• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introducing a youth to shooting... what rifle?

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I have a 6 year old about to turn 7 that I would like to introduce to rifle shooting. I really don't like the idea of buying a junior rifle, because it is basically a throw away once my youngest hits 10 or 11. I would rather spend the money on a great rifle that I can restock. I have a couple of Remington 40X 22LR barreled actions and was thinking about getting a junior stock, so I could upgrade to something the right size when he is of age.

My buddy had a pretty good idea of going ahead and getting a braked AR-15 with a collapsible stock. The recoil is pretty mild and the stock will collapse down to a good size for a youth. Any ideas out there? What have y'all done?

The suggestion above is an excellent one, and the same holds true for other rifles such as the Savage .22LR bolt actions, or even a Ruger 10/22; both of which are abundant and cheap (people are always upgrading, so you can buy cheap and modify to his size), and are reliable and accurate. I think a bolt gun will help him concentrate on basics and take away the urge to speed fire, and also believe that having him take ownership of the rifle, as in it being "his" (not the same as him storing it, etc.), is more motivating than him simply using your gun. Not that a regular, normal, boy should need any motivation whatsoever to shoot guns, go fishing, throw around some dirt, pull his sister's hair, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:
Start them on a 22 bolt action.
Both of my boys started on a CZ Scout.
I like it because it comes setup with a dummy mag to turn it into a single shot.
Then you can replace with a 10 rd mag when ready.

I think they should shot a LOT of 22 before moving up.

As for the AR, yes but no break as they concussion is bad for a new shooter.

I second the .22 approach as well. Consider age as well and the same with the brake, etc. I made a small mistake and even with no brake, turned my daughter off for a while on the AR series with muzzle blast. I started mine off on the Cricket rifles, even drew a picture of the the sights and placement on a certain target so they would really know what they should see. Strangely enough-you would be surprised sometimes when an adult isn't hitting and you ask them precisely what they "see" ref sight picture.

Start them on a 22 bolt action.
Both of my boys started on a CZ Scout.
I like it because it comes setup with a dummy mag to turn it into a single shot.
Then you can replace with a 10 rd mag when ready.

I think they should shot a LOT of 22 before moving up.

As for the AR, yes but no break as they concussion is bad for a new shooter.

I don't have a seven year old to give a gun to, yet. But a few months after I turned seven I received my first rifle and shotgun. If it were me I would skip the AR or any sort of semi-auto and focus on a bolt action .22. If I could afford it I would get a nice wood stocked CZ (455?). I would have that stock cut down to fit him. And as he grew I would have a stock fitter add spacers and a pad to elongate the LOP. I've worked with a guy who would do a nice job for not a ton of money. If money were tight I would look at a Marlin. I would not use an action I already had though he's almost certain, at a later age, to want one of those 40x actions put together. But no matter how awesome, there's just something about hand me downs at that age IIRC (its been a few years!).

I would get him started on his own gun and give him the gift of pride of ownership and the burden of great responsibility. And unlike my youthful days, I would keep it locked up for him while still emphasizing it is his. While you do hear about kids accidentally killing their sister with a .22 or some other horrific event these days it really, for me anyway, comes back to the fact of today's America that very few kids are brought up right. Too many people who don't have to work for a living because they're on the dole (the devil will find work for idle hands and all that), too many single mothers, and too much craziness in television and movies where right and wrong, good and evil, are too murky and clouded to help keep a young kid straight. And let me be clear -- I'm not talking about your kid. Your kid must be alright or you wouldn't be considering this. I'm talking about the friends and friends of friends who inevitably spoil the whole bunch with their rottenness, or are simply dangerous and/or unpredictable.

Edit: And I would absolutely get one with iron sights.

Last edited:
Started my son out on the same gun I started on a Winchester 22 bolt action at 5yrs old. I bought him his own S&W M&P 15-22 last Cristmas at age 7. Now this year he wants a Savage MKII heavy barrel to add to his collection.

whatever it is you decide to go with I would be interested in knowing my daughter is 6 so im thinking this summer will be good to teach her more about firearms.

Cricket is great to start out one shot is safer most likley. But i really like the irons on henry lever guns and its somthing he would like for the rest of his life. I still have and love my first gun a rossi pump 22 i got it when i was 5. And every time i look at it i think of my grandpa. Im 33 and it still gets used so thats somthing to think about. You cant beat a classic gun

Fundamentals and trigger control .22lr, .17HMR, or .22 mag somewhere around there. Then progressively introduce him to .223 get him used to that then .243/.308 and so on. Not all once like i'm writing but gradually. Having proper fundamentals when transitioning calibers will be huge. When i got into rifle shooting i had a bad flinch and found myself going back to .22lr helped out quite a bit.

I did the cz scout for his first gun. It is a great first gun that will last and you can restock it later. I did like the single shot adapter that it came with and eventually added a couple of 10rd mags for it.

After a while on that one I had a 223 bolt gun that I put into a chassis that would take an AR collapsible stock. It works great and is as cheap so shoot as my 17hmr that he also likes. He is a great shooter while still on the smaller side a collapsible stock was about my only option. Plus it adjusts so that it is comfortable for me too.

I am a strong advocate of teaching youngsters with a .22 LR. You don't want a 6 year old to develop a terrible flinching habit, because he is scared of the recoil. The savage rascal is a great starter rifle. If you want a little nicer rifle that should last many generations, look at the CZ Scout. I have both the Rascal and the Scout for my kids and they have been great. The Rascal is nicer for smaller kids, due to its shorter length of pull and lighter weight.

Cricket is great to start out one shot is safer most likley. But i really like the irons on henry lever guns and its somthing he would like for the rest of his life. I still have and love my first gun a rossi pump 22 i got it when i was 5. And every time i look at it i think of my grandpa. Im 33 and it still gets used so thats somthing to think about. You cant beat a classic gun

I agree a single shot is a great way to go with a beginning youth shooter. I have a Cricket, Savage Rascal, and CZ Scout. I prefer the Rascal over the Cricket, due to its much nicer trigger and how lifting the bolt will cock the gun at the same time.

I was also given a pump .22 by my grandfather as a youth. Every time I see it, I think of all the fun we had together at his ranch. It is an item that will never leave my family.

What ever happened to starting a little kid on a air rifle???

Let em grow up a little bit before you put a firearm in there hands, seriously.

I started my daughter off at 9 or 10 with a cheap Chinese air rifle with the butt stock cut short and in the back yard, then used the gun for the two boys when they got that age. Later it was given to a inlaws son. It was about $40 back then.

Just earlier this year I witnessed a guy trying to teach a little girl about that age (6-7) how to shoot with a 22 pistol. He got distracted for a second and almost got shot because she turned towards him to ask him something, at which time he noticed what she had done, next thing we knew there was an AD! The bullet barley missed him!

I got my kids both some old, inexpensive single shot 22's when my oldest was 2 or 3. I think I am into them $100 for the pair. Both rifles are over 75yrs old but accurate as can be. One had the stock already chopped down, the other I took it to the miter box before I refinished it. They work great. My oldest has been shooting his since he was 4. Now at 6 he can ring a 10x12" steel plate at 50-80yds with pretty good regularity with the target peep sights on his gun. His younger brother at 4 is still struggling to figure it out but he is a lot more easily distracted by shiny things so that doesn't help.

For me I am a big fan of the single shot if a young kid has never shot before. Once they master that, move them up to a bolt gun or a semi. My progression I am going to do with my kids will be single shots they already have to using a spare stock I chopped down for their mom's 10/22, then I am going to give them each their own AR with a 22lr upper on it. Personally I would much rather have an AR in 22 than a 10/22. This way too, when they are ready I can put any other upper on those AR lowers so they could go hunting, shoot long range, or do whatever they want. Never been too fond of 10/22's and the lego aspect of the AR I think will appeal to them later on. And worse case that they don't want the AR's for what ever reason, then I have 2 more ARs for me. :D

What ever happened to starting a little kid on a air rifle???

Let em grow up a little bit before you put a firearm in there hands, seriously.

I started my daughter off at 9 or 10 with a cheap Chinese air rifle with the butt stock cut short and in the back yard, then used the gun for the two boys when they got that age. Later it was given to a inlaws son. It was about $40 back then.

Just earlier this year I witnessed a guy trying to teach a little girl about that age (6-7) how to shoot with a 22 pistol. He got distracted for a second and almost got shot because she turned towards him to ask him something, at which time he noticed what she had done, next thing we knew there was an AD! The bullet barley missed him!

Most 6-10 year olds will struggle with cocking a springer. Not sure why you're blaming the .22 pistol for the guys lack of attention, same thing could happen with any type of gun.

I'd go .22 bolt, wouldn't even consider a centerfire at all, too much muzzle blast for a kid to learn on.

Started my 6 year old on the good ole Daisey lever action BB gun. Once I knew he liked shooting, I stepped him up to the bolt .22lr with irons. Of course he wanted to shoot with a scope like daddy, so I put him on my .22lr Savage MkII BTVS. Now at age 7, he out shoots some grown ups at the range (when I can get him to stop singing Spongebob). This summer I got him a youth model bolt in .243 thinking he will shoot his first deer. Big mistake. The increase in muzzle blast and recoil made him not want to shoot for a while. We're back on the .22 until I can find a .223 single shot heavy barrel that I can have threaded for my suppressor. His first deer will have to wait until next year.

It's a hell of a proud feeling watching your kid shoot better than some grown ups. Enjoy it... Every minute of it.

Bill

I have started both of my kiddos on the Savage Rascal. Went down the road of the BB gun however the LOP was too much. The rascal is perfect for them. Operates like all of my bolt guns and transition will be easy in the future. I have left the iron sights on them both however they are drilled and tapped for optics. I'd recommend one of the Rascals any day. My daughter is going to start practicing for an NRA Postal Match through their 4-H group. She shoots it like a champ.

I started both my daughters on 22 lr Mossberg 715. It is their 22 in a quasi M-4 frame which worked great because she was small and with the collapsible stock it fit her and I also felt that the sights being the traditional AR style rear sight aperture and front sight post allowed for a better teaching platform. The second thing for me was I didn't want to spend money on a tiny 22 then have to upgrade again. Now I can't get her to shoot the Mossberg because she is shooting my Savage Mk II TR .22 lr which has a scope on it. I didn't let her shoot scope until she grouped very well open sights at 25 yards to instill the fundamentals of marksmanship. The second thing I have to say is be leery of youth model centerfires, I borrowed a buddies .243 youth model for her to deer hunt last year and she cried and cried after shooting it one time. I messed up and made her shoot it again one last time if she wanted to go hunting which she did and cried the whole time, which made her very very recoil sensitive. I shot the rifle after she made such a fuss and it kicked like a mule, way worse than my 700 sps tactical in 308. Damn near scope checked myself it kicked so hard, she shoots my 6.5 creedmoor and its heavy barreled and she is fine with it after about a year of working back up to centerfire due to her recoil sensitivity and my stupidity. I will tell you though nothing better than spending the day at the range with your kid or kids and seeing them falling in love with the sport.

I bought mine (7yo) a CZ 452 trainer. We decided she will get a chance to shoot it when she matures. That was a year ago, and she is almost there. She has been asking about shooting, and we look forward to teaching her fundamentals with a cartridge that is small, practically no recoil, and will allow her to master trigger control for years to come. I did not want her to learn to shoot on an auto loader, so it was either a single shot or bolt action. I learned on a single shot, and the downside was breaking concentration to lift the gun, exit shooting stance, break it and reload it. When I began shooting bolt action, I was able to concentrate and learned faster.

As stated so many times above, a 22lr is the way to go, he can shoot all day and not brake the bank.

If he ends not liking shooting, heaven forbid, you have rodent gun / can killer.

Most 6-10 year olds will struggle with cocking a springer. Not sure why you're blaming the .22 pistol for the guys lack of attention, same thing could happen with any type of gun.

I'd go .22 bolt, wouldn't even consider a centerfire at all, too much muzzle blast for a kid to learn on.

Yes it was the Dad's fault for loosing concentration, "and letting a young child have control of a mechanism capable of killing someone"! Imagine if he'd been shot and killed??? Then imagine what the tragedy would have done to the family, especially the little girl! He took a chance placing that firearm in her hand to begin with. I didn't like the idea of him doing so as soon as I saw the scenario unfolding. I actually told him so and mentioned the same thing I'm telling you guys now. Start little kids off on a airgun so "if" a accident were to happen the consequences are not life threatening.

A BB gun or pellet gun is flat out a better way to teach a kid how to shoot and for more reasons than safety.

BTW, my daughter was "old enough" to both cock the 5 ftlb pellet gun, load it and fire it by herself and possessed the maturity to understand the dangers involved with gun handling. Getting my point yet?

Now, my youngest boy was still iffy at 9 years old to even handle a pellet gun safely. Just how the silly kid was. A year later and after a few stern reprimands he was OK.

Last edited:
I started my son when he was four. He started driving my spr and AIAE like a boss by five. He turns eight this spring and will be getting a 300 blackout for hunting.

Yes it was the Dad's fault for loosing concentration, "and letting a young child have control of a mechanism capable of killing someone"! Imagine if he'd been shot and killed??? Then imagine what the tragedy would have done to the family, especially the little girl! He took a chance placing that firearms in her hand to begin with. I didn't like the idea of him doing so as soon as I saw the scenario unfolding. I actually told him so and mentioned the same thing I'm telling you guys now. Start little kids off on a airgun so "if" a accident were to happen the consequences are not life threatening.

A BB gun or pellet gun is flat out a better way to teach a kid how to shoot and for more reasons than safety.

BTW, my daughter was "old enough" to both cock the 5 ftlb pellet gun, load it and fire it by herself and possessed the maturity to understand the dangers involved with gun handling. Getting my point yet?

Now, my youngest boy was still iffy at 9 years old to even handle a pellet gun safely. Just how the silly kid was. A year later and after a few stern reprimands later he was OK.

I can agree that a .22 pistol is not the right choice to start someone out shooting. I have the single shot rifles and both kids (7/9) do well with them. I did give them both a chance to shoot my Ruger Mark III... Showed them by shooting it myself and then again, explained exactly what would happen after each trigger pull. My daughter was fine and recalled the discussion.

My son was excited after the first shot and did exactly what I thought he would do. He got excited and began to turn, round in the chamber and finger on the trigger. I knew it would happen and expected it to happen with both of them however, my daughter is a little OCD and very detailed and did as she was told. He didn't turn very far and the pistol was still pointed down range. I was ready for it though. There was no way I would have left it in their hands and felt compelled to turn away. I don't see a problem with starting them on.22 LR in a single shot platform but I do agree, a pistol is not the place to start a child.

With the rifles, I felt it was important for them to know that after the round was down range, they were not done until they showed clear and engaged the safety. My daughter does it with certainty now. My son still needs reminders "finishing".

I bought a .22 a few months ago pretty well for my 4 year old, but I've found it addicting and cheap! I couldn't stomach the price for a CZ (still want one), but ended up with a Savage MKII FV-SR. It's a 16" fluted heavy threaded barrel .22. It comes with the scope rail, accu-trigger, thread protector, etc. for $285 you can't beat it. Couple it with a Nikon P22 scope, and it's a greater learning too. I shoot 200 yds at steel plates all the time.

My 4 year old shoots it prone regularly.

as many have covered already get a 22LR bolt gun. I started on my fathers 1950's montgomery ward bolt gun. He still has it, still shoots squirrels with it.

I was out on a pheasant hunt several years ago and a buddy wanted to stop by a mom/pop gun store in a small town. I looked through the used gun section and I couldn't believe what I'd found. It was the exact same rifle. I couldn't help myself, so I bought it for myself for a whoppin' $45. This is the best shooting little 22 that i have. This will also be the same rifle that i'll be teaching my son with in a couple of years and my daughter after that.

So, check out the used section, you might just be supprised what you find.

xdeano

We tried starting with a cricket but she couldn't get the hang of it because the LOP/stock/etc setup wasn't working for her. Now she has a S&W 15-22 and she is getting VERY good with it. Looking back I wish I would have done the AR type first and saved that money I spent on the cricket. The way I look at it now I am glad we got her something comfortable for her to shoot. You could tell she didn't like trying to do it with the cricket and would get frustrated and disinterested. She has over 1500 rounds through the S&W since August and loves to go shooting. I know a Semi isn't the best thing to start a child on but it works.

duckyar.jpg

I have twin boys and they both started very briefly with a .22 but progressed to bolt action .223 in about 2 trips to the range. I chose the mossberg mvp line of rifles and got a pair of them and they are both very good shooters now and the rifles are extremely accurate . I think you have to take each child on a case by case basis as some kids , such as my two are extreme meat heads and nothing bothers them , but I have seen some that anything out of the ordinary bothers them a lot. I say just go with common sense and your best judgment on each kid.

JW