• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR 3-18 FFP or 3-18 illuminated...or other ?

Asiparks

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
Portland, Or
I've a couple of other IORs and they've worked very well for me thus far, I like the range of the 3-18, which is why I'm looking at this scope in particular (though the Viper PST looks appealing if i have the patience to wait until June/July)
My level of fieldcraft is about up to telling grass from lake, but I'd really like to learn ranging, holdovers etc. So I'm thinking the non illuminated FFP version would be the way to go for shooting out to about 6-700 yrds. Is 18X excessive, would a 12X be as practical at those distances ?
Cheers

Re: IOR 3-18 FFP or 3-18 illuminated...or other ?

asiparks,

The 3-18 IOR FFP non-illuminated (along with the 2.5-10 FFP) are about the best that IOR makes. The 3-18 range is very useful, though I find that I use mine (a newish Gen 4) mostly from 6-14x.

The MP-8 Special is a very good reticle, for ranging hold-overs, unders, et al. 18x is not excessive for small targets at long range, and it's useful as well on steel targets out to 1K. I have not wished for any less then 3x or more than 18x since I bought this scope. The 3-18 range covers everything I need to shoot, for hunting and tactical comps.

Not a thing wrong with 12x top end, out to 600-700 yds or so, except when it's not.

Good luck,

Bob

anyone got any pics of the IOR 3-18x on an AR15 or AR10?

Sure, Top one in the photo is an AR-10 w/IOR Gen 4. Middle is my Gen 4 on a Rem 700 LTR. Bottom is a Gen 2 on a Savage. All are IOR 3-18 FFP's

SDC10637-1.jpg