• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR compared to Nightforce

nobody13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Montana
I have searched and am looking for additional opinions broken down. I have one NXS and love it, but have been curious about the IOR. It Will be mounted on a hunting/Target rifle in 6.5x47L. Interested in whether or not I would be wasting my time with an IOR instead of sticking with the Nightforce. 3.5-15x50 R1 is what I would go with in the NXS line. What say you about the IOR in a comparable variant??

Thanks, in advance, for the intel.

Re: IOR compared to Nightforce

IOR has better glass and a great reticle. NF has better internals and turret design. Take your pick of which is most important to you. Personally I've owned a IOR and would have reservations about purchasing another.

i really liked my ior 6-24 56 gen 4. glass was outstanding. the gen 4 are currenty trying to prove their reliability from previous generations and i believe they are doing it well. even if they do they cant catch up with nf record of reliability. however nf does not match their features FFP with 20+ magnification for the money either. so in short mag/features vs reliability. i really liked the floating .1 mil dot for an aiming pt. i really liked the mp-8 reticle. ive moved to schmidt but thats another story entirely

Well I sold the one NF I had a couple years ago, and am on my 3rd IOR. No reliabiity problems here. I like the turrets on the IOR better, and the glass at least to my eyes is better. Sure they had a few issues with some of the first run of 3-18 FFP scope that went out, but to my understanding the actual number of failures was pretty small, and as I understand they were initialy released prior to all testing was complete at the request of a group who new they would be doing the first field testing of the model in question. Of course there were going to be some issues that would be found. Those issues have been taken care of, and the customer service has improved through the handling of those issues. You can pretty well figure I haven't bought my last IOR.

The FFP mil/mil IOR's have a thicker reticle = .1 mil. Some like them some don't. If you need to see the reticle when the magnification is dialed down the thicker reticle is an advantage. There's no question that they are a bargain. Every modern feature one could want coupled with superior glass. If it ever breaks they'll take care of you.

NF is the old standby. Without a doubt the most reliable scope on the market. Could use some new revamps on their illume system and a higher mag ffp.

Have owned 5 IOR. Will never buy another.
Have owned NXS 8-32x and 2.5-10 24mm; kept the 2.5-10x

Sightron SIII is worth a strong look. Read the comments over at benchrestcentral.com; many have changed from Nightforce to Sightron.

i didn't see that ior was better optically. glass was pretty comparable, the dioptic adjustment on the nightforce is a little tricky, easier on the ior, i'd venture to say that could have been the issue some people had. i have hands on my nightforce every day, i do a full rotation on the turret and back to the zero stop at least twice a day, then i take it hunting on the weekend. it's always on. i took a nasty spill and my rifle fell a few feet 2 weekends ago walking out of a cut over, i shot it, it was fine.

I have both IOR's (especially the recent vintage) and Nightforces, the glass on the IOR's is clearly a cut above, but the Nightforce glass is still very good. IOR has made mechanical quality improvements and better (apparent) QC procedures, but it will take a while for the reputation (albeit deserved) of problematic earlier models to fade. That said, both are solid scopes at this point in time.

I have owned both in multiple models

I like the price break you get on the IOR especially used.

Never had a problem with the IORs

I own both. The glass on my IOR is significantly better and the mp8 reticle is awesome with the floating dot. However, the controls on my NF are much more robust. I find the IOR dials very mushy compared to the NF. I really don't like to parallax dial on the IOR either.

The illumination system on the IOR is also a generation ahead. The IOR weighs a ton.

Both scopes work and track perfectly, and I enjoy shooting with both.

For whatever reason, I do feel the NF is built better and would not fail if really abused. My IOR just does not inpire as much confidence as my NF.

Matt

I looked at the IOR before I bought my NF (used from a member).

For me resale value on the NF was a big selling point. I was confident that I could sell the NF for what I had in it and sell it quickly if I wanted/needed to. The IOR's I watched at the time were selling at a greater discount from new and were taking much longer to sell.

I just purchased the new 3.5-18x50 MOA/MOA 35mm tube. I haven't been able to use it yet as the rifle it will be on hasn't arrived . So far though, I am extremely impressed. Me elevation turret felt almost identicle to my NXS, but the windage did feel mushy. I promptly called and was informed that it is a common question, and not to worry as it is the grease that is packed into it. I have adjusted the turret several times and it seems to be working through the internals and becoming much more positive in feel. I will be able to post a range report as soon as I receive my new 6.5x47L. I am more than confident that it will perform perfectly. I would definatley agree that the highlights of the optic are the glass,the illumination system and thereticle.

Resale of NF is better, internals, turrets and diopter adjustment are better. IOR customer support, glass, reticle, field of view, magnification range is all better.

I have owned 5 or 6 IORs and never had a problem with them. They do tend to sell for a discount when used. I will also say that I have sold all of my IORs and replaced them with Schmidt and Bender scopes. While the IOR has excellent glass, the total package is not on the same level as S&B. But, the price on S&B is much higher. I would suggest going with the NF first. If you are not pleased, just resell it, take a small loss, then go with the IOR. Buying the IOR first and changing your mind will likely be more costly.

IOR has had some hit and misses scopes no pun intended. The new IOR sounds like they are doing better much better. The IOR glass maybe slightly better than the NF glass but not by much.

Nightforce have been prove time and time again to be rock solid and there for you when you need it. I prefer the NF Turrets (the feel of the clicks / the way the 0-Stop works) and the outer finish is nicer. Also we just have some of the NF NXS C154 MIL-Spec Scopes and they have better glass then the civilian units.

Link to NF C154 MIL-SPEC NXS 3.5-15x50mm

ARMY_MIL_Spec_3__4ee6f2e49d800.jpg

For the most part you I feel you would be happy with either one you get.

We have IOR and Nightforce in stock. If we can be of help feel free to ask.

Mike @ CST