• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Investments, where to put your money.

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
Curious for some of you who have made good investments and are smarter when it comes to this stuff.

If someone had enough capital they felt okay with parting with it a bit to invest, what would yall recommend.

While ill accept answers like more food water ect ect im more talking about more traditional investments.

I have NEVER invested in property so i'm not sure what that looks like. So advice is welcomed.

I have done stocks before but I pulled out due to economy, have also done crypto.

What else yall got? What do you wish you knew sooner?

Where I am, real estate is ON FIRE so I am taking the approach of reducing debt and making improvements to my house.

Although the market has been good to me, I got out a few months ago as the present circumstances surrounding the equity markets cause me more angst than it is worth.

Less risk averse people will have different perceptions for certain. @Bigfatcock has and continues to do well, I think. Not sure if he has blown all of his cash on hookers and blow though

They aren't making anymore land.
iu

just bought a place in the panhandle in Florida. Real estate is on fire as the guy above me stated. Beach rentals down here stay booked up a year to 2 years in advance on some properties

Reactions: oneshot86
OP, did you review the below threads or do they not cover what you were looking for?

Reactions: camocorvette
So for those of yall in property, any good info into how to get into it? Seems overwhelming.

OP, did you review the below threads or do they not cover what you were looking for?

Didn't even read those

Didn't even see those! I'll definitely take a read through them

Having lived in Florida I can tell you there is a land bust for every boom. My Dad's house went from $65K to $275K back to $85K and it is now at $185K in the last 15 years. Land can hurt you. That being said, I bought a 120 acres 12 years ago to use as a rifle range, no neighbors for 5 miles, flat, arid and only about 30 acres is tillable, $30K. Today it is worth $120K and still remote and a great rifle range.

Stocks, sure if you have a plan. I like income more than growth so stocks that return more than 4% interest me, but I look for investments and have a broker who works with me. I'll buy $3-5K worth of anything interesting with potential and when it doubles I sell half and keep the rest for free. I've done very well over the last fifteen years.

Index funds are generally safe and follow the markets up or down and owning a few bonds helps lessen the downturns. Overall I gain at market rates and lose at about 50% of market rates the way I have things set up. It is not bold, but I'm getting where I need to be to retire in 2 years.

Oh, I also have two "defined benefit" retirement plans, over the life of the plans they are worth more than $2 million dollars. I took lower pay for years because the money was on the back end. The first one allowed full retirement at 50 years old when vested. The second allows full benefits at 60 years old and includes medical. So at the ripe old age of 60, my time will be all mine for the rest of my life.

The best investment you can ever make is to start planning for retirement when you are in your 20's. My brother has been planning on inheriting tons of money from a dead relative his whole life, he will retire and live in a dumpster at this rate.

not sure I want to keep my money in banks or even in investors hands , if the dims acquire any more power can't see them not freezing assets to get the money to pay for there crazy plans , high taxes just ain't going to cover what they seem to want to do .

So for those of yall in property, any good info into how to get into it? Seems overwhelming.
In a perfect world, you'd build up enough cash or highly liquid assets to get in on bulk REO purchases when things go to hell. $500k minimum and be ready to pounce when an opportunity presents itself. I watched while people made absolutely STUPID money dealing with Suntrust circa 2010.

Outside of that, several cheap properties generally have a far better ROI than a single, nice one. The best strategy varies depending on location though. Certain big $$$ short term rentals are sometimes the exception. Put just enough into them to make them clean and livable (paint, formica, $1 per ft/2 flooring) and hire a good property manager. It's well worth the 10% not to deal with these types of tenants directly. You WILL get burned from time to time, but the overall ROI for your portfolio will still be far higher than investing in HOA type properties in the overwhelming majority of cases.

In short, be a slum lord. If the economy goes south you'll take less of a hit with cheap, dumpy properties too.

Commercial properties can be attractive too in the right circumstances. If you're self employed and make good money, look into purchasing a property, renting it to your business and doing a cost segregation study.

Everyone's situation is different.

Don’t buy in ghettos.

Look for homes in good school districts.

If you finance the property, ensure you can pay the mortgage WITHOUT renters in it.

Don’t buy in ghettos.
^^^^This. Look for good school districts that will attract younger families. But be aware of property taxes, they can be a killer at least in Texas.
Waterfront property (as long as not in a flood zone) is usually a good play. The Lord only made so much waterfront unless that POS Commiefornia sinks into the ocean when the big one hits!

The financial advice given on this forum kills me.

Somehow, over the last decade of prepping thousands of 1065s for multi member real estate holding companies and schedule E's for individual real estate investors in all 50 states, plus many overseas, I have no idea what real estate investments provide the best bang for the buck. All those investors must have been cooking their books to inflate their net income on nice suburban homes while simultaneously overstating expenses and understating revenues allocated to low income housing.

I can't say I understand it, but I bet the Clintons are involved...

Buying water front property is a joke. In 10 years people who bought two roads back will motor up to their docks. LMAO

Pay down your debt........... This is exactly what the corporations listed on the NYSE / NASDAQ are doing... Repurchasing their own stock and several other moves to get ready for the approaching storm.

Invest in "maintaining" all of the things you now own... Look at what you consume... things like tires and brake pads, vehicle batteries, oil and oil filters, buy a grease gun and cartridges.... Inflation is going to make a big run up. If you know your vehicle is going to need a set of tires in 6 months... Buy them now and put them in your garage. If your car battery is 5 years old, it will need replacing soon. Look at how much a car battery cost not compared to 3 years ago.

Just some food for thought.

"I'm at the point where if you can't beat them, join them"

You could always follow the trades of the one group of people who have immunity from insider trading.

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I only invest in Vanguard Mutual Funds. Works for me with my small portfolio....made 20% on my money the last 12 months with nothing more to do than just....sit and watch it make money. A couple of time it has hit the skids for a bit so I bought more.

Vanguard VTSAX - total stock market fund diversifies into like 170 different stocks and tracks the Stock Market pretty much exactly. Just got it's ass beat this week due to the big Chinese Evergrande scare. Bought another $140K of it Yesterday so i should make about $1400 today if it works the way I think it will.

VooDoo

I only invest in Vanguard Mutual Funds. Works for me with my small portfolio....made 20% on my money the last 12 months with nothing more to do than just....sit and watch it make money. A couple of time it has hit the skids for a bit so I bought more.

Vanguard VTSAX - total stock market fund diversifies into like 170 different stocks and tracks the Stock Market pretty much exactly. Just got it's ass beat this week due to the big Chinese Evergrande scare. Bought another $140K of it Yesterday so i should make about $1400 today if it works the way I think it will.

VooDoo
I love Vanguard been with them close to 20 years now. I do write some covered calls and their software does leave a lot to be desired for that task, but other than that small bump I love them. The expense ratios of various Admiral Shares coupled to performance of so many funds.....love em.

Last edited:

VooDoo
I am in Vanguard as well. Been a proven investment for many years.

just learning about this stuff. But how do you guys get started investing in the Vanguard Mutual Funds? where would i need to go? or call?

Reactions: Matches Malone
The financial advice given on this forum kills me.
Yeah, no shit...
Pay down your debt........... This is exactly what the corporations listed on the NYSE / NASDAQ are doing... Repurchasing their own stock and several other moves to get ready for the approaching storm.
Paying down debt and buying back stock are literally opposites when it comes to how one finances something. Please don't listen to this absolute fucking fool, if you know what is good for you.

How old are you and/or when do you want to stop working full time?

just learning about this stuff. But how do you guys get started investing in the Vanguard Mutual Funds? where would i need to go? or call?

Lunarstorm & BiggBeans,

There has been some good suggestions and discussion above. Here is our story for your review and consideration.

I retired effective 1-Feb-21 from megaoil corp after 43 year working in the oilfields all over the world, the last ~20 year living in Equatorial Guinea and Nigeria as Married Accompanied Basis Expats - we kept our home in The Woodlands incase I ever had to come back and work the home office. Fortunately that did not occur.

ms gamboolgal and I were not poor but we did not have much at all and were living on love and buying on time for many many years - as I started out Roughnecking at 18 year old. I say this because we got no inheritances or windfalls over our lifetime together.

I wish that someone would have helped me 40 year ago to understand saving and planning for retirement.....and how to do it.

We did what we did by working, saving and investing later in life once we started to learn abit.

ms gamboolgal taught school for a few years but for most of our 40 year marriage she has been a SAHM and when the kids got to college she moved full-time to Africa to be with me since we did not come home but once or twice per year at most.

We self manage our Portfolio. But we did not always do so. For many years we had monies being actively managed by a well known and respected Financial Management Firm. They charge a % of total Portfolio value as a fee - as is customary with these types of firms.

About 10 year ago, after much reading and studying (see links below) we established a Portfolio at Vanguard as we have detailed herein.

During the first ~8 year Vanguard outperformed the actively managed firm by a huge %.

We finally had enough and moved to consolidate all of our personal savings and upon retirement move all of our megaoil corp savings to Vanguard to consolidate and simplify.

We are not speculators. We invest and hold to our investments as per our own Investment Policy Statement (IPS) and Philosophy. Boggleheads link below will explain this - do recommend that folks have a IPS of their own.

As such we are not buying and selling much at all. We will rebalance if and when as necessary but that is very rare.

Some folks like to spread their monies around to different firms, e.g., Fidelity, Vanguard, Edward Jones, etc., - thats ok and I sorta get it. But for us the ease and simplicity of having our Portfolio with Vanguard is well worth it. And remember, we are invested in thousands of individual Bonds and Equities thru VG funds- not in Vanguard. Thus we do not see the risk or need to spread out the monies with the resultant hassles and complications.

We maintain a Asset Allocation (AA) of 50% equities and 50% Bonds/Cash.

Just fyi - AA as of today is 49.5% Equities, 47.9% Bonds, and 2.6% Cash.

We rebalance if the AA gets ~2% off target - which does not happen alot.

We keep about 2 to 3 years worth of net living expenses in Cash. This allows us ride out the normal Market Peaks and especially the valleys; and sleep good at night.

We know and accept that we are not making Return On Investment (ROI) on the Cash - but we sleep good at night. This is same reason we paid off our home mortgage many years previously.
Being out of debt was/is a wonderful thing to us.

We have/use Mutual Funds (MF's) and Electronically Traded Funds (ETFs) - I would recommend using ETF's now instead of MF's for simplicity. The ETF's were not around when we established our Portfolio at VG and thus invested in our MF's.

We use following 3 X ETF's from VG. We have 2 X Bond Funds as one is Long Term (BND) and the other is short term (BIV). Our equities is VTI.
You could easily just use VTI and BND or BIV at 50/50 and maybe some cash if you are so inclined.
1632354627314.png

We like and recommend Vanguard. But you would do well at Fidelity and others.

I would say to be careful of hiring a Financial Planner and Management Firm as they will normally charge a % of your Portfolio - and it is a lot of monies. As I said we did exactly that for a long time and I regret that I/we did not move to VG and self manage as I described above many years previously..... But live and learn....

I recommend the following 2 X Web Sites / Communities and forums to read and study up on.
You can post your particulars in the suggested formats and you will get excellent feedback and suggestions.

https://www.early-retirement.org

You can also seek out a paid by the hour Chartered Financial Advisor (CFA) to review your particulars and provide you with advice. They will not manage your monies for you. We did this with Mr. Rick Ferri, and we highly recommend him. But there is many competent and well regarded CFA's out there. We used Mr. Ferri on 3 occasions - one was really just hand holding and reconfirming our previous reviews. Cost was in the ~$750 range per consultation. Well worth it for us and very useful recommendations and advice. And for us to bolster our confidence that we did have a good plan and could self manage a mid seven figure Portfolio.

All the best in your endeavors.

gamboolman....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

Last edited:
Lunarstorm & BiggBeans,

There has been some good suggestions and discussion above. Here is our story for your review and consideration.

I retired effective 1-Feb-21 from megaoil corp after 43 year working in the oilfields all over the world, the last ~20 year living in Equatorial Guinea and Nigeria as Married Accompanied Basis Expats - we kept our home in The Woodlands incase I ever had to come back and work the home office. Fortunately that did not occur.

ms gamboolgal and I were not poor but we did not have much at all and were living on love and buying on time for many many years - as I started out Roughnecking at 18 year old. I say this because we got no inheritances or windfalls over our lifetime together.

I wish that someone would have helped me 40 year ago to understand saving and planning for retirement.....and how to do it.

We did what we did by working, saving and investing later in life once we started to learn abit.

ms gamboolgal taught school for a few years but for most of our 40 year marriage she has been a SAHM and when the kids got to college she moved full-time to Africa to be with me since we did not come home but once or twice per year at most.

We self manage our Portfolio. But we did not always do so. For many years we had monies being actively managed by a well known and respected Financial Management Firm. They charge a % of total Portfolio value as a fee - as is customary with these types of firms.

About 10 year ago, after much reading and studying (see links below) we established a Portfolio at Vanguard as we have detailed herein.

During the first ~8 year Vanguard outperformed the actively managed firm by a huge %.

We finally had enough and moved to consolidate all of our personal savings and upon retirement move all of our megaoil corp savings to Vanguard to consolidate and simplify.

We are not speculators. We invest and hold to our investments as per our own Investment Policy Statement (IPS) and Philosophy. Boggleheads link below will explain this - do recommend that folks have a IPS of their own.

As such we are not buying and selling much at all. We will rebalance if and when as necessary but that is very rare.

Some folks like to spread their monies around to different firms, e.g., Fidelity, Vanguard, Edward Jones, etc., - thats ok and I sorta get it. But for us the ease and simplicity of having our Portfolio with Vanguard is well worth it. And remember, we are invested in thousands of individual Bonds and Equities thru VG funds- not in Vanguard. Thus we do not see the risk or need to spread out the monies with the resultant hassles and complications.

We keep about 2 to 3 years worth of net living expenses in Cash. This allows us ride out the normal Market Peaks and especially the valleys; and sleep good at night.

We know and accept that we are not making Return On Investment (ROI) on the Cash - but we sleep good at night. This is same reason we paid off our home mortgage many years previously.

We have/use Mutual Funds (MF's) and Electronically Traded Funds (ETFs) - I would recommend using ETF's now instead of MF's for simplicity. The ETF's were not around when we established our Portfolio at VG and thus invested in our MF's.

We use following 3 X ETF's from VG. We have 2 X Bond Funds as one is Long Term (BND) and the other is short term (BIV). Our equities is VTI.
You could easily just use VTI and BND or BIV at 50/50 and maybe some cash if you are so inclined.
View attachment 7708298

I would say to be careful of hiring a Financial Planner and Management Firm as they will normally charge a % of your Portfolio - and it is a lot of monies. As I said we did exactly that for a long time and I regret that I/we did not move to VG and self manage as I described above many years previously..... But live and learn....

I recommend the following 2 X Web Sites / Communities and forums to read and study up on.
You can post your particulars in the suggested formats and you will get excellent feedback and suggestions.

You can also seek out a paid by the hour Chartered Financial Advisor (CFA) to review your particulars and provide you with advice. They will not manage your monies for you. We did this with Mr. Rick Ferri, and we highly recommend him. But there is many competent and well regarded CFA's out there. We used Mr. Ferri on 3 occasions - one was really just hand holding and reconfirming our previous reviews. Cost was in the ~$750 range per consultation. Well worth it for us and very useful recommendations and advice. And for us to bolster our confidence that we did have a good plan and could self manage a mid seven figure Portfolio.

gamboolman....

This is a very good post. The main point is that he has a goal and a plan and he sticks to it. Doing that is more than half the battle. In fact, doing that is arguably more important, long term, than having a perfect plan if you can't stick to it.

I've managed institutional money for decades, and one of the other good points he (unintentionally) makes is that unless you have substantial capital you are nearly always better off in funds than in individual positions. This was absolutely true when transaction costs were higher, but is still very true when you look at the difficulties of adequate diversification of a portfolio with somewhat limited means.

If I were to advise a friend who had less than a couple million dollars to invest, it is exactly what I would suggest.

Lunarstorm & BiggBeans,

View attachment 7708298

gamboolman....

This is how to do it. No point in trying to “beat the market “. I have a friend who works at the market and worries about it all day. Waste of time! Click on the booglehead link above and start reading. Wish I had followed their advice years ago.

Reactions: jrassy and RGStory
Lunarstorm & BiggBeans,

View attachment 7708298

gamboolman....

W...T...F....

…and just like that, the most concise, comprehensive and rounded post combining both personal experience and sound advice on small scale long term personal investing I have seen on the Hide.

From someone with an average post volume of ~5 per year.

Cheers to you sir, for making every shot count.

For shits and giggles, can I betcha a dollar to guess the company and in which African country you worked?

Go read up a bit or do like I did - just make an account online and stuff like $3000 in it (which is the minimum on a lot of Funds) and watch it for a couple months. Stupid simple and if you read some of the Fund descriptions you'll find one that suits your personal goals and personal investment needs. I'm trying to get retired and need to produce roughly $3000 a month in income without eating the principle. Which I have been doing now for 4 years and banking/reinvesting the gains and dividends.

I'm not into recommending Funds as I'm not a professional *but* look at stuff like VTSAX - https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/vtsax

It really is stupid simple and they'll answer any questions you have. My goal has always been to match the markets performance - I do not ever sell stuff no matter what. I buy good, widely diverse Funds and hold them thru any ups or downs. It's not a game with me and I do not "play" the markets.

VooDoo

Reactions: Moose
If you want to invest in real estate but don't want to research/purchase/sell/manage individual properties, you can invest in real estate investment trusts (REITS). Pick your sector (hotels, farmland, timber, strip centers, malls, outlets, apartments, billboards, hospitals, doctor offices, storage, data centers, retail, and on and on) and then find a trust that meets your goals. Most pay a nice dividends (usually subject to ordinary taxes), most have tax advantages, and all will fluctuate with real estate pricing and interest rates. There are even mutual funds that consist of REITS.

Open a brokerage account with Fidelity, Ameritrade, etc. Put some of your money into "SPY", the S&P500 index ETF. It's low cost and outperforms 90% of stock pickers. iShares IVV is similar. Is more than doubled in 5 yrs, up about 32% in last year. As mentioned, be a bit wary of financial advisors who charge about 2% to manage your portfolio - might be good for some, but the S&P is a great long term hold.

Reactions: Moose
Lunarstorm & BiggBeans,

View attachment 7708298

gamboolman....

Great advice...have a plan and do not deviate....invest in well established and diversified funds to minimize risk...have ample cash on hand to ride out the storms...In my own case, I have also eliminated all debt other than a modest mortgage...my loan to value is 30%...I can pay it off anytime and not miss a beat.

I do believe that one of the most critical parts of establishing your plan is to understand your future goals. I personally don't plan to retire. I plan to move from a corporate role to a consulting role but I am not one to ever consider stopping work as it is a source of enjoyment for me. I know that sounds odd as most people hate what they do and can't wait to stop. If you do plan to live on your savings, you have to really identify what your longevity will be so you can plan accordingly. Outliving your resources would suck. It is hard being poor but it is even harder to be poor AND old.

Last edited:
If you are eligible and don't currently, absolutely max out a ROTH or backdoor ROTH IRA. tax free money is the best money.

I’m not sure this exists but… is there a stock buying program that will duplicate the members of congress stock buying and selling practices. Like for instance, when Congress buys heavy on pfizer 2 weeks before COVID hits , is there a stock management company that could alert the American people to do the same. This way we would all be just as rich as our elected officials with their inside trading advantage. Same for Tesla, and all the electric cars they startEd passing bills for electric cars. Just a thought

Reactions: northern50
All I am going to say is that 46 posts deep and no one mentioned modern firearms is a terrible investment lol so those of you are holding all the KAC’s could back off please.

• Haha
Reactions: MarshallDodge
Accounts for investments are nice. And they should be a part of every retirement strategy. Let me talk about a different tact. This is about Outgoing money.

When you retire, you will have a monthly income. As likely as not, it will be less than what you were bringing in when you were working for most people. However, things around your home will still require maintenance and repair. Those bills can eat up a lot of your income. Always think about those expenses you faced in life while you were working. Cars break, houses need painting, appliances fail, plumbing needs ongoing maintenance, etc. While you are earning more money, consider getting the tooling which will allow you to do those tasks, as versus paying someone else to perform them at a much higher cost than the tools. Be sure to purchase the "expendables and wear items" for your tools too. You won't be punching a clock once you are retired, so if it takes you two weeks to paint your house (with a Good airless sprayer), then it is no big deal. Buy the tools and equipment to "do for yourself" after you retire.

Get rid of all your financial "bleeders". For example: I have two storage facilities I pay money to each month. Their contents will be emptied out (and mostly sold in huge garage sales) before I retire. This will free up almost 200 dollars every month. Need I mention the importance of zero, or near zero balance on all of those credit cards? They may impose an interest rate, which exceeds the rate of growth of your retirement fund. Your card will charge you it's interest rate, without regard to the fact the investment market is down, and the market growing at single digit rates.

Get your kids into a real career. They will be a life-time financial bleed unless you sacrifice when you are young and get them on the right track. This may mean some yelling, and helping to cover training expenses.

Be steely eyed about long-term goals. I had a buddy who used to gloat about his strategy. He had a trailer in the desert, with some solar panels, a well, and a septic tank. He used to brag about how he paid no utility bills. Until his panels failed, he couldn't pump water.. the septic tank did work. Over time he invested in an upgrade to his panel system ($5,000), and then his water level in his well dropped too low for it to work. He was out a 10,000 bill to get the well back up and running. And then his lateral lines on his septic failed. The trailer started to leak, and it caused wiring problems in it. He ended up walking away from that property. His idea Could have worked, if it had not been done on a shoe-string budget, but that was not his reality. He spent way more for his system, than the sum of his utility bills would have been if he had been connected to utilities. Make sure you have the budget to do things right. Even so, you are simply paying today, for something which will benefit you when you have less money later.

The big bleed for older Americans is health/medical. About half of America is badly overweight (myself included). Being overweight is a multiplier for medical expenses. Try to shed and keep off that weight for a few years before you retire. The last years of your life are almost always the most expensive, so don't plan on the costs based upon what you experienced when you were younger; that is a trap.

Have a plan B. You remember that kid you helped get into a better career? You may end up having to call in an IOU from them, if things get tough. Maintain that relationship, and don't forget to say good things about that girlfriend (even if your gut tells you she is a snake).

Have a plan C. Did you have any hobbies which can be morphed into a side-gig that makes money? Buy the tools to support it while you are at the peak of your earning potential. Have a work-shop, tinker, build your skills. I know a guy who makes great money machining little Aluminum cubes with one hole drilled in them. They are spacers which go under the rails of seat in a pickup truck, to raise the seat for more comfortable leg room. He makes 6 figures producing those things in his garage. You might be surprised at how much a side-gig can bring in.

Have a plan D through G. Life is uncertain. Fortunes rise and fall. Sometimes the stock market can greatly diminish investments. Keep your eye on the horizon, rather than your feet.

And yes, invest.. as that is the central theme of this thread.

Last edited:
All I am going to say is that 46 posts deep and no one mentioned modern firearms is a terrible investment lol so those of you are holding all the KAC’s could back off please.
Watch the election. If the Republicans win big in the midterms, you'll see everything drop.

Accounts for investments are nice. And they should be a part of every retirement strategy. Let me talk about a different tact. This is about Outgoing money.

When you retire, you will have a monthly income. As likely as not, it will be less than what you were bringing in when you were working for most people. However, things around your home will still require maintenance and repair. Those bills can eat up a lot of your income. Always think about those expenses you faced in life while you were working. Cars break, houses need painting, appliances fail, plumbing needs ongoing maintenance, etc. While you are earning more money, consider getting the tooling which will allow you to do those tasks, as versus paying someone else to perform them at a much higher cost than the tools. Be sure to purchase the "expendables and wear items" for your tools too. You won't be punching a clock once you are retired, so if it takes you two weeks to paint your house (with a Good airless sprayer), then it is no big deal. Buy the tools and equipment to "do for yourself" after you retire.

Get rid of all your financial "bleeders". For example: I have two storage facilities I pay money to each month. Their contents will be emptied out (and mostly sold in huge garage sales) before I retire. This will free up almost 200 dollars every month. Need I mention the importance of zero, or near zero balance on all of those credit cards? They may impose an interest rate, which exceeds the rate of growth of your retirement fund. Your card will charge you it's interest rate, without regard to the fact the investment market is down, and the market growing at single digit rates.

Get your kids into a real career. They will be a life-time financial bleed unless you sacrifice when you are young and get them on the right track. This may mean some yelling, and helping to cover training expenses.

Be steely eyed about long-term goals. I had a buddy who used to gloat about his strategy. He had a trailer in the desert, with some solar panels, a well, and a septic tank. He used to brag about how he paid no utility bills. Until his panels failed, he couldn't pump water.. the septic tank did work. Over time he invested in an upgrade to his panel system ($5,000), and then his water level in his well dropped too low for it to work. He was out a 10,000 bill to get the well back up and running. And then his lateral lines on his septic failed. The trailer started to leak, and it caused wiring problems in it. He ended up walking away from that property. His idea Could have worked, if it had not been done on a shoe-string budget, but that was not his reality. He spent way more for his system, than the sum of his utility bills would have been if he had been connected to utilities. Make sure you have the budget to do things right. Even so, you are simply paying today, for something which will benefit you when you have less money later.

The big bleed for older Americans is health/medical. About half of America is badly overweight (myself included). Being overweight is a multiplier for medical expenses. Try to shed and keep off that weight for a few years before you retire. The last years of your life are almost always the most expensive, so don't plan on the costs based upon what you experienced when you were younger; that is a trap.

Have a plan B. You remember that kid you helped get into a better career? You may end up having to call in an IOU from them, if things get tough. Maintain that relationship, and don't forget to say good things about that girlfriend (even if your gut tells you she is a snake).

Have a plan C. Did you have any hobbies which can be morphed into a side-gig that makes money? Buy the tools to support it while you are at the peak of your earning potential. Have a work-shop, tinker, build your skills. I know a guy who makes great money machining little Aluminum cubes with one hole drilled in them. They are spacers which go under the rails of seat in a pickup truck, to raise the seat for more comfortable leg room. He makes 6 figures producing those things in his garage. You might be surprised at how much a side-gig can bring in.

Have a plan D through G. Life is uncertain. Fortunes rise and fall. Sometimes the stock market can greatly diminish investments. Keep your eye on the horizon, rather than your feet.

And yes, invest.. as that is the central theme of this thread.
That is a lot of good advice.

The two biggest expenses in the typical household is the home and car. If you can learn how to keep things maintained on your own, it will save you thousands.