• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IR laser illuminator for SCAR 17 and Barrett m82

thedude824

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
Tampa FL
I'm new to NV and will be getting a TNVC white phosphor PVS14 on an Ops Core helmet. I know people typically use ARs, but Im trying to get used to using the SCAR 17 as my main training rifle. Id also like an IR laser/illuminator on my Barrett M82 for various larping/internet commando/me against the world fantasy. I was thinking of using the DBAL D2 since they are reasonably priced and relatively powerful. I can get 2 for the price of a MAWL. Anyone confident in their ability to hold up to either rifle? The SCAR has an adjustable gas regulator if that matters. Second, would it be feasible to hit man sized targets at say 200 yards using this setup? I plan on moving to a Knights PVS30 for the Barrett later in the year, but I'd like to play cool guy now if I could. Also if moving up to a MAWL is substantially better at reaching my goals its certainly not out of the question. I appreciate any insight. Im sure I'll be using the NV with ARs too, but that situation seems pretty straightforward. Thank you all.

Edit to say - I'm also interested in the full power PEQ15 and PERST 3, but I have seen any in the 50 pages of the exchange and the only site selling the PERST 3 now wants $2500. I was thinking a full power unit makes sense for the Barrett at the very least

Last edited:
Is there a forum/site that has LE/MIL PEQ15's for sale? I didnt see any in like 50 pages of the exchange.

The Full power Dball A2 is what I prefer. Really good illumination thats clean, and laser and it's easy to adjust.

Not sure if L3 is doing heavy duty potting on new production MFALs, will leave that for someone better informed, however "back in the day" we only ever used NAVSEA potted LA-5 units. LA-5Ds or LA-5E UHPs - they were more robust overall, not sure about what is fact or fiction with them regarding "reinforced wiring" or "better quality polymers" but for sure they were chockfull of potting material.

That said, you could probably get away with a simpler PEQ or LA5 but over time it'll shake the shit out of the internals or wont hold any sort of zero, I can speak to that for sure having shot a few heavier recoiling 762 weapons (well, Mk48s) that ate baby PEQs.

And if you're LE/MIL check out Steele Industries, Costa Defense, Goonin Gear, Licentia Arms Co, or Kosher/Custom NV they all have various LE/MIL MFALs but some (all?) of them typically only want a LE department head and address to ship the unit or a unit order and not just individual creds.

Reactions: thedude824
A friend at work brought up a good point. My neck is garbage following a 4 level cervical fusion. Im not sure ai could even tolerate a helmet mounted unit. Certainly not to the point that I would need to be proficient. As you mentioned all of the LE/MIL sales want only agency sales. I think Im going to do a PVS30 and Kiji first. Knights said they would absolutely warranty the unit on a SCAR and M82. I think it would be awesome on an MRAD too. The PVS30 and a plain illuminator means no chance of losing zero.