• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR question. 3-18x42 vs 6-24x50 why the $ diff?

hbus1300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Missouri
I'm going to be buying a new scope and have been looking closely at the IOR line, but am confused about these two models. Why is the 3-18x42 more $ ($1549)than the 6-24x50 ($1459)? They are both SFP and are similar near as I can tell. The 3-18x42 might have a bit more adjustment, but other than that what is the difference? Logic would have that the higher magnification would cost more? Someone explained to me the 3-18 was made better, but didn't get into details. Is that the case? Thanks for any info either way.

Re: IOR question. 3-18x42 vs 6-24x50 why the $ diff?

Kinda like how I've wondered why the SS variable FFP mil/mil, is less than their fixed 10x HD mil......

So are you saying its a difference in the glass between the two iors

I'm saying I have no idea, and like you, am curious about the price difference. I just used another example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda like how I've wondered why the SS variable FFP mil/mil, is less than their fixed 10x HD mil......

</div></div>

Cause the 10x is an HD scope, the internals are built better and tougher, slightly higher quality glass. Also it has adjustable parallax. More internal travel which I am sure adds money to the design. And I am sure there are other things. Point is the 10x HD is just a higher quality scope than the 3-9xSS.

6x erector vs. 4x erector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6x erector vs. 4x erector.</div></div> That's what I was thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6x erector vs. 4x erector.</div></div> That's what I was thinking.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6x erector vs. 4x erector.</div></div> That's what I was thinking.</div></div>
So what does the different X erector do for the operator?

It's a larger range of magnification and especially gives you a smaller power on the low end. Just a bit easier to use on the close range work when you're looking for a wide FOV but still want the high end capability.

having had both, I would pick the 3-18x. It has around 70 MOA of elevation travel. The 6-24x only has 50ish

But then again, I woudl pick the 5-20x super sniper over either of them. I sold my IOR 3-18x when I got my SS 10x HD. IMO they are much better scopes than IOR.

I looked through both and ended up going with the 3-18 just because of the increased MOA travel. I thought the glass was pretty equivalent when both viewed at equal power. I have heard people talk about problems with IOR internals but never experienced any probs and have had 3 of them. For out to 800 I would definitely prefer the 3-18.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">having had both, I would pick the 3-18x. It has around 70 MOA of elevation travel. The 6-24x only has 50ish

But then again, I woudl pick the 5-20x super sniper over either of them. I sold my IOR 3-18x when I got my SS 10x HD. IMO they are much better scopes than IOR. </div></div>. That answers another question I hadn't asked yet. If you had a choice between the ior and new ss which way would you go? It seems that the regular price is basically the same.