• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IOL replacement options

distantfoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2006
El Reno, Ok.
Looking for any and all input for lens replacement options.

I’ve been cursed with an astigmatism and near vision all my life and now cataracts at 45yo. (Normally wear soft contacts). There are so many IOL options now that it’s made the decision of which lens to go with very confusing. Unfortunately I don’t know any precision shooters, except benchrest guys, that have IOL replacements to get their feedback with hunting/shooting outside of the 100-300yd range. Most of the feedback I’ve hear from local hunters/shooters is, go with a single focal lens and get a pair of glasses for short/mid distance. Ultimately I’m good with that option if there’s not a better multi focal lens out there that still lets me see well enough to get by at close & mid distances yet still see very well at distance. The multifocal option sounds like it could create problems with iron sights, hoping that’s not the case.

I wear contacts for the same reason minis cataracts, dad wears glasses. He got Lasik after developing cataracts and said the difference is amazing.

Looking for any and all input for lens replacement options.

I’ve been cursed with an astigmatism and near vision all my life and now cataracts at 45yo. (Normally wear soft contacts). There are so many IOL options now that it’s made the decision of which lens to go with very confusing. Unfortunately I don’t know any precision shooters, except benchrest guys, that have IOL replacements to get their feedback with hunting/shooting outside of the 100-300yd range. Most of the feedback I’ve hear from local hunters/shooters is, go with a single focal lens and get a pair of glasses for short/mid distance. Ultimately I’m good with that option if there’s not a better multi focal lens out there that still lets me see well enough to get by at close & mid distances yet still see very well at distance. The multifocal option sounds like it could create problems with iron sights, hoping that’s not the case.
distantfoe, If you haven't had surgery yet and would like the option to be free from glasses for both near and far vision needs, It is very possible with current IOL implants. Not knowing your specific case history, I wouldn't want to advise you on best options. However, maybe knowing that as an optometrist, I have patients that have successfully used toric mulitifocal implants after cataract removal and are very happy with their decision. It won't be perfect but usually close and the freedom from using glasses is the goal after all.

Best of luck.