• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR illuminator for digital night vision scope

MBanning

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
NC
I recently ordered a Super Yoter R 2-8x35 thermal scope. It is backordered at the moment and while waiting I decided to pick up a Sightmark Wraith digital night vision scope to play with.
For a $400 Amazon scope I have actually been quite impressed. My plan was to drop it in the PX when my thermal ships but I'm going to hang on to it. My only complaint is the IR illuminator that is provided. The illuminator itself isn't bad but it eats batteries like candy and the rechargable 123A batteries get drained even faster.
I have looked online a bit at illuminators and there is a huge range of choices. I am looking for some recommendations. The provided illumination is decent but I would like a bit farther throw, larger rechargable batteries (or better yet, be able to run on an external power pack), not too big and bulky, and windage and elevation adjustment to align the light.
What has worked for you?
Thanks for looking, MBanning

Check out the sniper hog light coyote cannon
I run one and it does well but it's a big IR

Reactions: MBanning
From what I’ve read, 850 will reach out much farther than 940. So, if you want to see/shoot at longer ranges, the 850 is the better option. Like was mentioned, sometimes it seems the 850 can be seen by certain animals and startle them, and have a faint glow (even though humans won’t be able to see it) but I have yet to get an external IR for my NV rig. I will probably get an AGM Sioux 850, or 940. Haven’t figured that part out yet. Will probably end up with both over time and see which one works best. Probably start with an 850 and if it spooks anything, order a 940 for closer hunting.

Reactions: MBanning