• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR&D Vampire SOLO Rifle mountable laser range finder - Review

wigwamitus

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
LBJ
Over the past two weeks, I've been testing this range finder.

http://irnd.be/multifunctional-ballistic-module-vampire-solo/

bZksA0Wh.jpg

I also have a RAPTAR ES and a Sliencerco Radius, so made some comparisons

Weight is 14.5 oz for the VSO
Weight is 9.9 oz for the RAPTAR

This ranger finder has so many features, I don't want to list this all out, as I don't want this review to be too long :).

The shown price is $4,500
Comparing to the RAPTAR S/ES which has a show price closer to $7,000
Of course the Radius shown price probably averages around $600, but the VSO and the RAPTAR S/ES are ballistic ranger finders, whereas the Radius is just a range finder.

Unlike the RAPTAR, the VSO does not have an aiming laser or an illuminator, it is a range finder only, like the Radius.

The RAPTAR ES, RAPTAR S/ES and RAPTAR S all have 1550nm ranging lasers. The model of VSO I tested has a 960nm, though a "mil-spec" version is available which has a 1550nm. The "mil-spec" version has a shown price of $7,000.

Power - the VSO takes 2xc123 batteries. I ran it all night two different nights. It lasted 19 hours one night and 18 hours the other night. This display has a color mode and a black on white mode. I ran it mostly on white (letter) on black background. But on the day it only lasted 18 hours I ran it longer in color mode. But, the good new is that it will last all night.

Repeatability. I ran it on a spuhr COAX mount (designed for the RAPTAR). I removed it and remounted it several times and it retained zero. I used a larue rail clip to help ensure I got it back in the same rail slot.

Zeroing: This is the process I use to zero the RAPTAR, the Radius and the VSO:

First zero your rifle at 100yds. Set the zero stop and ensure the elevation turret is at that zero stop. You are zeroing the range finder to the 100yd zero and all ranging must be done with the elevation turret set to the zero stop.

Once is it dark:

01 - Mount LRF on the 12 o'clock mount over the scope
02 - Activate vis laser in the house.
03 - Co-witness to the scope reticle.
04 - Mount the 14 scope adapter and the PVS-14 on rear of scope.
05 - Move everything out side and setup.
06 - Turn on the 14
07 - Aim at mineral feeder 415 yds away.
08 - co-witness the laser to the scope reticle.
09 - Check the distance = 416yds (check)
10 - Check distance to fence post = 77yds (check)
11 - Check distance to telephone pole = 106yds (check)

44403085801_1ee6f28045_k.jpg

Kestrel integration
The VSO (and the RAPTAR S/ES and RAPTAR S) integrates to the Kestrel 5700 Applied Ballistics LINK weather station, which I have. the Kestrel can pass the wind reading to the VSO, the VSO displays it on the screen.

Display:

J1qkukhh.jpg

The distance is in the upper left, the wind in lower left, cant along the lower bottom, compass in the upper right, elevation and wind holds in the center.

There are many other screens that show configuration information and other views of the data stored in the device.

wTcizgDh.jpg

Day Shooting

500yds, 8-10 MPH wind

42621991500_992f1ba19d_k.jpg

The red circled hit was from a previous day
30562898618_7b4281e428_k.jpg

The green^^circles where from the first group. I under estimated the wind.
==
29493445297_4b00e7d3fd_k.jpg

Orange circles are prior group, green circles are second group where I was aiming at the "face" got 7 of 9 hits actually on the face.

My Shooter Ballistics calculator said to hold 2.9 and the VSO said to hold 2.88. The VSO measured the distance as 497yds which is correct, I was a little short of the exact 500yds FP.
==

Night Shoot:

With the UTC-x thermal clipon on front and heated steel, this is a "file" photo I took several months ago (I forgot my camera the night of the night shoot ... but this is exactly what it looked like, except I had a T3 reticle in the NF)

44g3NcVh.jpg

But fired 13 rds and got 11 hits off the Manfrotto tripod at measured 499yds and I measured 4 mph wind, but the hits were all right side of target so wind was higher.

==
Long distance ranging:

Ranged cattle in field between half a mile out to a mile and a half on three difference nights.

44454794112_dc67735042_h.jpg

In this pic ^^ the lower group of cows are at avg around 1200yds, the upper group (in a different pasture at a higher elevation) are at avg around 1800yds. I ranged cows in each group for a total of about 24 ranges per group.
The farthest range I measured was 2553yds. It has been raining every day/night this week and these ranges were done in light rain. This thing can range.

Ballistics:

I spent several days in the house comparing the data on the Shooter, my AB in my phone, my AB on the Kestrel and the data in the VSO. There were some issues, but I worked through the all and got AB and the VSO matched up +/- 0.1 mils out to 1,500yds with 3 of my guns. THis thing can do ballistics also.

Support:
I saved the best for last. Every night for the past 10 days, even over the weekend, I've been on "whatsapp" and email with the support team in Belgium helping dumb a$$ Joe work through some of my silly issues, like not being able to figure out how to turn the adjusting screws. We've also found 2 "bugs" and 1 "feature" and they've fixed two of them already and I downloaded the new software with their phone app and installed it on the device. It was an easy process and took 15m. Try that with your RAPTAR or Radius :)
They also talked me down into the factory config menu to adjust another parameter.
They have been unceasing in their support and helpfulness, I have never been more impressed with factory support.

Summary:
So, yes, I recommend this device and also believe it is better than the RAPTAR. And TBH, I did not expect this result. I wanted to test it, but I did not expect it would match up. But these guys have build a solid tool and this device can do things no other range finder I've tried can do, such as ranging cow from 3/4 of a mile out to 1.5 miles at night in the rain.
This one is a keeper :)

Last edited:
Great report! By the way, when is it available to buy?

Last edited:
Hi,

@wigwamitus
Are you dealing direct with Arsen or one of the other guys?
Anyone will be hard pressed to find a company more willing to listen and help than the guys at IRnD.

I first come across the Vampire at IDEX 2017 and are working on a few things with it ?.

More detailed reply as soon as I get back to office this evening.

Great review!!

Sincerely,
Theis

... when is it available to buy ...

Now ! Give Jason at eurooptic a call ... I am hearing there is a 2 month lead time ...

==

... Are you feeling direct with Arsen ...

I'd say more "dealing" than "feeling" ( ;) ) but yes, Arsen is the guy I've been in contact with ... morning noon and night ... for Arsen and Joe (moi) there are no nights, there are no weekends :)

Hi,

Here is one of IMO the slight problems IR&D is going to have in regards to the USA civilian market.....
1. There needs to be a single point USA based service, repair and warranty center since the item just cannot be shipped back without appropriate export license to Belgium for work due to ITAR regulations.
A: This really needs to be separate from any of the dealers selling the products because if I purchase from such and such dealer but so and so dealer is the service, repair and warranty center then there are potential conflict of interest. Not saying there WOULD be but the chance that it COULD be is there.
2. They need to update the SOLO specs in regards to maximum shooting distance the ballistic program calculates to (They state 1500m).

Now onto the attributes of the SOLO :)
1. They have a portable weather station that syncs with the SOLO that is more accurate than kestrels.
2. I am working on pairing an acoustic radar system to the SOLO. This would be mainly for ELR competitions, etc. Integrating the measured distance the shot was off the target and calculating that into a new firing solution based off environmental conditions, etc. That sentence is WAY WAY simplified of course lol.
3. Upgrading to a different ballistic engine is where I want to go with the SOLO.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
... what is Real world max ranging distance for the radius on non reflective targets like painted steel ...

Well, I guess the real world answer is "it depends" ... like with the VSO some nights I've been about to get to 2500yds ... last night only 1500yds ... today again ... 1500yds ...

With the Radius I've been able to do 1,000yds at night at least once I can recall. Though the white glossy paint some people put on the targets is pretty reflective. But today, I got my cows at 384 ... tree trunk at 496 ... galvanized pipe at 577 ... that's as far as I could get ... day time and still some mist in the air ... I tried two galvanized cattle round waterers they were side by side at about 900yds ... I ranged dead center I ranged low, I ranged high, to the left to the right ... then went away and came back and tried again. Never happened. An old galvanized barn at 1488, I got with the VSO earlier, could not get with the radius today.

I will change the batts and try again tonight.

Well, I guess the real world answer is "it depends" ... like with the VSO some nights I've been about to get to 2500yds ... last night only 1500yds ... today again ... 1500yds ...

With the Radius I've been able to do 1,000yds at night at least once I can recall. Though the white glossy paint some people put on the targets is pretty reflective. But today, I got my cows at 384 ... tree trunk at 496 ... galvanized pipe at 577 ... that's as far as I could get ... day time and still some mist in the air ... I tried two galvanized cattle round waterers they were side by side at about 900yds ... I ranged dead center I ranged low, I ranged high, to the left to the right ... then went away and came back and tried again. Never happened. An old galvanized barn at 1488, I got with the VSO earlier, could not get with the radius today.

I will change the batts and try again tonight.
10 4 thanks. I would love to have a mounted ranger but I’d want it to reach wayyy out there and the radius is the only one anywhere close to my budget!

... I would love to have a mounted ranger but I’d want it to reach wayyy out there and the radius is the only one anywhere close to my budget ..

Not a problem ... you only have to make one change ... either adjust your ranging requirements or adjust your budget !!! :D

It's good to hear that the manufacturer is helpful and quick to respond and address issues. I don't know that I've seen that level of service from anyone on electronic gadgets in some time.

Hopefully with good feedback they can keep tweaking it to perfection .

Reactions: LastShot300
Not exactly on topic but what is Real world max ranging distance for the radius on non reflective targets like painted steel?
the radius for me does 2k pretty easily at night on non reflective shit. tree lines and large shit 3500yd is about as far as if tried and get a reading every time.

The VSO has several modes and settings in terms of the ranging process ...
"Far", "near", "forest", "precipitation" and "user"

In my setup each of these has a different numerical value .. my user setting is 100 (the lowest possible setting) and the "Far" has 3000 which is the highest possible setting. IDK but my guess is these are the number of milleseconds allocated to pulsing. Looking thru the day scope with the pvs-14 on the back I can see the pulsing happening and see the pulsing pattern.

I've tried them all except "precipitation" ... though I think the only difference between them is the duration. But I will ask Belgium to clarify this point.

Per request, went out, just outside my garage and setup the RRS and a Manfrotto. Put the 7.62(22), NF 7-35x, VSO on the RRS and the .300WM(24), xtr2 3-15x, radius on the Manfrotto. Moved the UTCx between them. Ranged a group of 3 trees on ridge line (we call it "Divide" because it spits our county in to the two main creek systems, Mill Creek and Mission Creek (I am on Mission Creek side) a mile and a half away.
I got ranges first time every time for both range finders. Before Sunday, it had rained every day for 3 weeks, since Sunday no rain. So much drier and it is night time, so much better laser ranging conditions.

xtr2 image behind utcx ... of course image much clearer in real life ... cameras terrible behind scopes, worse at night ... worse behind thermal ...
44628723821_67f9d21722_k.jpg

==
VSO distance in upper left.

43718958505_0482d30f20_k.jpg

==
Radius distance.

44628895411_657a023610_k.jpg

==
So again, good ranging conditions tonight ... both range finders got the distance the first time ... and every time ... dark and dry ...

How about day time?

I feel like its a 1k range finder in daytime and does it very well . it works for me and my intended purpose. there are obviously better range finders but the radius performs very well. much of the issues people claim to have with it ranging things is the set up on the rifle and not understanding the beam layout and divergence. when you have nvgs and use it in conjunction with it you see the beam and its size so you can tell what and how it will work the best in the day time. those that don't have nvgs wouldn't know that at all.

mounting it to the side of a chassis or stock is the worst possible way to mount it. theres a lot more flex in every forend on any chassis then you may want to believe and the laser wont lie. alos the beam is really designed to be used best horizontally mounted. its very a short and wide beam. mounting it at 12 on a pic rail on a scope mount is with out question the best and most consistent solution,

Reactions: jwramp and Nate O.
I feel like its a 1k range finder in daytime and does it very well . it works for me and my intended purpose. there are obviously better range finders but the radius performs very well. much of the issues people claim to have with it ranging things is the set up on the rifle and not understanding the beam layout and divergence. when you have nvgs and use it in conjunction with it you see the beam and its size so you can tell what and how it will work the best in the day time. those that don't have nvgs wouldn't know that at all.

mounting it to the side of a chassis or stock is the worst possible way to mount it. theres a lot more flex in every forend on any chassis then you may want to believe and the laser wont lie. alos the beam is really designed to be used best horizontally mounted. its very a short and wide beam. mounting it at 12 on a pic rail on a scope mount is with out question the best and most consistent solution,

I agree with everything said here. You can range farther than you can see to shoot at night and about 1k during the day.

@wigwamitus Random question for you, and without having one in hand, it may be hard to know the answer, but... with the new Reap-IR 2 having the pic rail (rather than the shoe), do you believe there is enough mounting space for the VSO?

One more.. do you feel that the VSO has the potential to make a lighter weight rifle system top heavy if you were to shoot unsupported in the standing position? Obviously not ideal, but for night time hunting, I'm mainly shooting off of a mono-pod.

And another.. mounting and dismounting from rifle to rifle, is there a return to 0 setting? Thinking in terms of the Reap-IR, where you can save multiple zero positions if you move the optic to a new weapon, only in the case, it would be the VSO moving, and not the optic (with VSO on top).

I can routinely get ~1000 yd during the daytime w/ my Radius. It goes much, much further in the dark which is really the only time I use it. Realistically, I have nowhere beyond 1000 yd to shoot anyways so that is more than plenty for me. I can't imagine doing any nighttime UKD shooting beyond ~250 yd w/o it. Thanks for posting all this info on the IR&D unit, but for the price difference and the fact that I don't think I would use the ballistic functions as much, I will be sticking w/ the Radius.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killswitch Engage
Questions:

==

01 -
the new Reap-IR 2 having the pic rail (rather than the shoe), do you believe there is enough mounting space for the VSO?

The rail grabber on the VSO is 1 and 5/8 inches long. I do not know the length of the REAP2 rail section yet. It is probably the same as the rail section on my patrol, but my Patrol is out in the "R&D shop" helping to build clipon capability for trijicon thermals.

==
02 -
the VSO has the potential to make a lighter weight rifle system top heavy if you were to shoot unsupported in the standing position? Obviously not ideal, but for night time hunting, I'm mainly shooting off of a mono-pod.

The VSO is 14.5 oz ... and yes, mounting anything on top changes the balance ... but at least the weight is farther to the rear than say a suppressor or a bipod. Depending on the overall weight of the rifle in question, it still might be manageable. What is the overall weight of the rifle? Is there anything else on the rifle you could remove to decrease the overall weight to compensate?

==
03 -
mounting and dismounting from rifle to rifle, is there a return to 0 setting? Thinking in terms of the Reap-IR, where you can save multiple zero positions if you move the optic to a new weapon, only in the case, it would be the VSO moving, and not the optic (with VSO on top).

Thermals are digital devices and their zeroes are software settings, hence many can be saved. The VSO has physical elevation and windage setting, so there can only be one zero setting physically on the VSO just like a day scope. So, the VSO would need to be re-zeroed for each new rifle/ammo/optic change. The VSO needs to be zeroed to the reticle of the optic. The reticle of the optic needs to be zeroed to the rifle/ammo. So any change to the rifle/ammo would change the zero of the optic and necessitate change to the VSO zero.
Zeroing the VSO to a NV optic or NV supported day optic is a co-witnessing exercise. Zeroing the VSO to a thermal is otherwise. It can be done, we do it all the time, but it requires other means, since the thermal cannot see the zeroing laser of the VSO. We use two people to do it. One at the target and one on the rifle. And we first zero close in, like 50yds to get into the ball park, then the other person drives out to the second target, like 1,000 yds down range to confirm that the zeroing laser is exactly on the target, when the aiming person has the thermal reticle centered on the target.
There are other ways to do this, but that's how we do it. And we use radios to talk when we are at 1,000yds distance from each other. I can provide more details if needed. By zeroing the LRF laser out to 1,000 yds to approach the goal of "infinity" zero.
Co-witnessing is very easy and with the right gear can be done in a tiny number of minutes. I use Night Optics Day/Night Adapter with one PVS-14 behind the day scope. Before any serious outing, I would confirm my co-witness.
Note, zeroing a rifle that will use a thermal clipon, is a co-witnessing exercise. The only time you need to use the 2-person zeroing technique (or other equivalent process) is when zeroing laser to a dedicated thermal scope.

That said, I've been able to remove and remount the VSO from the 7.62(22) numerous times and am still able to range sub-2-moa targets out to 1.5 miles etc. but in my experience "return to zero" is not just a function of the hardware, it is also a function of the human ware ... and practicing remounting optics 100s of times in a repeatable fashion. So, in my experience, the VSO can be removed and remounted and retain zero on the gun / optic to which it is zeroed. But this is not a "setting" ... it is a skill developed by the shooter. :)

Last edited:
All good detail.

Regarding 2, my rifle is an ultra light SBR which is already configured in a minimalist approach, to include a Reap-IR without remote battery, and a Peq15 without rail mounted switches. Any added devices will impact balance and form factor, but I think it would be hard to judge until it’s added to the rifle system. If it’ll fit the top rail of a Reap 2, you’ll not only cost me a VSO, but also a second thermal unless they can retrofit my Reap 1.

Your setup sounds similar to mine ... 10.3 inch colt upper ... Mk3 60mm ... CQBL on 3 o'clock, I shoot this mostly standing unsupported, but occasionally with a 1-legged shooting stick.

44591520102_eed5f85201_k.jpg

If I added the VSO, it would have to be on the 9 o'clock (no rail on the Mk3 60mm). This would preserve where I need to grip the forearm with my support arm, but distrupt the sling. If I did this, I would probably mount a rail mount for the sling on the top rail, in front of the mk3 60mm ... being able to be hands free with the gun is important to my general process, which includes rolling on the 4-wheeler.

Cannot confirm it will fit yet on the REAP2 rail, but have confirmed the REAP2 rail is the same size as the PATROL rail. My Patrol is out in the R&D lab right now, so I can't check it. I do recall the patrol rail is recessed a bit, so can't judge only by length. Not sure if the REAP2 rail is also recessed. The devil is in the details.

My word is hardly definitively, but dealers who get updates from Trijicon have said "no retrofits" ... though until Trijicon says this publically, it is not definitive either.

Regarding KSE's comment of rail flex, I totally agree. But, the Colt upper is one of the least flexi ones, it is a "true" monolith and also pretty dang heavy ... and hence less flexi ...

Adding another pound up there would not be perfect, but given how short the gun is, not as bad as if it was an 18 inch barrel.

2018-09-13
2100-2230
60F
10 MPH SE

Goals: Test VSO and Radius long distance ranging at night.

Environment: Partly cloudy, stars visible, breeze from SE. Conditions dark and dry.

Equipment: 7.62(22), NF 7-35x T3, VSO. .300WM(24), xtr2 3-15x SCR-MIL Radius. RRS, Buggy.

Activity: Rolled up to the top of Signal hill and set up the RRS. Snapped in the 7.62(22).

Ranged some of my cows at 564 first ...

44605534392_bb7f5a2937_k.jpg

==

Then ranged someone else's to the NW ... at 2734 ... that's the farthest I could get a ballistic solution ... not that I would make a shot with 92 mils of hold !!! :D

30785091188_54fd3e3559_k.jpg

44655869281_b777389485_k.jpg

==
Then ranged the Hill line that stretches from that NE hill those cows were on to the North, then to the NE ... the area where I can see the farthest from my land.

Recorded ranges of:

And that's 4,847 meters or pretty close to the spec max of 5,000 meters, though informamally Belgium tells me they've ranged with this thing out to 9k in ideal conditions. I would have to go up on top of hills not on my land to range further.

==
Then put the .300WM and the Radius on the RRS for a turn at bat.

Trying to the SW ...

44606322532_56c64e87e1_k.jpg

44656242401_5171ff1ced_k.jpg

And as it turned out, that's the farthest I could get with the Radius last night ... I was unable to get ranges returned on the line of hills NW to NE ... tried and tried and tried ... got nothing.

==
Results/Summary:

So conditions last night might be way better than they've been for the past month ... but still probably not "ideal". This morning we have 100% cloud cover and pretty thick mist and it is almost 9am.

When you don't get a ballistic solution with the VSO, you don't see the distance on the main screen, you just see it on the "ranging" screen, which you see before the main screen. I didn't completely realize that until last night, but now I do.

Yes there is a wireless remote for the VSO. Both the Radius and the RAPTAR have wired remotes.

Oh, and I tested the wireless remote for the VSO several times and it works! :)

Belgium just confirmed max ballistic solution distance is 2500 meters (2734 yds). So that explains why I was seeing 2734yds on the ballistic display when I was ranging 3000-5300 yds. I pointed out to Belgium their documentation says max shooting distance 1500 meters, so they need to update the docs !! I did see the correct full distance on the ranging display but saw 2734 on the ballistic display.

Well just seeing this and i must say this is pretty amazing. Seems to do the same as the radius but way better.