• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

Rafael

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2003
Virginia Beach, Virginia
seankndy, a member here, has written a ballistics package for the Android platform.

Edited to add link to Sean's webpage with a full description:
http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/
Scroll down to the bottom for the FAQ section.

The app can be found in the Android Market on your device under the name "Shooter".

Or, if you have a barcode scanner, just open this link and scan it:
http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/qrcode.png

Edited to add:
This program has evolved a great deal.

Three features really stand out for me:
1-This program lets you set up different load profiles that include preference for elevation and windage adjustment values, your choice of IPHY, MOA, or Mil's for each of them.
2-The solution: adjustment values for elevation and windage show up as the angular system you chose in the profile.....IPHY, MOA, or Mil in a large font, but the other two you didn't choose show up too, just in a smaller font. Makes communication with others using different angular systems easy.
3-He built-in a ranging tool that defaults to your elevation choice in the profile, but can switch to the other units IPHY, MOA, or Mil whenever you like. Enter target size and reticle reading and it computes the value.

Of course, it can also read angle data by holding the phone on the plane of the shot direction.

Thank you, Sean!

Re: Introducing "Shooter", ballistics for Android!

I like what I just played with. It would be nice if you could edit or erase profiles without uninstalling.

When you get to the opening screen, press and hold the profile you want to edit.
The option to edit or delete pops up.

I would like it if it would operate in landscape mode so I can use the Droids built-in keyboard, or at least the better soft-keyboard in landscape mode.

Also, it would be great to be able to set adjustment values as a percentage of MOA or Mil. This would allow for scopes like mine that adjust in IPHY (inch per hundred yards) rather than true MOA (1.047" per hundred yards).

The ability to get shot angle from the accelerometer is great!

It looks good! This program has loads of potential.
Thanks!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you get to the opening screen, press and hold the profile you want to edit.
The option to edit or delete pops up.

I would like it if it would operate in landscape mode so I can use the Droids built-in keyboard, or at least the better soft-keyboard in landscape mode.

Also, it would be great to be able to set adjustment values as a percentage of MOA or Mil. This would allow for scopes like mine that adjust in IPHY (inch per hundred yards) rather than true MOA (1.047" per hundred yards).

The ability to get shot angle from the accelerometer is great!

It looks good! This program has loads of potential.
Thanks!!!!!! </div></div>
Thanks for the feedback!

I fixed the orientation in the input screen to allow both portrait and landscape, I just haven't uploaded the changes yet because I want to wait for some more fixes/addons.

As for the adjustments, would just providing an option for the desired correction unit (MOA or IPHY) be good? A setting like this would actually make sense within the profiles rather than a global settings option (this way you can have different correction units for each of your different rifles/scopes).

I left out application "settings" in this first version. I'd like to hear from you guys what settings you'd like to have.

Cool!

An IPHY option would help me and some others.
Some scopes have a bit of error to them, not always exactly IPHY, or MOA. The percentage makes for infinite adjustment to match any scope......but just having an IPHY option would cover most that are not true MOA.

No rush on the suggestions. I really like what you have so far.
I probably would not have been so vocal had you not asked for suggestions.

81604045.jpg

Would a layout like this better suit you? You'll notice I also reversed order of the ballistics table and added yard-by-yard for the last 5 yards. The yardage you entered is also highlighted.

Does this only work on 2.0? it doesn't appear in the market for 1.6 devices.

Giving drop in MOA or MILS instead of inches would be great. Every 10 or 25 yards instead of every 5 would be nice for longer data strings (ie to 1200 yds) and then if you could have it go every 5 for the last 50? Maybe go over requested end point by 4 points or 20 yards as well.

Thanks!

The multiple adjustment values at the top are useful....especially if you are shooting with others who have scopes with different adjustments.

I agree on the drop not being needed in inches, would rather have angular measurements here. Same with drift.

If the shooter needs a quick solution for a different yardage and wind value, he/she can easily look up that data right on the same screen.

Knowing the linear drop and drift is of very little value in my opinion.

Doesn't show up is it only for 2.0? Can you make it available for 1.5?

Android 1.x users, check the market again. App just updated to allow for the landscape orientation in the input screen and the changes you see above for the results screen.

Had a chance to check out this app. It is very nice! I love the fact that you can use the G7 drag function. I compared it to JBM and they were identical.

Like the other guys stated, every 5 yards is too much. 25yd increments would be nice and maybe a little finer after 1100-1200yds.

It would be nice to have the first columns as Mil/MOA, then Drift in Mil/MOA, and maybe the third being TOF. IMHO, mv and energy fall into the nice to know but not always necessary category. Maybe have them accecible by scrolling to the right.

This might be a long shot but is it possible to have this program calculate using Density Altitude?

You have done a great job so far, keep us posted and thanks for listening to the users.

CM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Center Mass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the other guys stated, every 5 yards is too much. 25yd increments would be nice and maybe a little finer after 1100-1200yds.</div></div>
Thanks for the feedback, Center Mass. I'll have the next version use 10yrd increments, and finer 1yard for the last 10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Center Mass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice to have the first columns as Mil/MOA, then Drift in Mil/MOA, and maybe the third being TOF. IMHO, mv and energy fall into the nice to know but not always necessary category. Maybe have them accecible by scrolling to the right.

This might be a long shot but is it possible to have this program calculate using Density Altitude?</div></div>
I will consider putting corrections in the ballistics table as well. For now, it's very fast/easy to hit the back button, adjust yardage, and re-compute. All your atmospheric fields should remain in-tact when hitting back. Another thought was to make the rows of the ballistics table clickable so when you click that yardage, it shows corrections for that yardage in the "Corrections" table above. The table rows are probably a little too small for that, though.

You can adjust your calculations by entering pressure, rel humidity, temp, and altitude -- what exactly are you after?

Would anyone find it useful to have the ability to pull current weather by GPS location or is that more of a "cool" feature than it is really functional...?

The update works as you described. Nice!

I would like the ability to pull atmospheric conditions based on location. That would be sweet.

While the table approach is nice.....how about no table and just allow distance, angle, wind direction and speed to be scrolled from the output screen. This way you only see the numbers for the shot in question. Changing yardage without changing screens would be nice.

Don't take me the wrong way....I do apprecaite the great effort.
The program works pretty damn well as it is.

Thanks again!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Center Mass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the other guys stated, every 5 yards is too much. 25yd increments would be nice and maybe a little finer after 1100-1200yds.</div></div>
Thanks for the feedback, Center Mass. I'll have the next version use 10yrd increments, and finer 1yard for the last 10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Center Mass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be nice to have the first columns as Mil/MOA, then Drift in Mil/MOA, and maybe the third being TOF. IMHO, mv and energy fall into the nice to know but not always necessary category. Maybe have them accecible by scrolling to the right.

This might be a long shot but is it possible to have this program calculate using Density Altitude?</div></div>
I will consider putting corrections in the ballistics table as well. For now, it's very fast/easy to hit the back button, adjust yardage, and re-compute. All your atmospheric fields should remain in-tact when hitting back. Another thought was to make the rows of the ballistics table clickable so when you click that yardage, it shows corrections for that yardage in the "Corrections" table above. The table rows are probably a little too small for that, though.

<span style="font-weight: bold">True, going back one step and entering another range is pretty simple and is fine. The clickable table would be VERY nice. Although, as you mention, the font is a little small. I was thinking the same thing earlier. Indoors tinkering with it is fine, but get out in bright sunlight, those little lines of data will be hard to decern.</span>

You can adjust your calculations by entering pressure, rel humidity, temp, and altitude -- what exactly are you after?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Density altitude is a measurement that takes all those conditions and combines them into a single usable number instead of several. See this excellent article by a very knowledgeable member here Lindy.
http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles/Shooting/Downloads/Baro/ </span>

Would anyone find it useful to have the ability to pull current weather by GPS location or is that more of a "cool" feature than it is really functional...? </div></div>

Keep up the good work,
CM

Thanks for the suggestions, keep the ideas coming. I'd like to get everyones needs/wants together and merge them to make the best-of-all-worlds app that I can. I'd like to hear suggestions for "settings" too.

I opened the market from my phone, clicked the magnifying glass (search), typed in "Shooter", and hit carriage return on the Droid hard-keyboard.......... this program is the first in the list of apps it found.

What version of Android are you running? Maybe the market app is caching. Go to settings->applications->manage apps->menu click->filter->all apps->market->force stop/clear cache then retry.

It is a G1 from Tmobile and the market version is 1660. Whatever the hell that means. I tried what you told me and still same thing. The phone is brand new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moondawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a G1 from Tmobile and the market version is 1660. Whatever the hell that means. I tried what you told me and still same thing. The phone is brand new. </div></div> Try now

Another user found a bug in your zero range calculations so I released an update to correct it. I know you just updated, sorry :p

One suggestion for "settings".....

If you have tried "Google Sky" you may have run into the "night" mode it has. Makes the display all dark but for essential information in Red; helping with night viewing ability without killing your vision.
It would be an interesting feature to include, not that I do any night shooting.
laugh.gif

Some ballistics calculators (such as JBM) give a negative value for upward adjustments and positive for downward. Shooter does the opposite. What makes most sense to you?

I'm most familiar with JBM so sticking to that format seems more "natural".

The verison that I downloaded still has 5 yard increments and lists drop in inches. Have you (or are you going to) made any changes to those values?

I really like this app. Very nice. Thanks!

It should show 1yard increments for the last 10 yards, then 10 yard increments from there down to to 0yards. Version 1.3.

I haven't made changes to the ballistics table beyond that. I'm thinking of ways to get the corrections integrated, just not sure how I want to do it yet.

You must be referring to each range within the ballistics table?

I guess you can see that each camp, be it Mils, MOA, and even we few IPHY users, prefers nothing but angular data(where possible) appear in the output....and in our particular choice of angular measurement systems.

Camp Mil prefers all data in Mils, but for linear data in Yards or Meters(damn, another option)
Camp MOA all MOA, but for Linear in yards
Camp IPHY all IPHY, buy for linear yards
Most are fine with Farenheit, degrees(but some want cosine), Inches of Mercury, Miles or Meters per hour.

Personally, I could not care less what the linear drop and linear wind drift values are for my selected distance or for the surrounding distance values. Not feeling the need for any data other than the single shot solution at hand.
My preferred choice of data, should you choose to even keep it, would be angular measurements.....drop in Mil/MOA/IPHY and drift also in Mil/MOA/IPHY. I think most would prefer angular data where it can be used....."corrections".

If you get these devices out in sunlight; the little bitty numbers required to make space for the full chart make the screen even harder to read. On top of that if you need a different solution you have to change screens twice to get the result.

Once load and atmospheric data(excluding wind)are set in an early screen, they seldom change quickly enough to need them in the solution screen.
The ability to enter a different distance, wind value, wind direction, and possibly even shot angle, quickly and get the output data for that single solution is much more important.

Scrolling those choices, the ability to increment and decrement single units via up/down keys or the like, would be faster than messing with the keybord as well. This also makes it easy to check dope for slight input corrections.

I think most users would prefer all data to be locked to Mils or MOA or IPHY in the initial screen since most would rarely change between them unless working with another shooter who happens to use a different angular measurement system. I do like the fact that all three solutions appear, but maybe the better idea would be to have preferred data appear in a larger font with the alternate systems represented in a smaller font at the bottom of the screen in case one needs to interpret data for/from others.

The ranging tool could also be set to use the default units so non-mil users could use that feature.

As is, this is still the best written shooting software for the Android platform. We are fortunate you are working on it!

Sean....Check your private messages (PM's).

Thanks for the detailed post, Rafael.

I know most of you guys don't really have much need to see a trajectory chart and all you're interested in is the correction solutions. However, I also wanted this app to provide the trajectory table much like 95% of the online calculators give you. SO, that can stay. I can still make the "Corrections" area larger, with more info, or whatever. That would simply push the table farther down and you can view it by scrolling down. If you don't need that info, don't scroll down. The Corrections is definitely the main point of interest and will always be at the top.

I've made the correction values in larger text so we'll see if that proves to be visible out in the field.

As far as supporting multiple units for input fields -- that is something I will do eventually. I wanted to get a decent ballistics program up and going and most all of us use the imperial units provided.

About supporting multiple angular units for the distance calculator -- great idea. I'll add in support for it.

I am trying to come up with a clean design that makes sense and provides solutions to your suggestions. I am leaning towards a "Tweak" section on the Results screen that allows quick changes of target distance, target angle and wind. Having up/down arrows for these values would be great.

I also think it would be useful for the atmospheric conditions to be remembered rather than resetting to defaults for every computation you want to make. Am I wrong here? Would anyone actually find it annoying?

I like the complete table. But I would like it in mils. Or what ever value the individuals scope is in. I do like the program, especially the mil conversion function, very slick. Makes me not regret getting an Hero, over the iphone.

29979684.jpg

How's this? I added the ability to select preferred elevation/wind adjustment units on a per-profile basis. So whichever units you select is what will show up in the large text and in the trajectory table below it.

seankndy;

So in this example you made selections in the profile stating your preference for elevations adjustments in Mil's and windage adjustments in MOA? If so, that works well.

It is also intersting and even beneficial to add the preferred angular units in the chart.

I fail to understand the need or use for linear drop and drift data in the chart. That data is useless without a calculator.

Example: Wind drift is 65.09" for the selected yardage.
The only use for this information is to divide by 5.77 to get IPHY, then divide by 1.047 to get MOA. If you want Mils it is another calculation.

Corrections are made in angular units. Linear data is useless at this point. If the chart needs to be retained, linear drop/drift could be left off in favor of more relevant data like Energy, or maybe give Mil/MOA/IPHY data for both.

I would rather see you go back to the chart with path/drift/velocity/enrgy/flight-time.....with path and drift represented only in the angular unit of choice.
As far as I am concerned, all of those pieces of information are more important than "linear path" because the latter becomes useless when you have angular data.

I like the highlighted row idea.
I am wondering if this can be taken one step further......
"Up" and "down" buttons allowing the user to step through the chart, highlighting the range /solution needed and seeing the output at the top of the screen.

The chart you posted is beter in that I can more quickly find a solution by looking it up on the chart, but the ability to select one point would give you the non-preferred angular data as well.

I hope you take my suggestions as what they are....one opinion, trying to be helpful and subject to differ with others opinions.
Not bashing, just applying my view and my method of range/wind compensation. If you spend any time on this site you will see many examples of people making mistakes when they worry about linear drop and drift. In these cases..... the solution offered by experienced shooters is always "forget linear, stick with angular" where possible, certainly with adjustment data.

seankndy;
Back in the day.....I did a fair amount of BASIC programming, even dabbled in Pascal, and went too deep into assembly language programming on the Zilog Z-80 processor.

I am quite humbled and feeling lost trying to deal with visual-BASIC; let alone C and the like.

I admire and respect your ability to get this program to the point you have. Great work.

As to atmospheric conditions being remebered......YES.
One can always change them when needed.
Having them stay the same will save a step when running your next solution within a few minutes of the first.

It is updated now w/ Rafael's suggestions for the path/drift in angular unit of choice. Also new is support for moa and iphy for distance calculation and re-organized inputs to utilize more screen space.

EDIT: Just so you know, all of your current profiles will be set to MOA for both elev/wind adjustment on the upgrade. You'll need to go in and edit your profiles to change to your desired units.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to atmospheric conditions being remebered......YES.
One can always change them when needed.
Having them stay the same will save a step when running your next solution within a few minutes of the first.</div></div>
Okay. Those are my feelings as well. When I add support for weather conditions by GPS location, I'll do this too.

Just go to the market and search for shooter, should show you there is an update available. If not, go to your settings->applications->manage->filter->all->market->clear cache

The latest looks great, Sean!
I like it.

I have never seen a program with the output showing primary data in desired angular values as well as the other two.
Now that I have played with it I really like it. Good work.

While I was never a big fan of a full chart on portable devices, you have made it a useful tool. With a given wind speed and direction one can see solutions for any distance from a single screen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I unistall the current version? And install the new one? </div></div>

No need to uninstall.

An easy way is to open the market, hit the menu button, then hit "downloads".
This gives you a list of all apps you have installed and notes any updates available.
It's fast and easy.

Sean;
Damn you are quick with the updates!
laugh.gif

One small suggestion.....
I noticed that the wind speed and direction returns to zero when I stop and start the app.

Those who know they are shooting in no wind, or wind requiring no adjustment, know to only dial elevation and leave windage at their zero. On my last pocket device, a Palm running pocket-PSSF, I left the wind at a default of 10MPH and 90 degrees.
This allowed me to always know the adjustments for 10/90 and I could halve(for 5MPH) or double it(for 20MPH) in my head when I needed a different value for correction..in a hurry.

I don't know if this will be popular with everyone, but I found it a useful tool.

Also, since most will be looking for a solution beyond 100 yards, can the default range be made something other than blank? You have made this handy enough that even with a final screen set for 1000 yards I can scroll down to a different yardage and get a solution faster than returning to the previous screen and entering a new distance. Not an important point, maybe worth consideration. It would mean you were 2 clicks away from output rather than 6 or more clicks.