Machinists Hand book. I am a engineering student and this book is amazing! But if your just starting its a little much and does not show thing on how to use the tools.

Macheneries Handbook is invaluable for SPECIFICS like threading and heat treating. Be sure to get the handbook of formulas that is it's companion.

Machine tool operation by Burghardt

Practical shop mathmatics by wolfe & phelps

Millwright & machanics guide by Audel

These may or may not be exactly what he's looking for. But he really wants to learn to be a machinist they'll give him a good start.

When I took a machine shop class at the local tech school the book they had us buy is called "Technology of Machine Tools" sixth edition. I found it to be useful although we never really went over the book in class I would and still do read through it when I am curious about something. You may want to find out what the required books are for the class that he wants to take so he can be ahead of the curve and won't have to shell out for it when he gets started.