• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR Flood for Navigating

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    I picked up a Sionyx digital nv device in a trade to let my kids use but it needs some IR light in really dark conditions.

What’s a good IR flood that can be used on a helmet for navigating? I’ve got a few here but they are all way more spot than flood.

They are bulky and not helmet mountable but I really like the cheap 18650 IR zoomies on Amazon as a general purpose navigation light. You can take the reflector out and you get an almost 180 degree flood, and with the light zoomed in I can see well at 400M or so.

For a cheap handheld light for shorter range use you could go with the convoy S2+ 18650, can also be had with an 18350 body. The light really isn't useful much past 50M and it has no brightness control which makes it too bright for me for closer range so I find it to be useless, but it just might be the ticket for a Sionyx.

If you want something low powered and built for a helmet there are purpose-built options like the PrincetonTech light.

I have a Inforce WML weapon light that is white light and IR. It’s very floody in IR mode and works good for a helmet illuminator, which is how I use it. Bonus is with the flip of a switch it has white light too.

I have the 2 CR123 version. The other nice thing is it’s very easy to attach/remove from a rail. Also, the IR/white switch is a flip lever that flips 180 degrees, so you can feel with your fingers what it’s set to while it’s on a helmet before you hit the switch. For me, it’s a better helmet light than weapon light for IR use.