• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ion Bond

Re: Ion Bond

None of the finishes are applied to the bore. Otis is advertising some kind of "miracle" ceramic coating for inside the bore that is supposed to make barrels last longer. Anyone here tried it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the finishes are applied to the bore. Otis is advertising some kind of "miracle" ceramic coating for inside the bore that is supposed to make barrels last longer. Anyone here tried it? </div></div>

Snake oil!

something tells me that putting anything inside the bore of any gun besides bullets and cleaning essentials is a bad idea. Chrome lining, eh maybe but only if it done by the manufactures and tolerances are accounted for in the process

The USAMU tested some boron-nitride lined barrels.

The gunsmiths stated (paraphrasing), "They shot like ass."

I have three rifles coated with ultra bore coat and have been very pleased. Copper is basicly gone and no longer an issue at all. All of these are factory barrels that previously looked like a penny was dragged down the barrel.

I still have not seen enough info to determine if it will affect the bore life, specifically the throar area. I will be putting in a fast twist .243 (Brux stainless) and that should tell pretty quick if it will slow throat erosion.

Accuracy and the loads used have not changed in any of the rifles. The Tikka .223 has over 800 rounds since the last cleaning and runs between 1/2 and 3/4moa, pretty much the same as when clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I was told, it's not applied to the bore, only the outside. </div></div>

I don't think any PVD coating can be applied to the inside of a barrel.

Some guys over on M4C were going to try Melonite (What S&W uses on their M&P slides) a barrel. Melonite is a brand name of nitrocarburizing which is a surface hardening process, and is applied by dipping the part in a molten salt bath. It is not recommended for some heat treated parts like extractors and such.

I'm still waiting to see how this turns out.

accurate shooter world press