• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report iphone ballistics calculator

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
I can't seem to get this to come up in a search, but what is the best iphone ballistics app? I have an Android based phone and use Shooter, but my buddy needs a program for the iphone. Thanks.

Re: iphone ballistics calculator

Another vote for BulletFlight.

JBM FTE if using density altitude, Bullet Flight M if using station pressure/ local weather, and I have iStrelok on as well for the reticle holdover capabilities. All three run within a tenth of each other for my stuff when the input is right.

I was just going over data and field conditions from my notes from the OTS Battle in the Canyons last August.
Bulletflight tells me I need 1/2 mil more than my confirmed field data at 1K with my 6XC, JBM FTE and iStrelok are dead on.

For density altitude on iStrelok I just put the DA in as the altitude and checked the box that says "use standard temp and pressure at this altitude?".

Thanks sobrbiker883. I will pass that information along.

As I know this will be mainly used for hunting applications and 1/4" adjustment scopes, does BulletFlight output data for 1/4" adjustments? It says inches on their website, but inches and 1/4" adjustments I don't think are going to be the same.

Thanks for the help.

JBM FTE will output in IPHY (what you need). Bullet flight gives you inches of drop which you need to convert to what amount of dialing depending on range. (60 inches of drop at 500=60/5=12 IPHY=48 1/4" clicks)

Bullet Flight also only lets you set its output for all guns stored, whereas FTE lets you selct the output of each "favorite" you store. So if you may have rifles with different setups (I have a few moa scopes in the inventory still) they can all be there at the touch of a finger.
iStrelok lets you save 3 rifles' loads and will output in mils or moa or IPHY seperately for each.

IPHY=inches per hundred yards (1/4" adjustments) and is 5% roughly less than true MOA adjustment.

iStrelok gives you one distance's data at a time or picture of reticle holds from a particular zero, and FTE gives you esaveable printable ballistics tables, a swipable HUD calculator and has rangelogs, location saving, emailable results, etc, etc.

If I were getting just one FTE is all I'd run.

I just found istrolek the other day and really like it for the hold over reticle feature. My question is, if Im using density altitude , are you sure I use the "set standard pressure/temp for this altitude" feature? I would think I use 59F and 29.921inHg because I think density altitude standardizes to standard IOCO (or whatever the abbrev. is) conditions and those are it.

I have bought the Knight's BulletFlight L2 and "Ballistic" for my Ipod, using the same data, both are with in 1/2 MOA or less out past 1000y when the data is matched to my spread sheet.
But, if i was going to buy another for the Ipod / IPhone, it would be "Ballistic FTE"
By the same people that bring you the Gold Standard of ballistics.. JBM
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
For the cash, it has a lot more features then BulletFlight.. Just make sure to get the FTE version, the cheaper version isn't as useful with out "HUD display"

As I just posted in another thread, I've been using iSnipe on my iPhone for over 2 years. No complaints, it's been super accurate. Cheap too (under $10). Excellent value IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just going over data and field conditions from my notes from the OTS Battle in the Canyons last August.
Bulletflight tells me I need 1/2 mil more than my confirmed field data at 1K with my 6XC, JBM FTE and iStrelok are dead on.

For density altitude on iStrelok I just put the DA in as the altitude and checked the box that says "use standard temp and pressure at this altitude?". </div></div>
Sobr, thanks for the tip on iStrelok. However regarding Bullet Flight - it served me spot-on with 308 Win up to 900m (didn't have a chance to try it further out). No offense meant, but I suspect the driver (for it seems unlikely to me that a program that brings one in correctly with a ballistically inferior round would make 0.5mRad error on a superior round only 100m further away).

FTE is good - just make sure you reverse the wind input when you use it.

I too use Bullet Flight but have also been using Mil-Dot Ballsitics by Tom Holsten. Very happy with this app and he is always updating it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ex0nxi65Gu0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ex0nxi65Gu0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Terry

Shooter is also now available on iPhone.

Good work, Sean! Now I'm out of another $10.
smile.gif

Oh, and a feature request: it would be nice if Shooter would also tell me my Point Blank Range for the given zero setting (mark it somehow in the Table).

Thanks for a great product!