• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

iPhone vs foretrex vs kestrel

ajdemar215

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2017
TL:DR using 4DOF, is kestrel or foretrex better?
Need a bit of advice, I’m currently using the hornady 4DOF on my iPhone as a ballistic calculator, to decent success I might add. I’ve had my phone overheat several times and I’m looking at potentially buying a foretrex or kestrel. Which would you suggest and why? I can use a discount at Garmin and a big one I might add. Kestrels with AB seem to be the trend though. I’ll also add that I do not have much access to ranges beyond 300 to true BC beyond that, I shoot matches out to 1000 about every other month and it’s a 4 hour drive so not exactly easy to get out and sit down and shoot groups on paper to figure out what I need or don’t. Thanks for any help!

308, 6.5 creed, .223, .22 main things I shoot

Reactions: tadawson
Dedicated systems are better for sure,

We demonstrate all the time unless you protect the phone from the sun, they will shut off really fast in the heat. Here in CO come summer, and we saw it in class a lot, the iPhones left in the sun go into thermal shutdown super quick.

A mile closer to the sun, 90+ degree temps, and no clouds, your phone is too fragile compared to dedicated devices

Reactions: ajdemar215
Phones suck for any type of field work (IME). The battery always dies right when you need it, or they overheat (as you mentioned).

As to the Kestrel and Garmin, I think it's a personal preference (I have both).

The Garmin (to me) is a better form factor and larger screen. It's worn on the wrist, so for me, it feels right to look at my wrist as I adjust come ups and windage. The downside is that it does not measure humidity, and so it has to be plugged in manually. The temperature sensor is separate, though it clips easily onto the wrist band of the 701. I wish they made a humidity sensor as well, but that is just a gripe, as it doesn't need to be exact (temp and barometric pressure are more important, which it does fine).

The Kestrel is the standard. It's been around the longest, and is what is currently issued to the military (as I understand it). It does it all in one package. No fuss, no muss, just turn it on and let it run. The downside is the smaller screen, not really wearable, and the software U/I and interfaces are mediocre (more of an AB knock than Kestrel). They are working to change that with the forthcoming AB Connect capability, so there is some stream lining (I think) in the works. Not sure if it's an app, a hardware interface layer, or both.

As to which to get, I'd say it's a toss up and based on how you plan to use it, and whether you also need a GPS. The Kestrel is straight up a hand held weather station with ballistic software. The Garmin is a GPS with ballistic software. I tend to think of one (Kestrel) as a specific LR shooting tool/aid, and the other (Garmin) geared more towards hunting (but obviously can be used for PRS as well).

IMO, you need to decide what you want to use it for, and then go from there.

Frank beat me to it (about the phone). Faster on the "post reply" button. :)

Last edited:
Dedicated systems are better for sure,

We demonstrate all the time unless you protect the phone from the sun, they will shut off really fast in the heat. Here in CO come summer, and we saw it in class a lot, the iPhones left in the sun go into thermal shutdown super quick.

A mile closer to the sun, 90+ degree temps, and no clouds, your phone is too fragile compared to dedicated devices

Ok then, what would you recommend for the delimma with not being able to true BC at distance? Thanks for the information frank!

Phones suck for any type of field work (IME). The battery always dies right when you need it, or they overheat (as you mentioned).

As to the Kestrel and Garmin, I think it's a personal preference (I have both).

The Garmin (to me) is a better form factor and larger screen. It's worn on the wrist, so for me, it feels right to look at my wrist as I adjust come ups and windage. The downside is that it does not measure humidity, and so it has to be plugged in manually. The temperature sensor is separate, though it clips easily onto the wrist band of the 701. I wish they made a humidity sensor as well, but that is just a gripe, as it doesn't need to be exact (temp and barometric pressure are more important, which it does fine).

The Kestrel is the standard. It's been around the longest, and is what is currently issued to the military (as I understand it). It does it all in one package. No fuss, no muss, just turn it on and let it run. The downside is the smaller screen, not really wearable, and the software U/I and interfaces are mediocre. They are working to change that with the forthcoming Kestrel Connect capability, so there is some stream lining (I think) in the works. Not sure if it's an app, a hardware interface layer, or both.

As to which to get, I'd say it's a toss up and based on how you plan to use it, and whether you also need a GPS. The Kestrel is straight up a hand held weather station with ballistic software. The Garmin is a GPS with ballistic software. I tend to think of one (Kestrel) as a specific LR shooting tool/aid, and the other (Garmin) geared more towards hunting (but obviously can be used for PRS as well).

IMO, you need to decide what you want to use it for, and then go from there.

Frank beat me to it (about the phone). Faster on the "post reply" button. :)

I like a bigger screen and simple operation, what model kestrel would you recommend if I choose that route? I hunt but, the likelyhood of me ever going on a hunt where I need GPS is unlikely but you never know.

I have a dedicated iPhone for trasol and gather environmentals with my kestrel. I've never really liked AB nor trusted it and I fell in love with trasol, esp since the update. I keep the iPhone in an otter box and in my pack until I need it. If I'm prone and in the sun, I just close it up inside my data book. I haven't had it over heat. I know if I left it directly in the sun, it definitely would.

If you're going with a Kestrel, the 5700 Elite is the standard (has AB software and Link). The Kestrel rep on this sub-forum is probably a more reliable source than me about the deltas between the various models. @Kestrel Ballistics

You can true the BC in a Kestrel and Garmin using AB just do it manually and don't use the MV Truing Feature

Is it possible to true a Custom Drag Curve or is it limited to just tweaking G1/G7 ?

Is it possible to true a Custom Drag Curve or is it limited to just tweaking G1/G7 ?
i think so?? you can change the custom drag value (1.00) in gun profile in Kestrel link.
you then send the new profile to Kestrel and test it.
havnt tried it yet tho.

Reactions: Timo Turl
i think so?? you can change the custom drag value (1.00) in gun profile in Kestrel link.
you then send the new profile to Kestrel and test it.
havnt tried it yet tho.

The Custom Drag Curve is Locked at 1.000. It's not modifiable by the end-user.

I think the kestrel trumps the Garmin in a couple of ways. It has an app to quickly name, build, and sync profiles from phone to kestrel. The range card on both devices is really the quickest way to scroll through dope, but the kestrel allows a quick scroll to the right to see Wind2, leads, etc. The Garmin, you have to change the column. The target screens will show W1 and W2 but you have to re enter every distance. Fine for practice but not as quick as scrolling through a range card when you come up to next stage at a match. I also think there are easier ways to look at dope than on the wrist when you’re on the clock. I think the Garmin is cool for practice and hunting but the kestrel still offers quicker all around data access. If they would add W2 to the Garmin range screen it would be better. Sig2400 probably even better for hunting.

In theory (rumor has it) the AB Connect app will also eventually support the Garmin 701. And from a sync perspective, the Garmin is waaaayyyy easier than dealing with Win 10 BT for loading AB gun profiles.

Different horses for courses...everyone has their preference.

Last edited:
Kestrel is waterproof. Kestrel can measure wind and direction of wind. And Kestrel can calculate aerodynamic jump. When you have Kestrel, you have all Custom Drags. In mobile version you need to buy CD for each bullet.

They're both waterproof. And AB measures AJ, not Kestrel or Garmin. And both Kestel Elite and Garmin 701 comes with the full CDM library.

The wind measurement capability of the Kestrel is a plus if you're starting out and/or if your in wind value over 15mph (hard to visually call it past that amount).

As mentioned previously, where the Garmin falls short is the humidity measurement (and one can argue how close you need to be to have a significant influence on the curve at normal/common LR ranges).

Like I've said before, it really depends on what you're intending to use it for.

Last edited:
I don’t know how hard it would be to do this but it would be nice if there was a weather meter that was ballistic software agnostic... meaning I could load TRASOL, or JBM or Hornady... etc.

I'd think @Kestrel Ballistics would have to make one with an open API so that all vendors could then code their software (an interface layer with a cron job of some sort that polls the sensors for updates) to integrate with the hardware. This is assuming the other ballistic s/w packages can fall within the SWAP (Size, Weight and Power) of the kestrel.

I do like the idea though...competition is good for the consumer.

Last edited:
They're both waterproof. And AB measures AJ, not Kestrel or Garmin. And both Kestel Elite and Garmin comes with the full CDM library.

The wind measurement capability of the Kestrel is a plus if you're starting out and/or if your in wind value over 15mph (hard to visually call it past that amount).

As mentioned previously, where the Garmin falls short is the humidity measurement (and one can argue how close you need to be to have a significant influence on the curve at normal/common LR ranges).

Like I've said before, it really depends on what you're intending to use it for.

Will be using it mainly for shooting precision rifle matches out to 1k ish, most of the time, I can just grab the humidity from someone who has a kestrel I reckon.... that is if I choose to go the Garmin route

@Lowlight has both as well (come to think of it). I'd be curious to hear his opinion between the two (if it doesn't put him in a awkward position).

The versatility of the Kestrel because of the wind and weather measurement even without the software is great for shooters.

The Garmin is more for hikers and people moving from point A to point B, with the added benefit of very good software in a smaller easy to wear package.

You can flip a coin, but first, focus on what is important to you in this type of device. If the Garmin used the same upgradeable feature set as the Bravo Tactix watch I would give it super high marks but they limit the customizable options on the Foretrex vs the Watches.

It really comes down to wind and weather vs GPS as the rest is nearly identical

They're both waterproof. And AB measures AJ, not Kestrel or Garmin. And both Kestel Elite and Garmin 701 comes with the full CDM library.

Yes, you are right. AB measures AJ but without wind you can not calculate AJ. Kestrel does not need any other device to fully working.