• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IR Laser Zero

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I picked up a DBAL A3 for my LMT 11.5" 5.56 SBR. My Eotech sits 3.5" HOB to optic centerline. With a 50yd zero and XM193 ammo, this is my trajectory:

0-150yds peaks at +3.9"
150-300yds max drop -4.8"
300-400yds max drop -24.2"

I am leaning towards a converging zero vs parallel zero. Therefore, what should my laser zero be? I am thinking 100yds for less downward divergence past 100.

My 8" 300blk that I shoot subsonic with, I picked up a TNVC TOR Mini IR laser. With a 3.5" HOB and 25yd zero, this is my trajectory:

0-120yds max drop -6.5"
120-200yds max drop -38"

After 120yds, the round significantly starts to drop. At 150yds I am at -15.5", so in that 30yds of space is a lot of play. I've hit bigger gongs at 200 with subs, but it's just not quite as practical on that type of target. A silhouette type target would be pretty easy to hit at 200yds still, so I want to factor that for the laser.

With a converging zero in mind, what are my best options for each setup?

You’ll never use your laser to take a shot over 100 yards. Heck, I don’t use it for anything outside of 50 yards. It’s ideally made for close-in when you don’t want to fight to get a semi-cheek weld with your NODs and RDS.

Best use is to converge zero at 200+ yards. Quick, easy, dirty, simple and unless you need to designate targets at greater ranges, you’ll never need anything more.

I used to run my work PEQ-2 and Attila out to 300 meters. Had a blast shooting E-types with my little M4.

Reactions: LRRPF52
What type of terrain do you have around you?

What are your most likely engagement distances at night?

What type of terrain do you have around you?

What are your most likely engagement distances at night?

Midwest- so mostly flat with wide open land and or thick woods. For example, hunting coyotes I sit on the edge of a tree line and watch a field. That field could be anywhere from 60-200 yards in most cases.