• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR vs Nightforce

digit

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2008
New Zealand
I have been offered a new IOR 3-18 FFP at a very good price. This price is $600 cheaper than a new 5.5-22 Nightforce. Would this be a good buy comparitive to the NF for the purpose of medium to long range hunting and a bit of F class. Hunting ranges would be 500 to 900.

I have researched the 2 scopes on various forums. I understand that the general consensus is the IOR has superior optics and the advantages of FFP mil/mil. The NF has better mechanics and is potentialy tougher in the field. I would appreciate opinions from those that have not only owned both scopes but have actually shot at these distances with these scopes.

What would you choose in my position if the NF was pushing beyond the limit of my affordability?

Re: IOR vs Nightforce

You pretty much have the facts you just need to decide what is more important.Another consideration is the rear tube on the IOR is very short and limits its adjustment range.Couple that with a shorter eye relief and you can run into problems getting proper eye relief.

if it is a really good deal on the ior you could always buy it and if you don't like it sell it on here quickly if the price is right.

Mounting the IOR with its short occular end tube section isnt an issue.

Would you say in your experience that the NF is actually more accurate mechanically? If so by what margin have you experienced this?

If you're doing F-Class you may feel the center dot it a tad large. Personally I LOVED that reticle but its probably not the best for F-class. For tactical stuff and hunting and what not its quite good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Digit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mounting the IOR with its short occular end tube section isnt an issue.</div></div>

Maybe not for you, but it has been a major problem for others.

Some mounted both rings forward of the turrets.

Others bought special bases that extend rearward, which didn't exist yet! They had to design and have someone build it:
http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_128&products_id=247

Realiability is job one. Of about 8 guys I know with IOR's (myself included) all except one have had them go down.

If money is an issue, look for a used NF 3.5-15 and be happy. You won't regret it.

If I had the choice of an IOR or a 30mm petrified dog turd with a .250" hole drilled down the middle I'd pick the dog turd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had the choice of an IOR or a 30mm petrified dog turd with a .250" hole drilled down the middle I'd pick the dog turd. </div></div>

Ouch. Tell us how you really feel...

-pd

I have a number of IOR scopes, as well as NF and S$B. The IOR glass is better than the NF. However, I don't think the IOR is as robust. I had to send mine back to the factory becuse the paint was flaking off the inside of the tube and getting all over the lenses. IOR's service was outstanding and I had a replacement scope in less than 7 days. The new scope has not had any problems, and I have used it at a match, and have shot about 600 rounds under it so far. I have never had a problem with my NF or S$B scopes.

The IOR does have a very good reticle design for a tactical scope. I only wish that it was illuminated. NF reticals are a little thin for my tastes. I don't see any diference in tracking accuracy with the NF or IOR. They both track quite well. The IOR has solid audible clicks, and was easy to zero and reset the knobs. I think for the money the IOR is a pretty decent scope. I will not likely buy another though. Frankly, now that I own two S$B's I'm pretty much a glass snob, and other scopes just don't do it for me. I know their very expensive but when you shoot it, you'll know where the money went! Save your pennies and get a S$B. You will not be disapointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a number of IOR scopes, as well as NF and S$B. The IOR glass is better than the NF. However, I don't think the IOR is as robust. I had to send mine back to the factory becuse the paint was flaking off the inside of the tube and getting all over the lenses. IOR's service was outstanding and I had a replacement scope in less than 7 days. The new scope has not had any problems, and I have used it at a match, and have shot about 600 rounds under it so far. I have never had a problem with my NF or S$B scopes.

The IOR does have a very good reticle design for a tactical scope. I only wish that it was illuminated. NF reticals are a little thin for my tastes. I don't see any diference in tracking accuracy with the NF or IOR. They both track quite well. The IOR has solid audible clicks, and was easy to zero and reset the knobs. I think for the money the IOR is a pretty decent scope. I will not likely buy another though. Frankly, now that I own two S$B's I'm pretty much a glass snob, and other scopes just don't do it for me. I know their very expensive but when you shoot it, you'll know where the money went! Save your pennies and get a S$B. You will not be disapointed. </div></div>

Thank you. This was the reply I was looking for not the heresay from the others above.

Also if you're going to be depending on it you should find out what run of IOR that is... My scope from the first batch of them was pretty weak... I broke it in a couple hundred rounds of 308.. But then again some guys still have their first run scopes and they're going strong.

I got my money back from the IOR and ended up putting a bunch more with it and bought a S&B. I remember feeling like I'd spent WAYYY too much money when I bought it. But now when I shoot that rifle I just like what I see and don't even think about how much I spent. Hell honestly when I look back on it now I spent $2600 for my PMII DT P4F 5-25X56mm. You go look for that scope now and its going to be well over 3 grand. So honestly I could probably turn around and sell it for every nickel that I put into it right now.

I should also state that every experience that I've had with Nightforce has been very good. You know that NF does make a FFP mil/mil option... Not sure where that scope falls as far as price point but I'd be at a bit of a loss on this one as I REALLY like FFP and I'm not so sure I'd want to go w/o that feature. Between the two you're looking at I think the IOR might win out cause FFP and matching the knobs to the reticle is very important to me.

I'm with NineH And RKsimple on this issue.

If I gotta spend close to $1500 on a scope it better work all the time every time.Like my Nightforce!

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had the choice of an IOR or a 30mm petrified dog turd with a .250" hole drilled down the middle I'd pick the dog turd.</div></div>

+1. Perfectly stated.

Digit, if you want someone to confirm your decision to save a few nickels by buying the IOR, there is always someone out there that will agree with you.

If IOR were really as good or better than USO, S&B, Nightforce, and Premier, for in some cases a few less $$ and in others a lot less $$, then all these companies except IOR would be out of business.