• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IOR?

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I know IOR Valdada scopes have been hit or miss in the past, how are the current options? How are the Recon and Patriots, at least compared with other optics in a similar price range? Has customer service improved?

My experience with them has been epic glass, unobtainium serivce, great turrets, goofy feature combinations and goofier missing features at a price that makes S&B a solid contender. If you're spending that much, Steiner or S&B or NF ATACR would be where I'd turn.

Reactions: ken226
I know IOR Valdada scopes have been hit or miss in the past, how are the current options? How are the Recon and Patriots, at least compared with other optics in a similar price range? Has customer service improved?

What about IOR draws you to their scopes? There are so many solid optics out there. Why IOR?

What about IOR draws you to their scopes? There are so many solid optics out there. Why IOR?

Glutton for punishment??

I actually have one of their older 4-14s that's been solid, and I've always been impressed with the glass. Currently, I'm looking at one of the Patriot 9-36x's, and seems to be a somewhat decent deal for $1800 NIB.

I wonder about a scope company that comes out with new models but could never manage to deliver any the prior model and couldn't manage to return the prior models that went in for repair even after 3-5 years. Maybe in 20 years they're figure out how to unass their heads and get right like Leupold did but I wouldn't count on it any more than I'd count on purple monkeys flying out of Theis' ass.

Edit, the SH app on my phone is crap.
Man, there are some passionate haters on this website... I would take with a grain of salt all the negative comments.
My personal experience with IOR has been nothing but positive. I owned several IOR scopes through the last 15 years and bought them all from the factory in Romania, bur never had to send back a scope to the factory for service. I wouldn't comment on the Valdada service experience either, since I never needed it and never interacted with them.
I will only speak to my experience owning these scopes throughout the years.
The glass is made by Schott Germany and it is fantastic, the turrets are well made and mechanics are solid, some of the best clicks in the industry on a scope other than S&B. I currently own a 4-28×50 and a 5.8-40×56, both in MRAD, I also have the new 5-40×56 on order. I love the fine Christmas tree reticles with the dot in the middle.
For what I use these scopes for, they work great. I recently (3 years ago) got into competitive shooting and have tested everything from NF, Leica, March and IOR, but for these long range matches I keep coming back to IOR. They track solid and I have not had issues.
Do your homework, go find a dealer and take a look at the scope you want. If you like it buy it.
These scopes are built like a tank, but also weigh like a tank, which means that they are ideal for static bench or prone shooting applications, rather than carrying the gun on your back for a week on an elk hunt.
just my two cents.

Last edited: