• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR illimunitor/laser for PVS 30

elwarpo

Still Learning...
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
North of Houston, TX
Picked up a PVS 30 and I am now considering an IR laser / illuminator for it. The more research I have done, the more confused I get, so thought I would list my needs.

PVS 30 will be mounted on:
6.5CM bolt gun for up to 1k yards on steel targets
Hog hunting and varmint rifle for a few hundred yards
SHTF rifle (AR or FAL)

I use ELIR-3 for laser illiuminator (3 o'clock in the below pic). Works out to 600yds ... if you want to go further, you can either go full power with PEQ-15 or LED route.

What is the use case for the aiming laser ??

3yN7glkh.jpg

I run a Steiner SPIR and DBAL-D2's. They'll illuminate out to 600-700 very well and to 1200+ on reflective stuff like painted steel or animals eyes. In the worst light conditions I can spot reflection on eyes and once located be able make out a body shape well enough to ID and engaged to about 900.

for led illum nothing beats the spir/d2. i like full power peqs but the lasers are usually dirty/grainy unless you get lucky and get a unique one. the luna beam is typically the cleanest of all lasers ive used.

Having read a lot about that unit, I’m not sure you are going to need a lot of illumination. Let me rephrase, go out with the scope and see how it performs.... and then you’re gonna want a MAWL...

MAWL made by B.E.Meyers. In training we have run them against other illuminators at distance while shooting mounted 22s, 24s, 27s and new Gen 30s. The uniformity of the illumination and focus is excellent. Even the IR laser is cleaner and more uniform than PEQs and DBALs.

MAWL made by B.E.Meyers. In training we have run them against other illuminators at distance while shooting mounted 22s, 24s, 27s and new Gen 30s. The uniformity of the illumination and focus is excellent. Even the IR laser is cleaner and more uniform than PEQs and DBALs.

See, that's what I'm talking about.

I've owned a PVS-30 before but not a MAWL. I'm trying to imagine how one would properly mount and utilize the MAWL if the PVS-30 has basically eaten all of the remaining top rail space... which a 30 definitely does do.

I ordered an ELIR-3, thanks for the advice.

While the 30 is amazing, I want to stretch its legs to 1000+ yards. On white steel I do not think it should be too much of an issue, but the paint on the targets gets beaten up quickly, that is the reason for the illuminator. The aiming laser is more for hog hunting. I use a FAL, with a red dot. figured it would be faster for closer ranges. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Hey Elwar - I’m in a similar boat to you, I recently picked up a PVS-30 and have used it a time or two for steel. I’ll let others chime in here if they disagree, but I have actually had the best luck using black paint on my plates. I have found that lighter colors at distance glow similarly to the dirt on the mountains out here (I shoot in Utah) which can make plates really hard to find. When I shoot at black painted steel, the mountain still glows, but there is a pretty distinct black void where the plate stands. YMMV, but I figured I’d share my experience. IR glow sticks on T-posts are pretty hard to miss if you want to mark your targets that way as well.

I haven’t run an illuminator at long range so maybe white makes more sense with a laser - I’m sure someone else here can chime in on that.

When I've tried steel with NV at 1,000 ... I rode down and put ir-beacons on the target ... that worked.

As to using aiming laser at short distance for hogs, yes that works, it is faster! But you can use any laser for that, don't need an expensive combo unit. Put the ELIR-3 on the bolt gun for long distance and and a separate aiming laser on the hog gun for short distance fast engagement.

I have two laser max ir-lasers from amazon ... they are cheapo .. but they are still working after 4 years. These days they are around $160 a piece including the pressure pad. Neither of my pressure pads will work any more, but the on/off switches do. The units are not water proof, so I clean the contacts with isopropyl when I change the batts.
Step up from that is Steiner CQBL those are around $700 on Amazon last time I looked.

I got a paq-4 on ebay for $400 around 3 years ago ... that is roughly equivalent to the CQBL. The PAQ-4 is a little lighter, but also a little larger and does not have a vis light laser for zeroing support.

for led illum nothing beats the spir/d2. i like full power peqs but the lasers are usually dirty/grainy unless you get lucky and get a unique one. the luna beam is typically the cleanest of all lasers ive used.

Never had hands on the Spir. Is it a better outfit than the luna?

Never had hands on the Spir. Is it a better outfit than the luna?

I have both.

The SPIR is an LED illumination output and to my eyes a more "pure" light. It's a cleaner look that makes it easier to see individual objects. The ELIR-3 is laser based and appears more grainy. They both have plenty of throw. The SPIR is much bigger and heavier, but also seems to be more rugged. The downrange signature if the SPIR is much greater though.

I use my SPIR more, but don't plan on selling either. Would love to try out a MAWL.

Reactions: Nate O.
Question for the NV Jedi Masters ( you know who you are...?!) when you speak fondly of the SPIR are you referring to a class 1 "civilian" model or a "full power" military version? (Or is there even such a distinction with LED illuminators?)

Last edited:
Since LEDs are LEDs and not lasers ... LEDs are not subject to the same rules as lasers ...

Thanks guys, I may have a line on a PEQ 15 for under 1k, so may buy that for my AR.

If it's solid and it works with no problems and is the full power unit, yeah, that'll get the job done. I like PEQ2's but I got 'em way back when and they were cheaper, but about 1k. 1k for a 15 is pretty good, but you want one in excellent shape. You can't get warranty work done on 'em so get a good one. And not a knock off, geez, there's far more knockoff 15's than there are legit 15's. With the 2's, there weren't many, if any, copies or fakes that looked close enough to fool you. I've seen fake 15's that you couldn't tell until you used it.

That's definitely what you want for a PVS30 though. An IR laser illuminator on high for the longer distances. That 30 will really reach out there so make the best of it.

I've owned a PVS-30 before but not a MAWL. I'm trying to imagine how one would properly mount and utilize the MAWL if the PVS-30 has basically eaten all of the remaining top rail space... which a 30 definitely does do.

You would want to keep your MAWL, PEQ, DBal, etc. off of the front rail or front accessory rail if at all possible, so no worry about rail space.

Get this or something like it: http://nightforceoptics.com/accessory-platforms

Mounting your Illum / Laser onto a RAP or similar will get you 3 things:
1 - WAY, way easier to reach and manipulate controls while behind the gun.
2- If you are using an IR Laser pointer (or visible ) mounting down the handguard or front accessory rail will get you a ton of movement off zero due to flex in the forend or forend rail if you are bracing hard or getting into a bipod hard. Using the RAP will do away with any flex/POI shift issues.
3 - Will do away with any worry about crowding around your NV on primary 12 o'clock rail

Also, if you are just practicing on steel and want simple at distance, get some IR Chem Lights. We use them at all advanced classes. They are cheap and work like a champ.

./