• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Inverted mount for spotter

saleen

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
I have a Mark 4 and a cheaper Bushnell Excursion spotting scopes that I'd like to set up with an inverted mount. I've seen a few pictures of such mounts over the years, but several google searches has turned up nothing.

Any hints?

Saleen

Re: Inverted mount for spotter

No, I don't. Both are folded lightpath scopes so they are compact, but with most tripods they sit awfully high for prone work. I've seen rigs where the FLP scopes have been mounted offset and inverted to reduce the profile in use. I found one fancy-pants tripod set-up (whole system) that is just under $400, so I was hoping to get this done with an attachment that will work with my current tripod.

Here's the fancy-pants one:
http://tacticaltripod.com/3x_More_Utility.html

sot_11.jpg

sot_9.jpg

I'll buy it if I have to, but I'd rather not. Especially for the Bushnell that my kids primarily use.

Saleen

it gotta be full on tacticool? this can be as low as 4 inches off the ground for real snipering

stand.jpg

There's the Ashbury tripod for the M151 spotting system, but in all honesty it doesn't get very low to the ground even with the plate (TIM) on top. Here are a few pictures with a Leupy Mk4, just in case it's the one you're thinking of:

rwuoll.jpg

2mp0dbn.jpg

I have seen guys using the manfrotto with the column upside down at the 2008 International sniper competition at Ft Bragg.
Maybe you want a smaller set up.

img_0610.png

Petey, what part did you use to add the QD shoe/plate to the Ashbury TIM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jfernandez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Petey, what part did you use to add the QD shoe/plate to the Ashbury TIM? </div></div>

I put this together a while ago so my memory is hazy, but I believe it's the RC2 plate adapter from Manfrotto. I use the Ashbury tripod as well as a 190XPROB tripod from Manfrotto and put these RC2 plate adapters on everything for a common attachment system.

http://www.manfrotto.us/rc2-rapid-connect-adapter-with-200pl-14-plate?alt=1

There are definitely some ideas HERE albeit some of them make the wallet wince just looking at'em. But there surely are some versatile rigs.
Do some searches on saddles to hold rifles on tripods, & also tripod vs. bipod. There are good pics & explanations there as well.

I made up my own. I'm pretty handy in the woodshop so I whipped this up out of some oak, electrical conduit, and a pvc fitting. Works pretty darn good for a DIY.

SAM_0681.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jfernandez</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Petey, what part did you use to add the QD shoe/plate to the Ashbury TIM? </div></div>

I put this together a while ago so my memory is hazy, but I believe it's the RC2 plate adapter from Manfrotto. I use the Ashbury tripod as well as a 190XPROB tripod from Manfrotto and put these RC2 plate adapters on everything for a common attachment system.

RC2 Rapid Connect Adapter With 200PL-14 Plate 323 - Plate Adapters | Manfrotto

Thanks, great find.