• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR-Valdada 4-28x50 Recon Tactical Scope Review

buffybuster

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2007
Ventura Cty, CA
4-28x50 40mm RECON Tactical FFP, Mil/Mil, Xtreme X1 illum. Reticle Review.

I am not affiliated or employed by IOR, Valdada or US distributor in any way shape or form. I have not been compensated, reimbursed or have any financial or material gain in the product nor company. I am not a professional writer or shooter. But I have been an active shooter and competitor for many years. These are my personal observations and experiences with this product. YMMV.

Over the last few years I have seen a few of the IOR scopes around, predominately the 3-18x42FFP scope and I have heard about the durability issues of those units in the various generations. So for he most part, I let others be the early adopters and Beta testers. However I spoke with Val at IOR-Valdada last Summer and he mentioned they had a new scope the 4-28x50 Recon Tactical FFP, Mil/Mil scope. Sounding very tacticool. Long story short, I decided to try it and the CC came out…..

I’ve had it for a few months but hadn’t really had a chance to sort it out, but I finally got down to do some testing.

The scope particulars:

Magnification: 4-28 stated in literature, unverified
Tube Diameter: 40mm
Objective Lens Diameter: 50mm
Reticle: Xtreme X1 (Modified MP-8)
Reticle Illumination: Center Dot Only
Adjustments: 0.1Mil/0.1Mil (10mil/turn elevation)
Length: 14”
Sunshade: 3.5” included
Ocular Adjustment: Fast Focus
Zero Stop: Yes, adjustable collar with setscrew
Resettable Knobs: Yes, Elevation and Windage, 4 grub screws
Secondary Zero Indicator: Elevation Only with setscrew
Parallax Control: Front Ring adjustment
Weight: 39 ounces without rings or sunshade

Optics:
The Ocular Adjustment is the fast focus type and was easy to get adjusted to my vision. I won’t go into clarity a great deal, as that can vary from user to user, but these are my observations. The scope is very clear up to about 25X with sharp contrast and no noticeable chromatic aberration. It does tunnel a bit from about 7x and below, but since I don’t use it in the low range, wasn’t an issue for me.

I compared this scope to: USO 3-17x44ERGO, Kahles 5-25x56, Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical.

IOR vs USO 3-17x44ERGO: the clarity and contrast was a toss up with a slight edge going to the USO during overcast conditions. In sunlight, there was no difference.

IOR vs Kahles 5-25x56: the clarity was again a toss up. However the IOR had better contrast. My particular Kahles might be a Gen1 and has great resolution but doesn’t have quite the contrast of some other scopes.

IOR vs Bushnell Elite 6-24x50: the IOR was noticeable clearer and had significantly better contrast. The Bushnell is certainly useable but not in the same class, but not in the same price range neither.

Regarding clarity, I have astigmatism so I am most likely the limiting factor.

Mechanics:
Knobs: The IOR has 10 mil per turn elevation knobs, with a zero stop collar and secondary zero indicator. The knob is very large with distinct clicks and space between the clicks. I had 20mils of elevaton travel from my Zero, so far more than I will ever need. The knobs are reset with 4 setscews, which isn’t my favorite but they work. The zerostop is a collar on the outside of the elevation knob. You loosen the collar setscrew and turn it down, while holding the main elevation knob. When it’s set, you lock the setscrew. The knobs worked fine but to my feel the clicks were a little too light, meaning the knob turned easier than I would have liked. The knob is huge but the clicks felt a bit delicate. That’s only my opinion and you might like them just fine. There is also a secondary zero indicator for the elevation knob, which can be set for another distance or whatever then locked with a setscrew. I never used it but might come in handy for something. Both elevation and windage knobs have travel hashmarks but no tactile indicator for the second revolution (ala Kahles red pop up).

I was able to do a tracking test with the four scopes, all mounted to the same rifle.

Rifle: AIAE MKIII with 20moa canted base

Tracking Test Methodology: From zero, shoot one shot going up 2mils each time, up to 8mils (limit of paper), go down 2mils each time down to zero, go up 8mils, down to zero, up 8mils, down to zero.

Tracking Results:

IOR:
All adjustments repeatable.
Adjustment Error: 2.4 % High (Dialing 8mils gave 29.5”@100yds instead of 28.8”)

USO:
All adjustments repeatable
Adjustment Error: 0.18% Low (Dialing 8mils gave 28.75” @100yds)

Kahles:
All adjustments repeatable
Adjustment Error: 1.6% High (Dialing 8mils gave 29.25”@100yds)

Bushnell:
Threw one shot wide at 4mils and 6mils, otherwise repeatable. Don’t know if it was ammo, shooter or scope related.
Adjustment Error: 5.0% High (Dialing 8mils gave 30.25”@100yds)

The tracking champion is obviously the USO with essentially perfect tracking. Whether 2.4% or 1.6% error is big enough to worry about; I’ll put it this way: dialing 10mils will put you about 0.2mils high. You have to determine if that’s too much. The Bushnell will put you 0.5mils high…… that is too much for me. But they all repeat, so you can make your own DOPE cards. The sample size is of course too small to make any blanket statement. These tracking errors are to these units only.

The reticle is called the Xtreme X1 is essentially a modified MP-8 with Christmas tree every 5 mils. It is noticeable thicker than the Kahles reticle and a center floating dot what looks like a 0.1mil. It works well. My personal favorite reticle is the USO-MPR.

Misc:
The parallax control is on the front ring, but the objective lenses does not turn. The elevation knob has a pronounced nub for easier turning. The reticle illumination is nearly worthless to me. Only the center dot illuminates, not bright enough to be used during daylight. 40mm rings and bubble level are going to be harder to locate.

The Lukewarm:
Not crazy about the setscrew knob reset.
Clicks too light for my taste
40mm tube limits choices
Illuminated dot reticle (Entire reticle would be BETTER)
2.4% tracking error. USO can get it right, why not IOR? At least it's repeatable, so can be compensated.

The BAD:
The scope appears to not be hard anodized but instead looks painted a matte black. Out of the box it looks great, but the finish easily wears and shows scuffs. I don’t abuse my gear but I don’t baby it either and the finish already looks worn, without any matches. I’m guessing rings marks are a guarantee. This scope deserves to be hard anodized.

It’s a HEAVY pig. The saddle is a huge rectangular block. They didn’t try to take any weight out of it. Must be getting paid by the kilo.

That is about it.

Attachments

• HS DBM 004.jpg
    HS DBM 004.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • HS DBM 005.jpg
    HS DBM 005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • HS DBM 006.jpg
    HS DBM 006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • HS DBM 007.jpg
    HS DBM 007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • HS DBM 008.jpg
    HS DBM 008.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I finally got my hands on this scope the other day and I must admit that it totally exceeded my expectations. I was a big fan of the 3.5-18x tactical but the RECON is no doubt the best scope IOR's ever made. They definitely seem to have taken into account suggestions that have previously expressed by many shooters.
I am a sucker for quality optics and this is where this scope shifts into a higher gear compare with all the other models. It's got really sharp optics and when testing it during the evening it showed a magnificent light transmission. The best thing about it is the feeling of a floating reticle. You simply barely see you have a scope in front of your eyes.

I don't see the weight as beeing an issue as it's not particularly heavier than the competitors scopes. At 39 oz it's actually much lighter than scopes such as Razor 4-27x56, 3-18x50 and just as heavy as the BEAST despite a larger magnification and 40mm tube. Even in this area, IOR's gotten better. They downsized the scope and transformed it into a perfect piece.

Very distinct clicks on the turrets! Really nice!

It's gonna be fun trying to put it to work.

Last edited:
I finally got my hands on this scope the other day and I must admit that it totally exceeded my expectations. I was a big fan of the 3.5-18x tactical but the RECON is no doubt the best scope IOR's ever made. They definitely seem to have taken into account suggestions that have previously expressed by many shooters.
I am a sucker for quality optics and this is where this scope shifts into a higher gear compare with all the other models. It's got really sharp optics and when testing it during the evening it showed and magnificent light transmission. The best thing about it is the feeling of a floating reticle. You simply barely see you have a scope in front of your eyes.

I don't see the weight as beeing an issue as it's not particularly heavier than the competitors scopes. At 39 oz it's actually much lighter than scopes such as Razor 4-27x56, 3-18x50 and just as heavy as the BEAST despite a larger magnification and 40mm tube. Even in this area, IOR's gotten better. They downsized the scope and transformed it into a perfect piece.

Very distinct clicks on the turrets! Really nice!

It's gonna be fun trying to put it to work.

Keep us in the loop. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

I am a bit surprised on the "2.4%" error thing as the new exposed turrets introduced in late 2007 have always had spot-on tracking. You are talking 0.7" from expected POI to actual POI, but could not other variables account for this error?

It certainly looks like you tried to be fair in your evaluation. These calculations assume you have 0% shooter error? We are always happy to have people test our scopes but what I take away from this is that with a given shooter's ability, the IOR appears to fall generally within the same % of error as other scopes of similar price. Not bashing your shooting ability but the results of this test are completely dependent on your ability to shoot perfectly along with other factors. I have not personally ever seen the mechanical error in any of my IOR scopes be that high but I won't say it couldn't happen.

The 40mm scopes are specifically designed for larger caliber rifles. The larger tube is designed to have the strength needed to minimize flex under heavy recoil. Yes it is heavy but on a 20-30lb rifle it isn't noticeable. We offer two different types of rings in 40mm so that isn't an issue. I will see what I can do to get a scope level worked up in 40mm as having a level on your scope is something I preach to all my students. We get alot of request from people for scopes to be "tested". Unfortunately when you factor in the variables of the ammunition, shooter, rifle, and weather it becomes very difficult for anyone to achieve results that can be considered accurate to within 1%-2%. I am not taking issue with this gentleman's attempt to test our scope and not saying his results couldn't be accurate. What I am saying is that achieving results that are accurate to within 1%-2% is very difficult regardless of the brand of scope being tested.

It is also a good idea to always test the calibration of the reticle. I have found those to be perfect on the IOR's. I learned that lesson several years ago when I bought one of the early Bushnell HDMR's w/H59 and found when I held using the reticle I missed 100% of the time. Bushnell admitted it was bad and replaced it with a new one that I immediately sold and that was when I switched to shooting IOR's in the PRS matches.

Overall it looks like you did your best to achieve fair and accurate results. The fact that those results don't mirror my experience with 10 different IOR scopes doesn't mean they aren't accurate. We appreciate your purchase of our product and anticipate you will get many years of dependable use from it. Our scopes have a limited lifetime warranty, if you ever need anything please contact myself or Val.

Thanks

Grab yardstick stick it in the ground, put your scope on a sturdy and level platform and track it with well marked yardstick, you can get better results.
You know it doesn't involve internal or external ballistics. But hey if you handloads, weather and skill is that good to measure error.