• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR 6-24x50, Dead

Sc0

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2003
Houston, TX
Side focus, non-illuminated, MP-8, 30mm tube; purchased in '03 and died with a life of around 89rds of .338 Lapua ammo sitting on top of a AR-30M.

Lost focus after the each of the last two rounds and then lost ability to change power, everything is just blurred. Kinda disapointed as I had 80 rounds to shoot today and was only able to squeeze off two of them....

Lifetime warranty and I did find the receipt so after a few calls will verify the correct address, RMA and a name to send it to... Has anyone verified their customer service/warranty lately? On a side note a guy at the range broke the etched reticle glass on a Zeiss Conquest with a Barrett M99, so crap can happen to any scope. (I have a Conquest on a .308, fingers crossed.)

Re: IOR 6-24x50, Dead

Super Snipers are tailor made for abusive rifles, IMHO.

Fairly tough, lots of internal adjustment, and priced right to replace if/when they are toast.

ScO, I'll buy it from you broke.. Let me know. Would hate for you to put a broken or repaired piece of glass on another rifle and not have confidence it it.

The Zeiss Conquest on your friends Barrett 99 was failure just waiting to happen.

Many folks don't realize that that reason 50's are so hard on scopes is because of the "double recoil" effect caused by the muzzle brake.

It is very similar to spring piston air rifles. If you put a standard rifle scope on a spring piston air rifle, the internal parts will often get knocked loose.

There is approximately 21 "g" reversal in forces from the muzzle brake on a 50. Most rifle scopes are designed to withstand recoil in one direction only. Airgun scopes are designed for both. There are a number of manufacturers who's products stand up to a 50 without problem, NF, USO, S&B, Leupold Mk4 M1 & Ultra series. With almost all others, it is not a question of if, only when it will come apart.

If I can find the article that documents this phenomenon from one of the old FCSA VHP articles, I will.

ScO, I would contact Valdada/IOR Directly. I believe the scope has a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, I've seen all of the scopes above go tits up at one time or another, especially on the the big sticks.

http://www.valdada.com/

I had a 2.5-10 Illum FFP start having all sorts of parallax issues suddenly a few months back.
Scott at LO advised to send in for replacement, which I did. No FFP 2.5-10's were available so I got a RA with Scott's help and switched to a 4-15 SFP non-illum with side focus (2.5-10 are fixed).
I've shot probably 60 rounds with it and it seems fine, just not sure if I have 100% confidence or if I like SFP, but it may go up for trade soon. Tank of a scope though, and Scott was a good deal of help.

-1 for Valdada so far, called the customer service and got the voicemail with no return calls... Val still running the show?

More than likely after this is repaired it will be replaced by a Nightforce or USO. Figured I can pay more to have more reassurance would be worth it, gambles.

I was lookin at Valdada before i bought my Nightforce, glad i didnt get one. Hope it gets taken care of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sc0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More than likely after this is repaired it will be replaced by a Nightforce or USO. Figured I can pay more to have more reassurance would be worth it, gambles. </div></div>

Not a bad idea....

Updated: received a call a little while ago and was assured the warranty is still good to go and the scope would be taken care of when I send it in. BTW: Does anyone remember when the 34mm IOR's were introduced?

I have two NSX scopes already, one mounted on a AR-50 and the other on a AR-10T. Have always wanted to try a USO and that option seems more viable now with the ST-17, ST-22 series. When I bought the AR-30M the Lapua was a "newish" cartridge on the market and Leupold/Burris scopes had their own flaws so decided to take a leap for better optics and durability and pay a few bucks more... (I think that this was before Leupold introduced the variable MKIV's and raised the price)

Hi I have an IOR 6X super M2 on the way back to the US as the warranty is not covered through the Australian imoorter even if I pay for shipping. Also aparently if you are not the first purchaser they can decide not to fix them even if it is a manufacturing issue and their web advertising does not state that anywhere they state lifetime warranty so we will se if my scope gets fixed it has a grub screw rattling around inside and one of the scope ring caps is drilled of to one side.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I had a warranty issue with the exact same IOR model a while back. I sent it to IOR in Colorado and they handled the situation in a timely manner with courtesy & professionalism.

Remember, you're dealing with a man-made optical instrument. Things DO go wrong with such an item regardless of manufacture. Your IOR going tits up is unfortunate but doesn't mean that IOR's products are to be avoided.

The most important factor is that IOR provides you with prompt, fair servicing. I'd be very cautious of drawing conclusions now, before they've had a chance to help you out. Scott & Val treated me very well & I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

IOR will take care of you.

Here's a little secret, the 30mm tube 6-24x50 is probably the most troublesome scope IOR made, which is why it was scrapped for the 35mm tube model, which has been a quantam leap better.

Scott @ Valdada has been a boost for the CS and will honor all warranties as written. You should be fine.

ScO, I think I shot with the guy when his Conquest broke, was he back with the thing still broken?

I was there when a guy - said he was an old 0300 came over and asked us to take a look. it was a Conquest, 4.5-14 I think, plex reticule, the right-side horizontal line had a small gap between the horizontal and the vertical. The scope had target turrets, the gun looked almost brand new - same guy?

There can't be that many Barretts with Zeiss Conquest in Houston. Was this at American? 300 yard line?

And as for fingers crossed, I've got a Conquest on a hard-kicking 300WM and after a few hundred rounds down the pipe, all is still well.

Im sure it will be worked out i do want it back their scopes are awsome it is just that they can be fussy about things but a lot of companies are trying to make money and reduce any items they have to take back or fix as it saves them money. Or so they think. i believe if companies fixed things that would be benificial as others would say that is life i had an issue but they fixed it without any problems.

Cheers Bil
Australia

IOR (Valdada) is a one-man show.

If you expect your riflescope to be serviceable in The USA, look elsewhere.

After 2 miserable experiences, one with a brand new $1300+ scope which they did not fix or repair; I will not deal with them again. The damn things are heavier than boat anchors anyway.

IOR-Valdada is a 2 person marketing operation. They claim to be in the same league as Zeiss, Nightforce, Leupold, Schmidt? Not until they hire a couple hundred people and actually have a service team to fix & customize their merchandise. Hell, they're still using a funky 25yr old cassette answering machine, because the owner is too cheap to invest in his franchise.

IOR is a hit or miss deal. Good luck to those of you who think your scope will never break.

My McMillan MCRT in 338LM broke a NF BR model-NOT an NSX. My Ferret 50 ate up a Leupold VariX III in 18 rounds. THOUSANDS of 50 BMG rounds haven't touched my 20X Supersniper. I have USO on both my 338LM's now as well as a S&B PMII currently on my GAP TIS-but would easily do duty on any heavy hitters.Hopefully IOR service has improved.
crazy.gif

Took ownership of my new IOR 3-18x42mm in late April 07. By July it fell apart with 60-70 rounds though it. Gun is a 7.5 lb 30-06 Ackly pushing 180 gr @ 3000 fps. Recoil is fierce but tolerable. Failure sounded very similar to "ScO's; loss of focus and ability to change power. Could actually hear something rattling around inside.

Called Scott @ IOR, sent it back and was sent a new one, Ricky Tic. Promptly sold it! I can agree that a company who is willing to stand behind their product can receive cudos. But, I've read too many posts here and elsewhere about IOR's having failures. I also realize all the other scope companies have failures but their history is much longer thus the inevitability of failures. A newer company, at least here in US, with so many failures, to me, is unacceptable. Maybe in a number of years, with a longer track history, I might try IOR again. Not now, not when I'm planning a $20k Alaskan hunt next year. I want several hundred rounds through my scope before I trust it. If I'm wrong, it's my loss. If I'm right, it's a big hunk of cash down the tubes at best, or having to use the extra 29 oz of scope weight on my rifle to beat back a pissed off Grizzly.

Oh yeah, every web site I've ever seen with IOR's weight for this scope says 22 oz. Not!!!! I put mine on 3 different scales to include those at my local post office; 29 oz! I even informed Val and Scott of this. Same 22 oz on their web site.

In addition to all the above, I had two customers order, through me and my FFL, two Optolyth spotting scopes; the 20-60x65 and the 15-45x80. Both scopes arrived in quick order. Both customers came in together, since they were friends, to take possession of their new toys but upon inspection decided against the purchase because the 20-60's focus adjustment ring was loose. The 15-45 customer like the scope but lost faith in his when he saw the focus problems of the 20-60. I ended up returning both to IOR with an explanation. Val only returned 90% of my money. Opting to keep 10% as a restocking fee. BS I say. When a $1200-1300 retail product fails to meet standards, the distributor better meet my expectations. Val lost me as a dealer that day and I'll gladly tell this story again. Scott's a great guy to deal with by the way.

Had same problem with 6-24x30 mm tube. IOR said could not fix all 6-24x30 scopes had that probelem. I sent them scope and paid difference to upgrade to 35 mm tube. Have had no problems since it is mounted on 300 WSM.

Those who had piss poor service etc was it by scott@libertyoptics?
i,m thinking not.
Call scott
My scope will be IOR
after looking thru one the glass is that much better than my NXS, my eyes my coin. Will buy from scott coz if it shits the bed he will make it right..pronto..schnell..asap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ScO, I think I shot with the guy when his Conquest broke, was he back with the thing still broken?

I was there when a guy - said he was an old 0300 came over and asked us to take a look. it was a Conquest, 4.5-14 I think, plex reticule, the right-side horizontal line had a small gap between the horizontal and the vertical. The scope had target turrets, the gun looked almost brand new - same guy?

There can't be that many Barretts with Zeiss Conquest in Houston. Was this at American? 300 yard line?</div></div>

That be him! The .50 community is a small one, especially since only one range allows them and goes out to 300/600 yards... Good guy and plenty knowledgeable with the BMG's... HE seemed happy with the Tasco SS scope mounted on the Barrett and was equally as happy with the warranty service from Zeiss though he did say he mounted the Zeiss to a different rifle after he got it back.

And, the EFR Scopes will hold up...........
because they are set up to take it BOTH way's also.

TS,

Gotta agree with the EFR statement. In my experience the EFRs(6.5x20s) are some of the toughest mothers there are.

Bad news, IOR informed me that the scope will have to returned back to the factory for repairs... Was offered a chance to upgrade to a newer bigger one for a fee but no extra money for that option, so will be waiting for it to be returned fixed and like new again.

Seems odd it has to go back to the factory. Oh well I guess as long as it isn't costing you anything out of pocket it is a fair deal.

Interested to hear from you on how it performs once you get it back.

BINGO!!!

Received a NEW IOR 6-24x50 30mm tube scope in the mail yesterday, very surprising especially after the last phone call that I had with them. IT seems that the side focus needs a bit more force to operate than my previous scope and the eyepiece focus is a little looser but truthfully I can't remember messing with the eyepiece focus on the first scope as it was set and not touched again. So IOR Warranty is pretty quick even with conflicting information. Also with the new scope the turret's have new adjusting screws with the actual slot being in the middle. The first IOR scopes including mine looked like the screw slots were cut by hand with a Dremel, a noticeable improvement.

Even though the scope was advertised to withstand .50bmg levels I was informed in one of many phone calls that it was flawed and improved on with the now 35mm tube models and should not be used on "Magnum" rifles.... so it is for sale.

Does anyone know if the warranty is tranferrable?

Eh.... 20rds of Non-Magnum .308 win and the scope side parallax is in-op... going to give IOR a ring in the morning to see what the procedure is for this time around...

Spoke with Val today and he has requested the scope to be sent back, suggested a 4-6 week turnaround... He sounded astonished to hear of the failure in a low round count in a low recoil rifle. So here is to the warranty process again....

Wow, that sure is piss poor luck. Two scopes KIA...

ScO, if you have the money (since it isn't around the holiday spending spree time of year) it looks like you may want to pay a little out of pocket to upgrade to the 35mm tube. Several people to include a distributor seem to think it should cure your issue.

Wouldn't blame you for selling the scope either way once you get the replacement. Good luck to you.

Is there anything I could do to help?

The 6-24x50 30mm tube is a turd, plain and simple. The 35mm model has been exceptional.

Steve123,

Three S&B's going down in a match???? any details as to what models and what the issues are?

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 6-24x50 30mm tube is a turd, plain and simple. The 35mm model has been exceptional.

Scott </div></div>

Just curious (I know you are not IOR and just trying to help), assuming what you said is a given at this point - why do they/IOR bother repairing or swapping out the scope for the same potential turd vs swapping out one that they know doesn't suffer from being a turd?

I mean granted its not my business and I don't know what the cost factors were behind the decision, but I would think it would be bad pr to keep sending out turds with the only option to get away from it being a upgrade fee (which when added up kinda defeats the purpose of some folks picking up the IOR back then vs a known in the price range we are talking about after initial purchase price and now upgrade price).

I guess one always has the option of selling it off after swap/repair, but then some other poor soul has to deal with it potentially crapping out to become a turd... and then there is the question of whether or not the warranty is even transferable...

When they swap this one out, this will be what? His turd/third one? I mean you can only polish/repair a turd so much... (ok bad attempts at humor, I will quit now...)

-pd

PTD- I agree that a customer paying to upgrade defeats the purpose of initially buying a less-expensive piece of equipment hoping it will fulfill the role you need it to. That is the chance you take when you try to cut corners though. IOR is not obligated to upgrade customers scopes free of charge even though it would be an awesome customer service move. They are a small enough operation that they probably can't afford it realistically. From what someone said earlier it looks like they can't even fix all the broken ones free of charge even without the upgrade.

All comes down to that famous saying here: "Buy once, cry once."

Hi Scott,

The S$B's,haha, were at The TPRC in Phoenix AZ this last weekend.The side focus went down on one of them and couldn't tell you the details on the other two.

I heard one Nightforce died also.

Steve

That was my IOR. Third one that died, 2 9-36 and this 6-24.

They have been good about replacing them, but it's just never OK for an expensive scope to tank.

Ross

At the time this scope was the "flagship" of the IOR line. It was a gamble to try a new scope instead of forking out the extra $200 for a Nighforce, (Leupolds were cheaper at the time). This scope met all my requirements except for the durability part which was way after everyone else noticed the flaw. Since I have received the scope back I just got around to shooting it again to sight it in... A few people upgraded to the 35mm models when failures were high, I was not one of them. IOR has steadily increased their prices since their upgrades started...

(After this scope I purchased a Nightforce NXS and a US Optics ST-17x so I do know about optic quality vs. price.) Also if you read the thread, these scopes were not CHEAP by anybodies pocketbook or wallet standards... A scope that breaks doesn't do the user any good. Scott, i'll give you a ring tomorrow before I send this back to Val to check my options.

Update: IOR received the scope on 11 Mar and after a phone call a few days later to check on the status I was informed that I was to be expecting it back around mid-April.

Scott, I have tried getting in contact with you here by PM and by phone but guess that business is pretty good as my attempts were unsuccessful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sc0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Scott, I have tried getting in contact with you here by PM and by phone but guess that business is pretty good as my attempts were unsuccessful. </div></div>

Brother, I've kept my PM box maintained and don't recall any PMs, and I'm here right now 406-890-2714.

We have ben in a move to a new location the lasr few days and my phone comm is spotty, I apologize about that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rossneder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
They have been good about replacing them, but it's just never OK for an expensive scope to tank.

Ross </div></div>

I agree 100%

The thing that really strikes me is that this thread is well over a year old yet the OP is still struggling with a broken IOR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing that really strikes me is that this thread is well over a year old yet the OP is still struggling with a broken IOR.

</div></div>

Nah, to be fair to IOR and Scott - if you read through it you will see that the original problem was addressed and that this is a new problem reported in Feb/09 with the replacement.

-pd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing that really strikes me is that this thread is well over a year old yet the OP is still struggling with a broken IOR.

</div></div>

Nah, to be fair to IOR and Scott - if you read through it you will see that the original problem was addressed and that this is a new problem reported in Feb/09 with the replacement.

-pd </div></div>

The replacement scope took a year to fail. Looks like the replacement takes 2 months.