• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

iPhone vs. Droid

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
I'll just crack a can of worms before I head home for the weekend...

We're looking at getting new phones. Our contract is up with AT&T - finally - and Verizon is tempting us with the good reception we would get at our house. I love the apps and accessories for the iPhone, but I haven't seen as much about the Droid.

If you have one of the phones, have used one extensively, or have had both - what are some of the good and bad parts of each? Right now I'm looking at this:
iPhone good - tons of apps (free ones too), a lot of accessories, fast 3Gs network, always connected to the web, I already use iTunes.
iPhone bad - don't get good 3G reception where we live, always connected to the web, full coverage insurance not available, have to use AT&T - the money grubbing bastards.

Droid good - seems to have better battery life, has a slide-out qwerty keyboard, OS created by Google - so you know there will be new stuff all the time, potentially full-coverage insurance, Verizon has better reception where we live, and it's less expensive by about $40/month for us.
Droid bad - not as many accessory options (cases, belt clips, protectors, etc), not as many apps created, OS created by Google - so it probably will know everything about me in less than a week (big brother and all that
wink.gif
), and it's somewhat bulkier due to the slide-out keyboard.

So what do you all think?

Re: iPhone vs. Droid

Tag I'm looking at the same choice.

Currently have I phone but ATT and their coverage is pissing me off. Only real thing that I can say Iphone has going for it above the others is Ballistic FTE app.

Played with a Droid Wednesday, the owner said one negative was it seemed that it was meant to be used with a bluetooth headset. When used like a regular phone, your face often hits the touchscreen, hanging up on people. There may be a way to fix this, but if you don't like the headsets then I'd make sure first.

The iPhone is a great gadget, IMO. But if you want something other than that look elsewhere. The Droids are relatively new to the market so the vast variety and numbers of apps available is still quite small. For device information I go to PDAPhoneHome.com and use their forum. Tips and tricks along with feedback both good and bad. Regardless of device or carrier you can find a lot of info there in the forum. They also have a store where you can set your device and when browsing apps, it'll filter compatability. I still always double check, but it's pretty reliable.

I was due for my NE2 with Verizon this summer. My previous was pretty beat up and it was time for an upgrade. I really wanted the Omnia2 but delays on it's US release as well as other devices that were coming out from Samsung that were not intended for the US market had me looking for something else that would fit my needs and wants. I ended up with the TouchPro2. Personally I prefer Windows Mobile as it's faster than the Blackeberry OS. I got the touch screen navigation as well as the slide out keyboard. Touchscreen typing just doesn't work so well with my relatively large fingers and so the keyboard was a must for me.

Not gonna try and sell you on anything, except maybe taking a look at that site. There is good AND bad with any carrier (every actually). Finding a carrier that stocks the device you want narrows the choices down sometimes as not all carriers carry all the same models as their competition. I'm locked into my TP2 for the next 20 months before my next upgrade. My only two gripes about it are that the phone doesn't have a flash (I used that as an emergency flashlight on my last phone) and the screen "sleep" button should be mounted on the upper right corner of the device rather than the upper left. I think I'll survive until my next upgrade.

Good Luck.

I just left AT&T yesterday. I had the iphone and with 5 phones on the plan we changed services. I have the droid and the jury is still out. I like the direct link to NFL football live...

I've considered just getting an iPod touch, since they use the same OS and are able to do everything the iPhone can, except surf the web via 3G (they <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> have WiFi) and GPS stuff. If I end up with some other smartphone, I'll probably get a touch sometime after that just for all the apps available. I'll check out PDAPhoneHome for sure, and check out the HTC (whatever that is - not current on tech stuff) as well.

If anyone else has an opinion (ha!) I'd like to hear it as well. Thanks for the help so far guys.

I have an iPhone and hope that when my contract with AT&T is done, I can bring it over to Verizon. I've been hearing for months that AT&T is losing the exclusive provider contract sometime soon. AT&T's service stinks, but I love the functionality of the iPhone. My insurance worries were forgotten when I got the Otterbox.

I have the HTC ERIS Droid, it has some deal set up so that when your talking on it as a phone...the screen turns off so your face doesnt hang up on people. Oh, and it was FREE online since I was due on my New Every Two. Always on internet, Voice Google Search, AutoUpdate weather while you travel, turn by turn navigation, 5mp digital camera, 8GB MicroSD for making huge movies or loading boat loads of music. (upgradable to 16gb)...I cant think of very much it wont do. And more and more free apps will be coming out every week. The google deal is great too, you know they will be updating all kinds of new toys.
The Motorola Droid was way to bulky for me. Heavy as a brick and i dont like flip out keyboards. AT&T says 3G this and 3G that but in reality, their coverage is complete horse shit. You might get fast speed when you're in their coverage area, but 90% of the US isn't even covered.
I was interested in the iPhone like everyone else when it came out..but for being WAY overpriced (as well as not even offered in South Dakota) It's just a waste of cash.
I would compare the Droid to taking your .50 Barrett on a 15mile antelope hunt. You might be able to bring down the beast, but its not worth the hassle.
Personally, I'd go with the HTC ERIS Droid or wait for the Motorola Droid to lose some weight.
In my area...this alone settles the debate between iPhone and ANYTHING Verizon.

OH YEAH, and cheap extended warrenty, or cheap FULL COVERAGE insurance is available for the Droid or ERIS
att_verizon_3g_coverage.jpg

I never had the iPhone so I cannot compare.
AT&T has pissed me off too many times over the years and Verizon has done pretty well for me. That alone was the greatest reason I went with Droid.

The screen does not flip open, it slides out.
The KB is alright, but not exceptional. You can still use the soft-keyboard(on-screen) if you don't like it.

This biggest pluses are the removeable battery and memory card if you ask me. It comes with a 16Gig card and 32Gig cards are available. The phone works very well for me. I have never had a hangup because my face touched the screen......there is a proximity sensor on the face that turns off the display when you hold it to your ear. I really like the home docking station and the alarm function.....it replaced my last alarm clock and it makes a great one at that.

Worst thing so far is the battery cover. It comes off rather easily and when I was carrying it in my pocket I sometimes slid the cover to the unlocked position just putting my hand in my pocket. I now carry it in a Nite-Ize belt case and have not had that problem since. The mapping/nav is great so far......even has street view that shows you the direction you are facing via the built-in compass. Terrain mapping was just added to the free mapping app.

The display is spectacular at 854x480 pixels. I have put my movies on it at the full 854x480 and the display is amazing.

E-mail works well for me but I am just using forwarding from my existing accounts. Not yet using Exchange. I run Companionlink USB to keep my work calendar on it. CL needs improvement past the current Beta version but they have my wants in the works for future improvements, based on the website.

I like it and plan to keep it at least until my renew-for-2 comes up in November 2010'.

Motorola, what a sad story.
The same story of many US companies that used to drive innovation, and now are shitted-over by Asian counterparts.
Companies that became refuge for a bunch of clueless, ass kissing, bureaucratic weasels, and where the innovation driving minds had been forced out or put in a corner.
This was one of the reason I was strongly against any form of government bailout. These companies have to DIE, in order to reborn with the correct foundations.

anyone else, I am in the market for a new phone. I am leaving Nextel, although I love the service. The extended my 2 year contract after repeated calls, and being tole NO repeatedly. Some little phone person went into the computer and did it anyway. I cant prove I said no. Anyway I am looking at going to Veizon as my area is completely covered. I am trying to figure out which phone to go with, cant be Iphone, AT&T SUCKS BALLS in my area. Suggestions are welcome. was looking at droid so I could get some ballistic software on a phone.

Mike

I like my Ipod touch and wanted an Iphone... At&T kills the deal..will never use them.. terrible service by everyone I talk with..

I have been a Verizon user for a long time, and satisfied. The Droid came out and I got one.. it does just about everything the Ifone, is easy to use.. just waiting on the apps we all like..:) It is definitely a competitor to an ifone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Verizon is pretty bold taking the AT&T map and inverting the colors to change the coverage. AT&T's ACTUAL coverage is the 'white' area of the map, not the 'blue'. More accurately would be the blue is where the coverage is lost.

Outside of the bs, Panty 6 finally gave up her Curve, and got a LG Xenon, and an iPod Touch. I think she's about over the withdrawls, but it may take a few more days to really see...
Me, I dig the Droid, but have to wonder about the ad's reality. I can't see a phone downloading that kind of graphic heavy dope that fast

I've got an iphone and like it, nearly as much time on the www on it as on the desktop. Apps are good, and I'm happier with AT&T in my area than I was with Verizon.
BTW, if you look at the blue area in the center of Washington state, where supposedly AT&T has no coverage- that's where I live, and I call my hunting partner while we're out hunting to see which way he went. Out in BFE, with no problems, so I don't think the Verizon slam on AT&T's coverage is accurate.

1911fan

I bought a Iphone a couple weeks ago. Brought it home and I had NO SERVICE. Boxed it up and carried it back to the AT&T store.

No complaints, I guess they were used to it. But it did take almost a week to get my money refunded back to my account.

Talking to the Verizon people, generally they don't know when or if they will get the Iphone. One rep did tell me maybe around Feburary. But we'll see.

I did look at the Droid. The keys on the keyboard are very small. Even smaller than the ones on a Blackberry.

The monthly rate was about $25 more with Verizon as was AT&T. My rate with AT&T was around $70 a month. Verizon was close to $95 a month.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Verizon is pretty bold taking the AT&T map and inverting the colors to change the coverage. AT&T's ACTUAL coverage is the 'white' area of the map, not the 'blue'. More accurately would be the blue is where the coverage is lost.

</div></div>
You sure? For me, the closest <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">3G</span></span> service from AT&T is Evansville IN or Nashville TN, just like it shows on the map. AT&T's got some fairly good coverage in my area , but 3G it ain't ...

Spazz, I haven't used either phone, but I changed from being a 17-year AT&T customer to Verizon about a year ago, and IMO the coverage is a heck of a lot better. That, plus AT&T left us hanging with no service for 6 days after the big Midwest ice storm (no backup generators at their sites) and Verizon never missed a beat...

I have an ipod touch and have several friends with the iphone. That being said, all my friends with the iphone are waiting to be able to switch to something else or already have. There are a crap ton of apps available but in all honesty, I only use a couple that I could easily survive without. It doesn't help any that ATT is just an odd service that seems to be sketchy at best and sounds funny when in good service. I understand that not every service will work everywhere but I'm talking about the entire Portland metro area. I hate having to talk to any friend using ATT service cause I can barely understand them.

I have not personally used a Droid as my own but have played with a couple and they seem decent. Friends who have them seem to like them. Honestly, I'd love to have a full touch screen as well as a normal keyboard like it does.

With all that being said I am a Blackberry fan. The Blackberry does what I want it to do better than any other phone I've ever used. Currently using a 9630 Tour with Sprint and couldn't be happier. If I had my choice of any phone available right now without worrying about reception issues or price I do believe the Tour would still be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Wrong. The blue is ATT true 3G coverage. They have coverage in a wider area than just that, but not 3G.

ATT sucks. I live 15 miles from the center of downtown, and get zero reception when at home. It's a great excuse for work to not take calls after hours, but it sure shoots the idea of skipping out early and answering calls from home down.

Was in Dothan, Alabama over the Christmas holidays. My sister and her husband did not have reception for their IPhones sitting in the den at my parents house. My Verizon Blackberry had reception. Last year I was in LaVeta, Colorado. Had coverage in the middle of no where with my Blackberry. Would love to get a IPhone. Just don't want to deal with AT&T.

I've had a Droid for about 3 weeks so far its spot on.Im looking for something to complain about but have yet to find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Played with a Droid Wednesday, the owner said one negative was it seemed that it was meant to be used with a bluetooth headset. When used like a regular phone, your face often hits the touchscreen, hanging up on people. There may be a way to fix this, but if you don't like the headsets then I'd make sure first. </div></div>

I have a Droid and have owned it since mid November. This has never happened to me once.

The phone disables the screen while you are on a call, if you remove it from your face, by several inches, it reactivates the screen. His phone must be defective as this is a non issue for me.

BTW, I love the Droid, tons of free apps and growing daily. There are ballistics apps also, but I havent tried them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Played with a Droid Wednesday, the owner said one negative was it seemed that it was meant to be used with a bluetooth headset. When used like a regular phone, your face often hits the touchscreen, hanging up on people. There may be a way to fix this, but if you don't like the headsets then I'd make sure first. </div></div>

I have a Droid and have owned it since mid November. This has never happened to me once.

The phone disables the screen while you are on a call, if you remove it from your face, by several inches, it reactivates the screen. His phone must be defective as this is a non issue for me.

BTW, I love the Droid, tons of free apps and growing daily. There are ballistics apps also, but I havent tried them. </div></div>

Dont see how this happens when you put it up to your ear the screen blacks out just to avoid this.

Nothing can compare to the iPhone. now service is another story. when it comes to the device itself, the iPhone has no equal.

AT&T is spending Millions on cell sites to get better coverage. It's just not soon enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762-4-U</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing can compare to the iPhone. now service is another story. when it comes to the device itself, the iPhone has no equal.

AT&T is spending Millions on cell sites to get better coverage. It's just not soon enough. </div></div>

Millions across the whole country doesn't get you very many towers.

...Walmart's "straight talk" get's you onto the vorizon net @ $50 a month for unlimmited everything you can do with a cell phone...no contract...

We borrowed my office's MiFi 2200 last week and got very good download speeds at our house. Then when we found out on Friday I can get a discount on billing and equipment because I'm a Commonwealth of KY employee. Those facts, coupled with Verizon having Droids buy one get one free online made us order a pair of them Friday. I'm expecting them FedEx today, so if anyone's still concerned I'll let you know how the Droid does in semi-rural KY. I figure we have 30 days to crawl back to AT&T if we absolutely hate the Droid (yeah, right - my wife already has a list of about 15 apps she's downloading). More info to come.

I love the Iphone, I thnk it's what all other cell phones want to be, but ATT sucks, there service area leaves alot to be desired.

I have an iPhone, and the blue is definitely where 3g coverage is. Beyond that, I'm pleased with coverage, there are a couple spots in the middle of no where that bars disappear predictably, but in general I always have service. I think people slam on AT&T without experience sometimes.

I have about 10 years' worth of experience for slamming AT&T. It's been a lot more convenient to have AT&T because basically everyone I know has AT&T (actually, almost everyone had Cingular until it became AT&T). Now, my calls head to voicemail more times than not, even when I have a full signal (usually Edge, not 3G btw). Hopefully Verizon will be better to us.

I must admit that I have no recent experience with AT&T.

My grudge with them is a very old one....
Constant billing disputes, poor service, annoying telemarketing calls trying to sell me service I already had. It has nothing at all to do with how good or bad they are currently.....but the grudge is too strong to let it go. These companies need to remember that customers really do have long-term memory. The fact that Verizon coverage in my area is as good as it gets means I don't need to make another choice.

I have been pleased with Verizon, in every way.

I have had about 6 cell companies in 10 years. Started with pac bell, they switched to cingular so I dropped them, got att and loved them here, they got service EVERYWHERE! They switched to cingular, so I dropped them. Went to Verizon, kept it for 15 months, and PAID to drop them, and ended up getting alltel. Alltel has been great, I used to get reception off of both att and verizon towers. I got reception in NW Nevada, nobody gets reception there, not even a fucking satelitte phone. I would look in to alltel if its around you, I have a blackberry flip and love it, would like to try the storm though. They have tons of apps for them, no ballastic ones that I know of but I am not a phone tec guru, so take it for what its worth on the ballastic apps. The one great thing about blackberries is the support behind them is phenominal, they are tough too, mine has taken a beating, water, being dropped on pavement more times than I can count, got partially burried in sand once still works perfect and thats been in the last 4 or 5 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Outside of the bs, Panty 6 finally gave up her Curve, and got a LG Xenon, and an iPod Touch. I think she's about over the withdrawls, but it may take a few more days to really see...
Me, I dig the Droid, but have to wonder about the ad's reality. I can't see a phone downloading that kind of graphic heavy dope that fast </div></div>

ATT 3G service may be better inside their coverage area...but to call the "White" area of this map the area that's covered is COMPLETELY FALSE. Until about 18 months ago, there was ZERO ATT service in South Dakota. NONE.
You can now occasionally get service, but good luck finding an ATT retailer here.
I live here so I obviously don't own an ATT phone...However, lots of friends on a college campus are out of state residents. Many have iPhones and cant figure out why they dont work. It's because in order to GET that really great 3G service, you have to be able to ACTUALLY GET ANY SERVICE.

I have nothing against the iPhone...but you had best live in an area that they work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Me, I dig the Droid, but have to wonder about the ad's reality. I can't see a phone downloading that kind of graphic heavy dope that fast</div></div>

I was gonna say that map is BS cause I get 3g (although spotty in some areas) in SE Idaho and Wyoming where the map shows none.

Anywho, who gives a fuck about what phone does what its all relative to what the user wants and if the carrier can deliver good service in the area you frequent.

I am not an expert but what I've read is that if you want full features of Android you have to purchase the Nexus One for now. Apparently the carriers and handset makers are customizing the OS so the feature set that works on one Android phone may not work on another. Just what I've read.

well I have an HTC Eris with Verizon for a carrier and would love for someone to point out a feature that it isn't capable of using.
Not saying it isnt...because if you dont have it...its hard to miss it but I can't even fathom what it "might not" be capable of.

again, I'm not ANTI-iPhone, and I agree with IdahoMike...if you can get good service with it...super, i'm sure it'd be awesome.

If we had ATT here, I would have probably gotten one before the droid came out and been perfectly happy with it. but again, just an assumption.

Same here.....I have not heard anyone on Android sites mention any crippled functions when using Verizon on the Droid.

I have had other phones from Verizon that were crippled:
They had to use navigation, and media from Verizons pay service.

My Verizon Motorola Droid will do these and alot more.
Nothing crippled here.

To the blue-white map: that was smart of AT&T to ignore the larger populated areas and cities..:)

If AT&T coverage was a gas station......FUCK!

The Droid seems OK, it is fast on the web with Verizon. Decent navigation structure. It has Apple-like touch screen "scrolls". The phone is like a metal brick.

Connected my iphone to T-Mobile, screw contracts. Don't get the fancy 3G service AT&T has, but the Edge network still gets me surfing and downloading youtube videos so I can live with it. Jailbroken/ulocked iphone means I get more apps and features for free, and did I mention there's no contracts?

Did you notice the Labs that are available in mapping on the Droid?
A fairly new one allows you to do point-to-point measurements like in Google-Earth....but with your phone. Terrain has been around for a while. Distance and compass heading to places and friends is another interesting one.

Retired from Bellsouth. I get a discount on ATT. Service was better when it was Cingular. I would not have ATT if not for the discount I get. Also, as mine rings a lot, I sometimes enjoy not being in a service area!
My Blackberry is Verizon. The company I work for now bought it. I use it if I need a phone in those no bar zones with ATT.
Haven't tryed the Droid. I'm afraid I would like it and jump ship. Ma Bell would snatch the bell tattoo right off my ass if I did!

After spending several hours surfing the web, downloading apps, and (sigh) texting last night, I have to say I'm pretty sold on both the Droid and Verizon's coverage for my area.

I only had one force close last night and that was Yahoo mail, which occasionally crashes Firefox on my dial up connection. So far, I'm amazed with this new technology. The damn thing knows where I am in my house, and the maps app moves my dot as I go room to room. The browsing is fast, the OS seems to be quite solid, and the phone itself is, as stated above, like a metal brick. So far, so satisfied.

I had the original iPhone for two years and then we moved and AT&T coverage doesn't exist here. The company I now work for supplies my phone and they were on Verizon so I went with the Droid I have had over 3 month.

I HATE it, I hate it so much that if AT&T had coverage here I would pay for the iphone myself just to have it back. Here is why I don't like it...
1.Slide out keyboard is useless..way way too small.. slides out too easy
2.Phone is super bulky and the shape sucks in general iPhone is sleek, slim and lightweight
3.The touchscreen doesn't compare to the iPhone, while it is better than some of the touchscreens out there it isn't on the same level as the iPhone
4.Battery cover ..lol this is a joke I have had 2 battery covers sent to me because they just fall off, I lost mine for the 3rd time this week and one of my employees happened to find it.
5.Intermittently the screen turns off during a call(normal), but does not turn back on after the call is over. I actually took my original Driod back for this reason and it was replaced, but the new replacement does it also. Sometimes the only way I can get it back on is to pull the battery.

Like I said I really do not like this phone, my wife has the HTC Eris driod model and she loves it (she is also coming from an iPhone). I have used it also and it seems decent, she wont touch my Droid she doesnt like it..lol

Take it for whats its worth, but if you can get AT&T coverage I would get the iPhone in a heartbeat. I was with them for 5 years and never had one bit of trouble. CS was very good even down to the end when they let my wife's phone go even though it was still a year untill her contract was up with no penalty charges, because of the lack of coverage here. I had heck with Verizon when I tried to get a new Driod because of the black out issue, and it was only 2 weeks old. I really do wish I could have my iPhone back!!

I bought my Iphone a week before the droid came out. It was a necessity my previous phone died. But looking back i think i made the right choice. the durability of the iphone in an otter box blows the droids away. I work construction, so it gets beet up. When i walked into the att store i told them i need the most durable case she took her phone off her belt and through it at the wall, Literally. I said ill take it.

I agree with the MOTOROLA DORID being a big heavy POS brick...my sister got that one and i was completely against it from the start. When it was time for ME to get a new phone i was looking at everything they had OTHER than the Dorid. The phone man showed me the HTC Eris and I was sold. Being able to get it for free didnt hurt either. Mine (HTC Eris) does everything the Motorola does in half the weight, in regards to the touch screen...it is most certainly a 9/10 if I refer to my iTouch screen as a 10/10

Rafael...where were you finding that point-to-point measurement app? I have been looking for one but so far, no luck. If it's not free... I'll pass.

When in Google maps, hit menu and then "more" and then "Labs".
These extra tools must be enabled here.

I am not sure you have this capability since Motorola Droid is the only one running Android version 2.1.

By the way......
Does the Eris have a compass?
Removeable memory card?
854X480 screen?
Accelerometers?

I just bought an I-phone about 2.5-3 weeks ago. So far, I love the phone and the apps.

Only thing I don't like is the battery life.

I just switch from centennial wireless to AT&T since AT&T bought them out earlier this year. I haven't had any problems loosing service and their CS seems great @ AT&T.

I have no experience with the Droid, so I can't comment on it.

I have a droid,Other than the google navigation I am not all that impressed. I butt dial people more than ever, I dont ahevt he ability to set individual notification sounds for differant email accounts and texts. Most of all it does not have a good iteroperability with voice dialing. just my 2 cents, I had the iphone and I liked it except for the fact that it was on ATT and out here where I live in WA state ATT does not have good coverage