• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introduction to Myself and Precision Shooting Club

Tactical Taz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
WYOMING
Hello,

As you will see, I am near 100 posts on the Hide but I never formally introduced myself. I apologize for that. I wanted to get a post out about who I am and the organization I am a part of.

My precision rifle experience is relatively short. I have hunted my whole life and used a M700 25-06 and a Leupold with the varmint reticle. I always had been enamored with long range shooting and hunting but was one of the paper platers at 100 yards type. I was never satisfied with that and my ability to shoot a couple inches at 100 yards. My venture into precision rifle and long range started last year in January with a buddy of mine who was in my research group here at college. I ended doing some research and buying a RPR .243Win and Burris XTR-II. A short time later I went to a club match in Colarado Springs, got my ass kicked, and I was hooked. Since then I have been working on my game a lot and trying to upgrade my gear. This year has been tough as I crashed a snowmobile in February and had PCL surgery in March. With all of that I have been able to find some success lately earning 20th at the Gunwerks PRS match and placing near the top at some club matches.

What I hope the Hide will recognize about me is that I am not into spewing things I have heard elsewhere. I try to only comment on things that I have experience with first hand. I am always trying to learn here and improve my skills and hopefully can help someone else along the way. I am really trying to get the fundamentals down right and take a lot of what Frank and Phil Velayo say and show and apply it to my own game to be a better marksman. In the end PRS is fun but I am always trying to keep in mind why I started, that is a direct application back to hunting.

With all that, I am currently a college student working on my Master's and PhD at the University of Wyoming in Mechanical Engineering. I have won a couple business competitions and have some startup funds available to get my own gig going while I wrap up school. I am working towards using high performance materials, like composites, in the motorsports and firearm industry.

I also want to introduce the organization I am part of here at the UW. I am currently the president of the Wyoming Precision Shooting Club. We aim to introduce students/new shooters to the sport of precision rifle. We are "dedicated to learning, teaching, and practicing the skills necessary to safely and precisely engage targets at distances beyond the capability of the average shooter", as our mission statement reads. Hopefully we can also break down some of the misconceptions around the industry and create an atmosphere where students wanting to get into competition can also work on building team working skills and a better sense of community. We currently have 5 rifles (2 PRP's, Lefty Savage in an MDT chassis, and 2 Weatherby Vanguards) donated to us through an NRA grant for club use and Leupold donated optics for each rifle along with a Mark 4 spotter and range finder. Hornady has donated a respectable amount of ammo for the rifles also. This year we have grown the club about three fold. We took 13 members to the Q Creek Fall Fiasco a couple weeks ago, 6 or 7 of which were shooting their very first match. This was all possible because we have club dedicated equipment available. We are looking to grow the club and partner with more companies for supporting equipment including ammo, bipods, and bags. I also run a monthly NRL22 match to support club funds. Next year we hope to get setups for club members to shoot club equipment at the .22lr matches. We have grown a fairly healthy social media following this summer showing off what we do and our generous sponsors. I would love to get this off the ground more so that it is self sufficient and other universities can adopt a similar model.

Thanks for the read,
IMG_20180915_201358_943.jpg

Kyle