• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IR&D Vampire Solo Rifle Mountable Laser Range Finder Review

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
Over the past two weeks, I've been testing this range finder.

http://irnd.be/multifunctional-ballistic-module-vampire-solo/

bZksA0Wh.jpg

I also have a RAPTAR ES and a Sliencerco Radius, so made some comparisons

Weight is 14.5 oz for the VSO
Weight is 9.9 oz for the RAPTAR

This ranger finder has so many features, I don't want to list this all out, as I don't want this review to be too long :).

The shown price is $4,500
Comparing to the RAPTAR S/ES which has a show price closer to $7,000
Of course the Radius shown price probably averages around $600, but the VSO and the RAPTAR S/ES are ballistic ranger finders, whereas the Radius is just a range finder.

Unlike the RAPTAR, the VSO does not have an aiming laser or an illuminator, it is a range finder only, like the Radius.

The RAPTAR ES, RAPTAR S/ES and RAPTAR S all have 1550nm ranging lasers. The model of VSO I tested has a 960nm, though a "mil-spec" version is available which has a 1550nm. The "mil-spec" version has a shown price of $7,000.

Power - the VSO takes 2xc123 batteries. I ran it all night two different nights. It lasted 19 hours one night and 18 hours the other night. This display has a color mode and a black on white mode. I ran it mostly on white (letter) on black background. But on the day it only lasted 18 hours I ran it longer in color mode. But, the good new is that it will last all night.

Repeatability. I ran it on a spuhr COAX mount (designed for the RAPTAR). I removed it and remounted it several times and it retained zero. I used a larue rail clip to help ensure I got it back in the same rail slot.

Zeroing: This is the process I use to zero the RAPTAR, the Radius and the VSO:

First zero your rifle at 100yds. Set the zero stop and ensure the elevation turret is at that zero stop. You are zeroing the range finder to the 100yd zero and all ranging must be done with the elevation turret set to the zero stop.

Once is it dark:

01 - Mount LRF on the 12 o'clock mount over the scope
02 - Activate vis laser in the house.
03 - Co-witness to the scope reticle.
04 - Mount the 14 scope adapter and the PVS-14 on rear of scope.
05 - Move everything out side and setup.
06 - Turn on the 14
07 - Aim at mineral feeder 415 yds away.
08 - co-witness the laser to the scope reticle.
09 - Check the distance = 416yds (check)
10 - Check distance to fence post = 77yds (check)
11 - Check distance to telephone pole = 106yds (check)

44403085801_1ee6f28045_k.jpg

Kestrel integration
The VSO (and the RAPTAR S/ES and RAPTAR S) integrates to the Kestrel 5700 Applied Ballistics LINK weather station, which I have. the Kestrel can pass the wind reading to the VSO, the VSO displays it on the screen.

Display:

J1qkukhh.jpg

The distance is in the upper left, the wind in lower left, cant along the lower bottom, compass in the upper right, elevation and wind holds in the center.

There are many other screens that show configuration information and other views of the data stored in the device.

wTcizgDh.jpg

Day Shooting

500yds, 8-10 MPH wind

42621991500_992f1ba19d_k.jpg

The red circled hit was from a previous day
30562898618_7b4281e428_k.jpg

The green^^circles where from the first group. I under estimated the wind.
==
29493445297_4b00e7d3fd_k.jpg

Orange circles are prior group, green circles are second group where I was aiming at the "face" got 7 of 9 hits actually on the face.

My Shooter Ballistics calculator said to hold 2.9 and the VSO said to hold 2.88. The VSO measured the distance as 497yds which is correct, I was a little short of the exact 500yds FP.
==

Night Shoot:

With the UTC-x thermal clipon on front and heated steel, this is a "file" photo I took several months ago (I forgot my camera the night of the night shoot ... but this is exactly what it looked like, except I had a T3 reticle in the NF)

44g3NcVh.jpg

But fired 13 rds and got 11 hits off the Manfrotto tripod at measured 499yds and I measured 4 mph wind, but the hits were all right side of target so wind was higher.

==
Long distance ranging:

Ranged cattle in field between half a mile out to a mile and a half on three difference nights.

44454794112_dc67735042_h.jpg

In this pic ^^ the lower group of cows are at avg around 1200yds, the upper group (in a different pasture at a higher elevation) are at avg around 1800yds. I ranged cows in each group for a total of about 24 ranges per group.
The farthest range I measured was 2553yds. It has been raining every day/night this week and these ranges were done in light rain. This thing can range.

Ballistics:

I spent several days in the house comparing the data on the Shooter, my AB in my phone, my AB on the Kestrel and the data in the VSO. There were some issues, but I worked through the all and got AB and the VSO matched up +/- 0.1 mils out to 1,500yds with 3 of my guns. THis thing can do ballistics also.

Support:
I saved the best for last. Every night for the past 10 days, even over the weekend, I've been on "whatsapp" and email with the support team in Belgium helping dumb a$$ Joe work through some of my silly issues, like not being able to figure out how to turn the adjusting screws. We've also found 2 "bugs" and 1 "feature" and they've fixed two of them already and I downloaded the new software with their phone app and installed it on the device. It was an easy process and took 15m. Try that with your RAPTAR or Radius :)
They also talked me down into the factory config menu to adjust another parameter.
They have been unceasing in their support and helpfulness, I have never been more impressed with factory support.

Summary:
So, yes, I recommend this device and also believe it is better than the RAPTAR. And TBH, I did not expect this result. I wanted to test it, but I did not expect it would match up. But these guys have build a solid tool and this device can do things no other range finder I've tried can do, such as ranging cow from 3/4 of a mile out to 1.5 miles at night in the rain.
This one is a keeper :)

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73
In terms of beam divergence, do you recall the specs for this versus the Raptar? Also I was curious what your furthest ranges with the SiCo and the Raptar are compared to your 2500 yards with this model. The price is certainly much more palatable than a $7000 price tag. I'd like to see more options in this realm. With the performance and price of the Nikon 4K and the Kilo 2400ABS, it'd be good to see some more cost effective options available for these kinds of devices. Adding a display and mounting features can't be horribly far off for R&D, and this segment of shooting has grown enough to justify some development for the consumer-grade products where currently the discontinued Radius is the only option.

Don't see any beam divergence data for either the RAPTAR or the VSO

http://www.wilcoxind.com/RAPTAR-Strade-P175.aspx

RAPTAR S/ES shown price in $6,200 at OP

https://www.opticsplanet.com/wilcox...rce=cse&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=connexity

The shown price on euro for the VSO was $4,500

But note, there are two versions of the VSO. The commercial version for $4,500 with 960nm ranging laser and the Military version for $7,000 with the 1550nm ranging laser.

All the RAPTARs have the 1550nm ranging laser.

The 1550nm laser, due to its higher frequency, is eye safe even at high power. So much more powerful ranging bursts can be sent with the 1550nm versions producing a higher chance of a succesful range at longer distances.

The VSO attempts to mitigate by using lilterally 1000s of lower power ranging attempts at 960nm.

The reason the RAPTARs cost $2k more than other solutions is due to the 1550nm power ranging laser. And the reason the VSO miilitary version is $2,500 more is again due to the more expensive more powerful laser.

==

Last I heard, street prices on the RAPTAR ES (LRF only no ballistics) were under $3k

Check with PRG (Potomac River Group)

==

I've gotten 3,300 at night with the Radius and 5,300 at night with the VSO. I have another RAPTAR in bound. We have consolidated our Range Finder discussion in the thread by that name in the Night Vision/Thermal section.
Most of us using these are using them at night with thermals or NV.

==
Here's a link to the ranger finder thread in the nv/thermal subforum

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/range-finders.6910325/#post-7420713

Last edited:
Don't see any beam divergence data for either the RAPTAR or the VSO

http://www.wilcoxind.com/RAPTAR-Strade-P175.aspx

RAPTAR S/ES shown price in $6,200 at OP

https://www.opticsplanet.com/wilcox...rce=cse&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=connexity

The shown price on euro for the VSO was $4,500

But note, there are two versions of the VSO. The commercial version for $4,500 with 960nm ranging laser and the Military version for $7,000 with the 1550nm ranging laser.

All the RAPTARs have the 1550nm ranging laser.

The 1550nm laser, due to its higher frequency, is eye safe even at high power. So much more powerful ranging bursts can be sent with the 1550nm versions producing a higher chance of a succesful range at longer distances.

The VSO attempts to mitigate by using lilterally 1000s of lower power ranging attempts at 960nm.

The reason the RAPTARs cost $2k more than other solutions is due to the 1550nm power ranging laser. And the reason the VSO miilitary version is $2,500 more is again due to the more expensive more powerful laser.

==

Last I heard, street prices on the RAPTAR ES (LRF only no ballistics) were under $3k

Check with PRG (Potomac River Group)

==

I've gotten 3,300 at night with the Radius and 5,300 at night with the VSO. I have another RAPTAR in bound. We have consolidated our Range Finder discussion in the thread by that name in the Night Vision/Thermal section.
Most of us using these are using them at night with thermals or NV.

==
Here's a link to the ranger finder thread in the nv/thermal subforum

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/range-finders.6910325/#post-7420713

What do you think is better the VSO or RAPTARs? Or do you need to get he Military version to be equal. Does the VSO do real time windage too or do you need to add the Kestrel? I know you said the Kestrel reading are better than the RAPTAR S either way.

The VSO I had was the 950nm version ... They make a 1550nm version but it is $7k+ ... so the RAPTAR ES is the lowest cost 1550nm range finder I know of.
The VSO will do real time windage, but has a separate attachment for that.
The VSO will do windage inherently, but they recommend the separate attachment.

Unfortunately IR&D struggled to be able to repair/replace the hardware in a timely manner when there was a hardware issue. Their support for the device and software was top notch ! On whatsapp.

But, after waiting 4 mos for a fixed/replaced unit they kept telling me was coming, I finally gave up and got a RAPTAR S/ES. I really think the issue was they didn't know how to export a replacement unit from Belgium. As crazy as that might sound.

As to the unit itself, there was lots to like about the VSO and I think it is easier to use and has a better layout on the display, easier to read. But, I think the RAPTAR is far more proven ... and you are dealing with USA support, so if there is a hardware issue it will be faster/easier to get fixed.

So if "better" includes maintenance, then I'd have to go with the RAPTAR.

Both the VSO I had and the RAPTAR I have will range out to 5,300 yards, which is as far as I have LOS to the ground around me, from one of my hills on my land. The VSO 950nm uses the "zillion pulses" approach, whereas the RAPTAR with the 1550nm can use a more powerful laser. But both of them get the job done on ranging. The VSO is just a second or two slower 'cause it is doing a zillion pulses.

The fartherest the VSO can range with a firing solution is 2700 yds ... and the RAPTAR might be the same, a mile and a half. But they both can range farther with no firing solution.

Reactions: stefan73