• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introducing The OUTCAST

Defiance Machine

Custom Action Manufacturer
Minuteman
The new OUTCAST muzzle loader action.

IMG_4745.jpg

A precision bolt action created specifically for building modern muzzle loading rifles.​

The OUTCAST is designed to use the Hankins Ignition System - Made by Hank's Precision Gun Parts (Standard .473” modules), or Arrowhead Rifles Gen 2 muzzleloader ignition system. The OUTCAST Action utilizes a “shell holder” type bolt face. This allows the module to be loaded and unloaded at a convenient angle. The bolt stop is positioned so the shell holder is always easy to get to.

Specifications
• Available in right and left hand
• 20 MOA stainless steel scope rail, or lightweight Talley mounts included
• Receiver has 20 Threads per inch (TPI) Barrel threads, leaving greater hoop strength in the barrel.
• .250” pinned recoil lug included
• Single shot (solid bottom) receiver – Modules cannot fall into hard-to-reach areas
• Defiance Medium Length action – Fits in Remington 700 Short Action footprint inlet
• Accepts Remington 700 style triggers
• Shell holder style bolt face
• Standard (.480”) bolt face diameter
• Straight teardrop knob

Note: This bolt action is a firearm and requires an FFL transfer.​
Price: $885
For more info, go tohttps://defiancemachine.com/actions/outcast/.

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

.​

Last edited:
Mesa Precision has, but that's neither here nor there.

New to this idea, what mfg of barrels would we be using to match this up with?

PVA would likely have an option
Not sure PVA is doing any more. They are out of barrels and when I asked if they would do it if I supplied a barrel the last communication was they'll see if they are doing any more in the future.

Reactions: reubenski
Well I’ll try them out.. I’ve ordered two.

Was going to build on a regular action.. but realistically I don’t expect to swap out barrels much or convert it back to centerfire once it’s built.

I guess the question is.. Hankins or Arrowheads for the breech plugs and modules. Have read a lot of positives for each on the various forums, they seem to be very comparable each with some proprietary features.

Arrowhead offers three thread pitches for the breach plugs… anyone have any recommendations on which to choose? Pros and cons to each?

Reactions: TACC
I'd like to see more info on how the Hankins system works. Like, how do you take the breech plug out for cleaning? Do you have to unscrew the entire barrel?

Well I’ll try them out.. I’ve ordered two.

Was going to build on a regular action.. but realistically I don’t expect to swap out barrels much or convert it back to centerfire once it’s built.

I guess the question is.. Hankins or Arrowheads for the breech plugs and modules. Have read a lot of positives for each on the various forums, they seem to be very comparable each with some proprietary features.

Arrowhead offers three thread pitches for the breach plugs… anyone have any recommendations on which to choose? Pros and cons to each?
Mine have 9/16-18 plugs ASG Gen 2 plugs, 9/16 will leave a little more meat in the shank in case of double loads.

Not sure PVA is doing any more. They are out of barrels and when I asked if they would do it if I supplied a barrel the last communication was they'll see if they are doing any more in the future.

@bohem could probably help with an answer.

I'd like to see more info on how the Hankins system works. Like, how do you take the breech plug out for cleaning? Do you have to unscrew the entire barrel?
You take out the bolt, then take out the breech plug with a torque wrench. Check out Hankin's Custom Rifles and Hank's forum. His muzzleloaders are usually sold out, but you could probably order a barreled action. Or get a pre-fit barrel if you can do it yourself.
If you've ever shot black powder out of a muzzleloader, going smokeless is a whole new world. With black powder, 150 yards was already out of my range. With smokeless, you're expected to make 200 or 300 yd shots. Some of those guys on the forum are shooting 1000 yds shooting 3000 fps using a 275 or 300 grain bullet. Those smokeless muzzleloaders shoot better than centerfire rifles. Even with my "light load" of 66 grains of IRM 4198, I'm getting about 2730 fps using a 275 grain bullet.

this looks cool, but does anyone have pictures of a complete rifle? It doesn't seem like there is much info on how to actually complete one of these actions.

It would be interesting to hear when Defiance would have them out to dealers. Not sure I’ve seen any anywhere.

this looks cool, but does anyone have pictures of a complete rifle? It doesn't seem like there is much info on how to actually complete one of these actions.
You could use an ASG prefit with barrel nut or have a shouldered barrel spun up with a breech plug by a smith. There’s a few builders that make them, ASG and Hankins being the most popular.

Attachments

• 20220607_190059.jpg
    20220607_190059.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 20220607_190319_03.jpg
    20220607_190319_03.jpg
    520.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20220607_190438.jpg
    20220607_190438.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20220607_190652.jpg
    20220607_190652.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20220607_190726.jpg
    20220607_190726.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20220607_190733.jpg
    20220607_190733.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 20220607_191509.jpg
    20220607_191509.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 163
  • 20220607_191553.jpg
    20220607_191553.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 20220607_191625.jpg
    20220607_191625.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 20220607_191802.jpg
    20220607_191802.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 172
Mine was bought already made by Jeff Hankins. But if you're a diy'er, Hankins sells prefit barrels on his website. And it comes with his ignition system with the breech plug, along with the primer modules that you put the large rifle magnum primers in.

We've been doing them for OEMs for some time prior to release, so they are out there, just not under the Outcast name. New orders went into the queue with the same lead time as other actions, so it will be a bit before they start popping up.

Reactions: Dawhit

Defiance anTi X Bolt unloaded with Robotic (Pneumatic) Grabber​

This pneumatic gripper is now being utilized to run parts in a fully automated process.

These bolts are machined from a 6’ bar, about 6” at a time.

The CNC program begins with a minimal amount of bar stock protruding from the main spindle.

After the front end of the bolt is machined, the sub spindle advances and grabs the bolt.

Next, the main spindle unclamps, allowing the sub spindle to pull the bar out farther before clamping again and machining the body of the bolt.

We electronically probe the bolt after each “pull,” to ensure that we know exactly where it is “in space,” and so we can hold tight tolerances across key features.

Lastly, the sub spindle chokes up on the bolt leaving only a small amount protruding and the back end of the bolt is machined to completion. We have now machined a complete bolt in just one operation, allowing us to create very precise and consistent parts.

Before the addition of the pneumatic grabber, the machine might sit for a short time while the operator finishes up some other task (like loading or unloading another machine). This may just be a minute or it may be 10 minutes. Minutes add up and we need to be as efficient as possible. With the addition of these pneumatic grabbers, the machine pulls the finished part out of the spindle, drops it onto a conveyor, and starts machining the next part.

Machinists and operators are still running the machines, checking and measuring parts, loading new bars of steel, making adjustments, changing and qualifying the tools, etc. There will be less “lost time” however. And when the crew is heading home for the night, a new bar can be loaded, and parts can be run for hours after we have shut-off the lights and gone home to bed.

At Defiance, we are constantly seeking ways to be more efficient, so we can better serve our customers.

#DefianceMachine #MachinistMondays #CNC #Manufacturing #Robotics

A very cool concept! Unfortunately I Am in the same situation as @reubenski in that the M.L. Regulations wher I hunt exclude this type of action.

How and why are these prohibited for ML hunting where you hunt? Im just now learning about these types of muzzleloaders

How and why are these prohibited for ML hunting where you hunt? Im just now learning about these types of muzzleloaders
A lot of times they have to be flint lock style etc, not all modern inline powder pellet bolty

Reactions: Modoc
I guess West Virginia wants to make sure everyones keeps their civil war reenactment equipment in top notch condition? Interesting

I think smokeless powder might be a no-go too. Like it has to be a black powder or black powder substitute like pyrodex. I would be getting a converted barrel for my TL3 if I could shoot smokeless powder, have a scope mounted, and use a suppressor.
A lot of guys use them with BH209 in states that don't allow smokeless powder. I have a buddy building one up specifically to use in Colorado next year. It will conform to all Colorado regulations, yet be a lot more accurate and be able to reach farther.

Up here north of the border for whitetails for the ML season, it has to be a single barrel black or modern powder "muzzleloader" .45 cal or greater.

These are really dependant on the local regs as to whether they make sense.

I guess West Virginia wants to make sure everyones keeps their civil war reenactment equipment in top notch condition? Interesting
Its truly a mind blowingly stupid restriction. Especially considering how nice our gun laws/hunting regulations are otherwise.

I know a guy who ignores it 😜