• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes IOR or Leupold, advice needed, first-timer...

westford86

Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Anchorage, AK
<span style="color: #990000">---- UPDATE!!! I've purchased a scope. No need to keep this going. ---- </span>

Hello everyone, I'm new to Snipers Hide, and I'm about to buy my first longer range optic. I would like to make my purchase tomorrow. I'm an AR shooter, I just got a new SPR upper and the last thing I need to complete it is glass. What I have isn't a strict copy of the Mk12, but based on it - LaRue Stealth Receiver, 13.2 handguard, low profile gas block and BCG, with a 1/7.7 twist 18" Kreiger barrel.

My ideal scope is a USO ST-10 with all the goodies, I have talked to USO about the spec and hopefully I can get one ordered before the end of the year; I've just got to save up or find a great deal on a used one…

As of right now I'm getting a little impatient to start shooting my new upper. I'm looking at getting a scope to hold me over and then sell once it comes time to finish paying off the USO. I've narrowed my choice down to two options, both used, and from listings on here and AR15.

These are my two choices - Leupold Mark 4 10x40 Mil Dot with M1 turrets and side focus $700 - or - IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP lit MP8 reticle $675

Just so anyone who might comment knows, I intend to use the scope mostly from 100-300 yards. I think both scopes have their advantages and disadvantages and I just cant make my mind up. I'm hoping someone can sway me in one direction or the other with some sound logic or previous experience with these scopes.

The big disadvantage with both of these scopes is that they both have Mil reticles but MOA indexing of the turrets, the advantage goes to the Leupold because eventually I can get M5 turrets for it, and their customer service is great.

My primary concern is with the IOR is the fixed parallax, I just like being able adjust that. I also have no experience with IOR and I'm hesitant to try them out. I've also read that the lit reticle is to bright on any setting, and their customer service isn't as good as Leupold. It's nice that it's FFP, but I am just as content with a fixed 10x for a medium power scope as I don't think I'll shoot at any other power… And I think most IOR's are ugly except for the ones they just released (admit it, you take looks into consideration too)

The big advantage for the IOR is the MP8 reticle (not the MP8 dot), I like it quite a bit, and a lot more than the Leupold Mil Dot. The IOR also gets points for having a lit reticle, but if it's to bright as some accounts say then what's the point? Finally, I have heard great things about their glass.

The main disadvantages for the Leupold is that the reticle isn't lit, and it's the less preferable Mil Dot reticle (it's good enough, but I like more finite markings).

The positive side of the Leupold is the side focus for correcting parallax. I also grew up with Leupold on everything I shot and I've had great luck with the two I currently own, so I'm comfortable purchasing one. I've also head that the fixed power Mark 4's are far superior to the variable power Mk 4's, and there also made with more robust tube.

So in the end what it comes down to is pretty simple, which scope is the better buy? With either one I'm going to compromise on the features I really desire. Does the side focus of the Leupold really matter in comparison to the IOR with it's fixed parallax? Is the lighting on the IOR's any good? Which one would you buy?

Re: IOR or Leupold, advice needed, first-timer...

The IOR has better glass and a reticle that is in my opinion more usable than a standard mil-dot. Your mileage may vary. Plus it is illuminatied (like you want) and is a little cheaper.

The mark 4 is good... but I wouldn't ever buy another Leupold product... ever. It's my opinion and belief about the product and its company that influence my decision. To be short, I'd take an IOR, NF, USO, SWFA SS etc any day over a Leupold, but thats just me.
smile.gif

Not a professional nor have I slept at a Holiday Inn Express lately so take this with a grain of salt.

I have run IOR (2.5-10 SFP and 2.5-10 FFP illuminated) and Leupold (3.5-10LR with the BDC turret) on my bolt guns and think the IOR is a better scope. Which is why I owned 2. The glass on the IOR is better IMO. I never had any issues with the scopes so o never had to use the warranty and can't comment there.

Not sure why you would want an St10 on an SPR as this are better suited to a compact variable line the NF 2.5-10x 32. But the St 10 will do you good.

Something else to consider if you are really set on a fixed power scope i is to get a Super Sniper from SWFA and then replace thT with your final choice. They can be had much cheaper than what you're looking to spend, especially since you are going to get rid of it in less than a year or so. The SS can be had with mil reticle and knobs as well

I have had very good customer service with IOR, wish I could say the same for Leupold. Not to mention the IOR is about twice the scope the Leupold is, way better glass in the IOR in my opinion, and Leupold is just now getting around to FFP and Mil/Mil.

Do the IOR....

If given the choices that you presented I would go for the IOR. The reason is I like the variable flexibility vice a 10x. I have had an IOR and I have several MK4 so I have no issue saying the glass on the IOR is better but at the range you are shooting that is not going to make that much of difference. Now, if your choices were a variable MK4 and a variable IOR that difference may come down to cost. And, either one would be acceptable for what you are doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a professional nor have I slept at a Holiday Inn Express lately so take this with a grain of salt.

I have run IOR (2.5-10 SFP and 2.5-10 FFP illuminated) and Leupold (3.5-10LR with the BDC turret) on my bolt guns and think the IOR is a better scope. Which is why I owned 2. The glass on the IOR is better IMO. I never had any issues with the scopes so o never had to use the warranty and can't comment there.

Not sure why you would want an St10 on an SPR as this are better suited to a compact variable line the NF 2.5-10x 32. But the St 10 will do you good.

Something else to consider if you are really set on a fixed power scope i is to get a Super Sniper from SWFA and then replace thT with your final choice. They can be had much cheaper than what you're looking to spend, especially since you are going to get rid of it in less than a year or so. The SS can be had with mil reticle and knobs as well </div></div>

So far the score is 3 IOR, 0 Leupold...

I have never given any serious consideration to the SWFA scopes. I don't know if it's just the way they look or their ridiculous logo, but I've always dismissed them... I'll try to get over that and do some research. This is just my instincts telling me something, but are their scopes a private label deal? Do you know who actually makes them? After reading this article rear focus adjustment has become an indicator of a lower end products, and the SWFA 10x42 has it. I'm very tentative about SWFA, anyone care to convince me of how they are better than Leupold.

And to your question about why I would want a ST-10 on a SPR; no particular reason other than I really like that scope. My SPR isn't a clone, it's just based on the concept of a SPR. So when it comes to glass I'm just getting what I like, and I don't think you can really go wrong with anything USO.

Thanks for the good responses so far.

Still no one backing the Leupold, it's looking like the IOR is the way to go.

Still no answer or opinion on the adjustable parallax, anyone want to field this?

Regarding the SWFA SS series of scopes and how I understand them they WERE made by Tasco and sold through SWFA years back... since then SWFA may have started making these scopes in house.

The SS scopes are very good for the money. The glass is also brighter than Leupold to my eyes for whatever that's worth. I have never had a problem with rear parallax but prefer it on the side.

My IOR has sharper glass than my MK4.
I like IOR a lot.

If you want rugged the fixed 10x is bomb proof and the glass is far better then the adjustable jokes leupold calls MK4s.

IOR has never shown me anything but very good glass.I went through 2 generations of the 3-18.Horrible eye relief and very sensative eye position.Three piece scope bodies and anything more then 308 it wouldn't hold zero.

Im sure the current ones are better but everyones slamming leupolds like they've never done right and praising IOR like they've never polished a turd and used customers as a test base.

In the end if you dont need the variable the fixed mk4 is viable if you do I'm sure the IOR would fill the bill.

So far there have been some good strong opinions, I like that. The only thing that has remained unanswered is the question about parallax adjustment on the IOR?

Does anyone have anything to say about the lack of parallax adjustment with the IOR?

Between the two choices you posted, IOR is a better way to go. While some IOR models have had reliability issues (mostly early 35mm tube scopes), the 2.5-10x42 has pretty robust to the best of my knowledge. IOR has been making it for a long time.

That having been said, I think the best option for you would be SWFA SS 10x42HD. It is optically and mechanically superb, has mil/mil reticle/knobs configuration and has parallax adjustment.

SWFA SS 10x42HD

Please note that the 10x42HD is a very different scope from the original 10x42 (as the price indicates), so make sure you are looking at the right one.

ILya

Between the two you suggest if you can get a FFP Mil Mil IOR 2.5-10 for that price do it. It is a very good scope.

IOR got a bad name on this forum because they introduced a scope called the "Snipers Hide" edition 3-18X and it had a failure rate of like 30% out of the gate. Now as far as I know they fixed them all but that sort of thing can leave an imprint.

I'm building a similar rifle and looking to purchase the 3-9 super sniper, 3-10X Weaver or 10X mil mil bushnell for it.

edit: when I shoot I set the parallex at like 200 and just use it. I got into the habit of "setting it" because a few leupies I have will change zero when the parallex is adjusted.

IOR all the way. Their CS has stepped up and I'd put them well above anyone in their price point range.

I'd be looking at the SS 3-9 instead of the other 2 you are considering.Variables offer more versatility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be looking at the SS 3-9 instead of the other 2 you are considering.Variables offer more versatility. </div></div>

+1 All the way.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting that the ST10 wouldn't do well for you. It and anything USO is good to go IMO. Just suggesting that there may be better choices out there fir an SPR style weapon. In the end how you intend to use the gin will drive the equipment choice. The ST is a great scope.

The super snipers are good scopes for the money. They are a great alternative for those on a tight budget or those of us who need to save a while before being able to get our first choice bought bu want to start shooting now. They have a side parallax adjust version it's an M designation. They may be an alternative that let's you put the extra couple of hundred toward your ST and give you the option of getting that in your hands faster. They are not the equivalent of the IOR, but will work.

Seen a 2.5-10x42 FFP MIL/MIL for sale at a reasonable price on Gunbroker.

I would do the IOR over a comparable variable MK4. Have no exp. with the fixed 10x which is the other scope you are considering.
While re-reading your post, I see that the IOR in question is probably and older model with the 1/2moa covered turrets. The illumination on that model was, IME, too bright even at the lowest setting for nighttime use. YMMV.

Parallax - dont worry about it. Unless you are trying to shoot itty bitty groups inside of 100 meters it aint gonna matter.

I'd suggest one of two ways depending on your buying power;
Either a 1980-mid 1990's Leupold M1 LR
or
a new IOR

This was a great topic, I really appreciate everybody's advice. I think I need to try a IOR someday, but I've decided to go an entirely different rout. I'm just going straight for the USO and skipping the whole intermediate scope thing...

I haven't places my order yet, that will happen next month after I get back from a business trip. Now my big decision is 37mm vs. 44mm objective and whether or not to go with the ST-10 or the SN-3 1.8-10? After doing some thinking I realized the variable power would be nice for ranges less than 100 yards, but is it really worth the extra $600?

On a side note, I've got to give USO credit for being easy to reach and honest in their recommendations. I talked with Jeff at US Optics today and he did a great job answering all my questions.

And lastly, if anyone want to make me a good deal on a ST-10 or SN-3 (in a couple months) email me.

I've been very impressed with the IOR scopes I've handled so far. A friend had a high end Leupold about ten years ago on a Steyr SSG and after less than 20 rounds, the crosshairs collapsed. Maybe a fluke, I don't know. On a side not about SWFA's logo, it appears to be a copy of a WW2 German Air Force (Luftwaffe) reconnaissance clasp as worn by pilots and aircrew of recon aircraft.

I have a M3A Ultra Mark 4 10 power.
It is a really good scope! Compared to my SS 20 power it is mutch brighter!

I have not shot an IOR but I do remember their past history which I was told has been rectified. Either way Leupold or IOR its up to you.

Hi Westford- I am curious, where did you find these prices for the Leupold and the IOR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WestOfPecos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Westford- I am curious, where did you find these prices for the Leupold and the IOR? </div></div>

Both of my options were from listings on here and AR15, not from any retail site.

Its funny that this topic came up today because I have been back and forth between a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal, and IOR 3.5-18x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scopes.

The main thing I have been looking for are First Focal, Illuminated mildot or similiar reticle, variable power, paralax adjustment, and a mil/mil setup in 1:10 clicks. The only thing the Leupold doesnt have is the illuminated reticle.

I can get the Leupold for $1300, the Nightforce for more than $2000, and the IOR for around $1900-$2100. Im having a tough time getting past the price differences between these. My gunsmith is good friends with the local Leupold rep and can get me a good price on Leupold stuff. Are the Nightforce and IOR worth the extra cost? Im going to be using this stick for 0-600yrds. Its a Remington 700P, glass bedded, in 300winmag.

Just remember IF you buy the Leupy you will most likely have to purchase two scopes inorder to have one that is working while the other is being "fixed".
grin.gif

Come on Hank, that's bashing:)

Funny, I started with Leupys, then changed to IORs, now I use Nightforce scopes. I really like the nightforces so far. The IORs are good glass but have had issues in the past (none of mine) and the Leupys are a value scope these days. You can buy a used on reasonably and they will stand behind it forever if you have trouble with it. That said, for the most part you do get what you pay for. Nighforce makes a sweet scope.

One question, I know FFP is the rage these days but are you going to be dialing your scope or just using holdover? Ranging?
I use a rangefinder and dial my scope so FFP isof no use to me even though I've had it and in some situation I guess it might be helpful. However on low power the reticle can be hard to see due to being so small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny that this topic came up today because I have been back and forth between a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal, and IOR 3.5-18x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scopes.

The main thing I have been looking for are First Focal, Illuminated mildot or similiar reticle, variable power, paralax adjustment, and a mil/mil setup in 1:10 clicks. The only thing the Leupold doesnt have is the illuminated reticle.

I can get the Leupold for $1300, the Nightforce for more than $2000, and the IOR for around $1900-$2100. Im having a tough time getting past the price differences between these. My gunsmith is good friends with the local Leupold rep and can get me a good price on Leupold stuff. Are the Nightforce and IOR worth the extra cost? Im going to be using this stick for 0-600yrds. Its a Remington 700P, glass bedded, in 300winmag.
</div></div>

I don't have enough experience with high-end glass to answer questions with confidence. I only know what I know from research, but at the end of the day USO seems to be the best option when you're really picky about the spec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny that this topic came up today because I have been back and forth between a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1, Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal, and IOR 3.5-18x50 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scopes.

</div></div>

I'm an IOR fan myself,but I would see if anyone local to you has a NF F1 and the new IOR that you can look through before you make a decision.With either one you get what you pay for.If the Illumination on the F1 is like it was on my 5.5-22 it's one factory setting too bright for me to use in LL conditions.As far as Loopy goes?

The IOR 3.5-18X50 is $1895 inc shipping from LO,a vendor here on the Hide.

I have both an IOR (3-18x42 sfp) and a NF(5.5-22x50 sfp) both have tremendous light tansmission but I have to say I like the NF better because I feel the reticle is sharper through the magnification range. I am a big fan of NF. I have no experience with Leupold optics.

Between the two, IOR hands down. Guaranteed to be no Japanese or Chinese parts in an IOR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between the two, IOR hands down. Guaranteed to be no Japanese or Chinese parts in an IOR. </div></div>

I wouldn't be so sure about that because of the electronics in the illumination control.

Also, "Made in Japan" is a good thing when it comes to scopes and electronics generally.

It is "Made in China" that you don't want to see.

I agree. Nothing wrong with japanese stuff imo.

In addition, the much respected nightforce do contain japanese glass and parts. They are made in japan depending on the model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can get the Leupold for $1300, the Nightforce for more than $2000, and the IOR for around $1900-$2100.
</div></div>

Buy a used one, lots of good deals out there. The leupie isn't bad but the nightforce and ior are just plain better. Your 1300 leupie will not have as good of glass, knobs, reticle, features, or be built as well as a nightforce or ior, both of which can be found used for 1300-1500. Hell I just saw a really nice 3.5-15 nightforce go for 1400 used - that would've been the perfect scope for what you are doing in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between the two, IOR hands down. Guaranteed to be no Japanese or Chinese parts in an IOR. </div></div>

And glued together 3 piece tubes horrible eyerelief and if you put it on more then a 308 the zero goes all over the place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can get the Leupold for $1300, the Nightforce for more than $2000, and the IOR for around $1900-$2100.
</div></div>

Buy a used one, lots of good deals out there. The leupie isn't bad but the nightforce and ior are just plain better. Your 1300 leupie will not have as good of glass, knobs, reticle, features, or be built as well as a nightforce or ior, both of which can be found used for 1300-1500. Hell I just saw a really nice 3.5-15 nightforce go for 1400 used - that would've been the perfect scope for what you are doing in my opinion. </div></div>

I'll give you NF but IOR I think not good glass but thats where it ends.Plese show me a used NF FFP for $1500 after all thats what your trying to compare.The NF is 2k plus the IOR close the M5 leup he's getting for $1300.If I paid $700 plus more for a NF and it wasn't better I'd be pissed.

IOR has a long road ahead to prove anything to me.Look at the SH 3-18 they are on gen 4 now meaning they used us for a R&D dept for the last several years to fix shit they screwed up in the original designs.I was one of them I went through a gen 2 and a 3 and decided that was enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll give you NF but IOR I think not good glass but thats where it ends.Plese show me a used NF FFP for $1500 after all thats what your trying to compare.The NF is 2k plus the IOR close the M5 leup he's getting for $1300.If I paid $700 plus more for a NF and it wasn't better I'd be pissed.

IOR has a long road ahead to prove anything to me.Look at the SH 3-18 they are on gen 4 now meaning they used us for a R&D dept for the last several years to fix shit they screwed up in the original designs.I was one of them I went through a gen 2 and a 3 and decided that was enough. </div></div>

Yeah I hear you. I know NF is expensive but buy once, cry once really is the way to go. As far as IOR goes I'm just a recreational shooter so if it breaks I just send it in and wait a couple weeks, no biggie. Not like none of my leupolds have broken on me before.

Buying used for X price? Waiting is hard, but if you have the cash and are patient the deal you want will come up - it might be 2 months but it'll be there. I can wait like that, but others can't and I understand that. Like I said I just saw one go for 1400 - he started at 2k with a mount, and then down to 1600 and 1400$ ended up being the magic number. That was a smoking deal for the guy who got it, and like I said if you can be patient that guy can be you.

However, in the end you have to do what makes YOU happy - if the Leupie is what you want (and you want it RIGHT NOW haha), get it. If it makes you happy, great; if not, sell it and try something else. Just my thoughts on the subject.

I have 2 IOR's both on 30cals with over a thousand rounds each--a straight 10x on a dpms 308 and SH version on a rem700 in 06 that I run hot 208gr thru--both have held zero and track perfectly--contact Liberty optics

Scopes are much more likely to break and need repair than any rifle. Unless IOR now has a USA tech center and can rebuild/replace parts w/o sending them back to Romania (do you even know where that is?), think twice about what you buy.

Guys love the optic qualities of their scopes, but is a scope an optic or a sight? The super hd optic systems weigh a ton; at least 2x what a Leupold variable mk4 weighs.

Might also consider your rifle and its mount/base system. Many of the IOR designs have elongated turret housings and very long ocular and magnification ring dimensions. This means they can be very difficult to mount on a short action rifle unless you have an extended rail, like for prone target shooting. Got one of those???

Leupold really delivers in the service dept. If you want to change out turret systems or reticles, they'll do it very promptly. I sent a 16x mk4 in to have the glass-etched reticle cleaned (after 15yrs it got dirty). The scope was serviced and on its way back within 2 or 3 days.

I had 5 IOR scopes at one time and the only one I still own is an older bucuresti marked 6x. Until IOR supports the USA market in a decent fashion, I won't buy another product from them.

I like the fixed mk4 scopes for their durability and compact size, plus M3 turret system. Like the Mk4 variables for the reticle choice (SPR & TMR, plus mil-dots are great), plus the weight advantage and compact design they offer makes them superior for my applications.

Best scope optics I have owned were Zeiss Diavari. Hensoldt undoubtedly has same or better. Zeiss has a VA service dept and intelligent people that answer the phone and understand the customers who spend their money to own the best. Kind of like choosing Ferrari over Maserati because many more Ferrari dealers and mechanics around. S&B supposed to be building a USA service center...

There's two kinds of scopes, to paraphrase AO Bum Phillips, "them that's been broken and them that's gonna get broken". If you think otherwise when it comes to variable scopes used in harsh environment, better rethink your expectations...

Hello,

New to this forum. Original poster wrote:

"These are my two choices - Leupold Mark 4 10x40 Mil Dot with M1 turrets and side focus $700 - or - IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP lit MP8 reticle $675"

Where are you finding those prices. everywhere I look the IOR costs about $1200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

New to this forum. Original poster wrote:

"These are my two choices - Leupold Mark 4 10x40 Mil Dot with M1 turrets and side focus $700 - or - IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP lit MP8 reticle $675"

Where are you finding those prices. everywhere I look the IOR costs about $1200.
</div></div>
I believe they are used.

I don't know if you dropped money on a scope yet. But here is my suggestion.

Look at the retail value vs. resale value. If you start looking at scopes even on here, you'll see that Leupold Mark 4's are selling new for 1200 and are being sold for 700-800, That's a huge price cut in my opinion. Same thing with the IOR, you'll buy a SH scope for 1500 and people are selling them for 900-1000 dollars if they're lucky. Now you look at NF and people are buying them for 1500-1700 and are selling them for 1400 to 1600. That price drop isn't as bad, i can live with that. That is if they even want to part with their NF, a lot of guys won't be selling a NF because it's a very fine piece of equipment.

So That all being said. Look at the Warrante, Leupold has the better CS of the two (leupold/IOR).

Glass quality of the IOR will exceed Leupold.

So I guess it's all up to you how much money you want to loose when the sale is done. I'd suggest if you're going to buy either one of the two, buy used and the sticker shock won't be as bad. If you want to spend the extra coin on the NF then do it.

Good luck,

Deano

Im having a hard time imagining that I will be able to tell the difference between the $1300 Mark4 M5 and the more expensive IOR etc....when shooting from 0-600yrds.

Im having a custom gun built in 300winmag that I will be using to shoot from 600-1200yrds, and plan on using the Nightforce FFP scope.

I have a remington 700p in 300winmag that I plan on using for deer hunting and practice until my custom in done. Im not trying to spend $2400 on optics for my 700p.....im saving that for optics on my custom. But I would like a scope with the same general features to put on my 700p so that I can get used to ranging and doing the math. And for 1300 im finding it hard to pass on the Leupold. Maybe I just dont know any better....