• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inverted leg tripods

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’m looking to upgrade/play around with an inverted leg tripod and wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts or experiences are with them. I’ve got two clubs I shoot matches at that require everything be deployed on the clock which makes the two piece invented setup very tempting but not sure if it’s worth the investment for the limited time I’ll use it on the clock.

I’ve had a 22i for a few years. No competition useage to this point but I have used it pig and coyote hunting. There’s nothing faster. The inverted leg means you can loosen the collar and push or pull the leg without having to let go of a collar to grab the leg. In a muddy field, my hands stay clean because the lock collars and my hands never get near the ground.

The only cons are the size when collapsed and spread out in seated or prone positions. Took a little bit to rewire my brain to turn the collar the right way without thinking about it also.

In my experience, inverted legs require that you fold the legs out pretty much all the way before you can easily access & rotate the lock collars. Otherwise, I hit my knuckles against the other legs/collars.

In muddy conditions the lock collars stay clean and the legs don't get any contamination/debris inside.

They're a little overrated. I don't regret buying mine, but I also wouldn't miss it if I hadn't

edit: here is a photo that shows how close the collars are together before you unlock/extend, which is why my knuckles hit
    282_mh60.png

Last edited:
    How do you like the SO-322, I keep going back and forth between it and the SO-363 and where did you get yours for a smoking deal

I like it for the limited time and amount I've fiddled with it. I would base your decision between the two based on how tall you need it to be and what weight limit you think you'll need. Check out Scope List.

Last edited:
    Both the SO-362 and SO-322 go plenty tall enough, even for tall people. I’ve had the 36 for a while and love it. I wanted slightly shorter for kneeling and seated work in NRLH, so I tried a 32mm for a bit, but it still wasn’t low enough. I wound up cutting the 36 down 3” on each leg to get it to the optimum standing height for me and reduce the collapsed length as much as I could. The 36 is noticeably more stiff than the 32, so if weight isn’t a concern, I’d say go for the 36.

It’d be great if they made a SO-363 with 3 leg sections, but 6” shorter than the 362. Smaller pack size and fast deployment would be great.

I'll comment on the lightest version in that line, the SO-282C
    Both the SO-362 and SO-322 go plenty tall enough, even for tall people.
    Even the SO-282 is tall enough for tall people. Max height is 65", which makes it about perfect for someone 6'1"-6'2" with a ballhead & binos clamped in.
    The 36 is noticeably more stiff than the 32
    & the SO-282 has a noticeable amount of flex. It's great for glassing & as a rear support, but not as your primary tripod for resting/clamping a rifle on @ full height in field matches. It's just too springy.

Those Scopelist prices are going to be hard to beat, but otherwise keep an eye on BH Photo Video for sales, I paid $275 for the SO-282 in June

Last edited:
    I have the leofoto so362 and use it primarily for glassing. As @R_A_W stated, it does seem a bit more effective if you open it up before adjusting the legs. I'll open it up, loosen collars on all legs, grab the center and pull up until it's the right height then with the other hand tighten the collars. Toss a bag on top and then top it off with binos and I'm set.