• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR Valdada 3.5-18X50

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I am considering this scope. Is there any downfalls to it? What other scopes in that price range should I consider? It will be used to target shoot and hunt with on a Rem 700 .308. Thanks for your help in advance.

Re: IOR Valdada 3.5-18X50

Great scope! IMO one of the best scopes out, for the money I don't see anything that comes close to it. I own 2 IOR scopes, I don't understand why more people don't use them. I know the 3-18x42 had some issue's at first but those have long been corrected. Do a search and you'll find more info.

Here's a couple of issues with mine.

I purchased an IOR 3.5-18x 50 MM (gen 4 W/35mm tube) last year. A couple of issues have come to light. One is I've found the turrets will move when lightly bumped. Several times now, When I reach over the top of the scope to turn the focus adjustment (I'm left handed using a L/H bolt gun), my right hand may bump the elevation reaching over the top turret and the turret moves, losing my setting. I've also had the windage turret move when taking the rifle out of a zippered case. This has happened a number of times and is annoying. I just have to be sure to look at the turrets before firing when I take the rifle out of the case and when I make focus adjustments to check if the turret is still set at my settings. I think it's due to the design of the turrets that are mushroomed at the top with large knurling that catches on things.

The second thing I've had happen 2-3 times now is after having adjusted the turrets to another zero and tightening the 4 screws using the 2MM allen wrench, after firing a number of rounds, the turret screws become loose and I lose my zero and I have to re-tighten the turret screws. I tighten them snug, but I don't wrench on them too much for fear of stripping a screw. I just now tighten them down tight.

I sent an e mail to IOR months ago describing the issues and it just fell on deaf ears. I never heard from them.

I do like the glass. I'll try again at some time to talk to Val at IOR about it.

I've never had this issue with my Nightforce or Leupold Mark 4.

I had this scope and it was fantastic but I would go for the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 instead. I have never looked back.

Flight, thanks for the input, I have been thinking of buying one of these. I have the SFP 4-14x50 with the similar turrets, there are not quite as crisp as I would like, they certainly don't turn as inadvertently as you mentioned, I was hoping the turrets would be a little crisper, but Ilya has written the same thing before. Used a little loctite on the zero stop set screws and that seemed to cure the screws coming loose, but having to even do that seems too much. Even with those issues, I am probably still going to get one from Scott at Liberty Optics, if I am not happy with the turrets I might look at the Vortex HD as an alternative. I do really like MP8 dot and the glass quality, appreciate what you posted.

I thought about the Vortex Razor but the freaking knobs are like 10 feet tall. I love the low profile IOR/USO type knobs!