• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR Off road lights?

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
Does anyone have a suggestion or a source for IR off road lights that dont cost more than I paid for the NV in the first place? I have seen some light bars that are in the $3000 range and for the recreational hill billy like me thats a bit much.

Re: IR Off road lights?

It might be worth it if it keeps Apaches from making their runs in your direction. Those things are downright scary when viewed from the front.
laugh.gif

I believe Golight makes an IR cover for thier search lights. They have a cheap pan/tilt light that you can mount to the roof of your rig.

You may also check Ebay for IR light covers. There is a guy that use to sell military surplus lens covers that can be fitted to your existing lights.

For the recreational hill billy? Try some of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/96-led-infrared-illumination-light-for-night-vision-dc-12v-41108

The price is pretty cheap at around $30 and so long as you're using decent NV gear, the output is more than enough. I believe they are a bit directional though so you may need more than one and may want to offset them a little and guard as best as you can against near-field reflection.

But the last time I recommended some like this to someone ( I think it was on this forum ) it worked out pretty well.

Anyway, the price is low enough to experiment with.
smile.gif

Regards
David

I made my own. Good light out to 100 yards or a little more. Works good in the overcast woods around here. Might not be as good for more open terrain/faster driving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made my own. Good light out to 100 yards or a little more. Works good in the overcast woods around here. Might not be as good for more open terrain/faster driving. </div></div>

Any pics or at least a list of components? I went to Radio Shack and got some IR LED's and switched out the white LED's in a head lamp but I'm sure I would need something bigger for off road lights.

I use a pair of military surplus IR lights. These are surplus originally off of APC type vehicles. I have had mine for quite a few years but they should still be available on the surplus market. Sites that cater to surplus military vehicles should carry them. The beam is flood type. Good place to start looking is steelsoldiers.com
fortmac042.jpg

I use a single Lightforce Lance 140 on the driver side fender of my Jeep Wrangler.

I just needed enough light to see the road in front driver side. I then installed one of their IR filter covers which is almost as expensive as the light itself. I also have to be careful because the covers can pop off on bumpy roads (I already lost a clear filter).

I had to switch to a lower wattage bulb and it was a pain to find the single lamp by itself. I use two Lightforce Strikers on the bumper.

The setup cost me around 200-250 for parts, wires, switches, bulbs, etc.

As long it is a conventional bulb(halogen, etc) just place a gel behind the lens. Wratten number 87 through 89B. Make sure it watertight as a lot of gels dissolve in H20

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also use exposed film or the data part of floppy disks </div></div>

Great idea, Floppy disks?? Those like old vinyl record albums.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor-TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also use exposed film or the data part of floppy disks </div></div>

Great idea, Floppy disks?? Those like old vinyl record albums.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Look up DIY IR filter in Google e.g. here for using a floppy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I made my own. Good light out to 100 yards or a little more. Works good in the overcast woods around here. Might not be as good for more open terrain/faster driving. </div></div>

Any pics or at least a list of components? I went to Radio Shack and got some IR LED's and switched out the white LED's in a head lamp but I'm sure I would need something bigger for off road lights. </div></div>

It will cost you way more than $30 to buy some good IR leds. Those 96 LED outdoor illuminators are pretty bright and dirt cheap. They are designed for digital camera systems and have more than enough light for Gen3. You could make your own still - though I doubt you'll save any money -

David

I can get you some of the IR LED modules that go in the Ibis Tek lightbars that are now in use on the HMMWV. These are dual voltage for 12v-24v automotive applications. They are inside an aluminum housing, mounting brackets will have to be made by you for your application. Seven IR LED's inside.

My cost is around $75 each from a local surplus source. When they are gone, they are gone, I am NOT a dealer for these I just happen to have an "in" on a limited quantity.

I can't tell you the field of view, etc. on them because I don't have any functional NVG to test it with right now. Since they are for vehicle mounting (IBIS bars use two IR arrays) i'd assume they are at least bright enough to drive by in a convoy. Maybe someone here who has driven a rig with these on it while on duty can comment on them.

PM me if you want some, these are ITAR so USA only.

78%25252520Halogen%252525203.JPG
they are inset in the dark squares in the lightbar on ibis tek bars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get you some of the IR LED modules that go in the Ibis Tek lightbars that are now in use on the HMMWV. </div></div>

Do they come with the bar? That's a truly awesome price if they do - Those bars look pretty cool too!

David

Check out magnalight.com, Rob is a customer of mine and has been awarded several military contracts but to what all products I do not know. He has a vast line or iR products from hand held to vehicle mount and quality on all products is top notch. I have not had any experience with any of the vehicle iR lights but I do have one of his hand held units and from personal experience can say that it can easily double as a driving light/area search. He also has a magnetic mount but I have not used it. Below is a link to light I have, check out his other offerings also.

http://www.magnalight.com/pc-48406-186-i...on--3-watt.aspx

To expand on my last post here are a few pics of the two illuminators I'm currently using. One is TNVC.COM torch unit that has and adjustable beam and is weapon mountable. You can check out all specs from there website and their customer service is second to none. The second unit is a hand held unit from magna light.com. The pics were taken out my back door and the first fence is only 15 yards away. The second tree line is 125yards away. I will retake these across and open field for a better example. The pics were taken using a Nikon D5100 with a 18-55mm lens, TNVC.COM camera adaptor and a ITT NEPVS 14-17 pinnacle night enforcer. Please feel free to offer up and photo tips, I'm still learning to use the PVS with the DSLP.

no illumination for reference
DSC_0409.jpg

TNVC torch wide flood
DSC_0410.jpg

TNVC torch narrow spot
DSC_0411.jpg

Magnalight iR LED pistol grip spotlight
DSC_0412.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hs338lapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just built this today. I can't vouch for the lights themselves but I sure hope they work!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3283564&#Post3283564 </div></div>

Thats some pretty slick fab work. I barrow my uncles gen three scope all the time and would love to have a good IR setup. Post up some pics for sure!

Check this supplier out

Does anyone have a suggestion or a source for IR off road lights that dont cost more than I paid for the NV in the first place? I have seen some light bars that are in the $3000 range and for the recreational hill billy like me thats a bit much.

High Powered IR LED Spot Light - 54W, 850nm | Specialty LED Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

30" Off Road LED Light Bar with Spot/Flood Combo Beam - 90W - Cosmetic Blemish | Heavy Duty Work Lights | Super Bright LEDs

From David's suggestion above using these lights: Cheap 96-LED InfraRed Illumination Light for Night Vision (DC 12V)

I'm also thinking maybe a pair of these might work:CMVision IR30 WideAngle IR Illuminator - Amazon.com For that price, it would be worth the try

I'm wondering if it would be as simple as connecting a 12v DC cigarette lighter plug to these? I think I remember reading where some resistors would have to be put inline to keep the bulbs from blowing???

Anyone tried this?

Well, as I was typing this, I talked myself into ordering 3 of those from Amazon to try. I'll let y'all know how it works out. Just got to figure out wiring them into the 12v DC buggy without blowing them up. Anyone know any good electrical engineers that could chime in?

Working on mounting these on my new rzr. Think two Hellfighters will put out enough light to drive by? ;)

Took a test run and as I expected driving with pvs14 is no picknik! I need to get a dual mount or other binocular nv setup.

Attachments

• hellfire.jpg
    hellfire.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 27
Working on mounting these on my new rzr. Think two Hellfighters will put out enough light to drive by? ;)

Took a test run and as I expected driving with pvs14 is no picknik! I need to get a dual mount or other binocular nv setup.

Haha, that will look sweet! I have never actually seen one of these in person, how do these work? Tight beam, wider spill or is it adjustable?

Used that light many times overseas on a minigun. We used to call it "the eye of allah" because it never failed to stop them in their tracks when we turned it on the jingle truck drivers. Driving with NODs takes a bit of getting used to, especially a 14. Dual tube/15's really is the way to go but you still have to get used to the lack of depth perception.

PS: I hope you are running a second battery on your RZR as there is no way the stator on the RZR will even come close to running those and all the other electrical items you have going on at night.If you need a DIY 2nd solution for a dual battery set up shoot me a PM and I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

How do you plan on powering them both? As far as I can tell the RZR's battery may only handle one and you had better be moving!
That big light will drain that small ATV battery. I have the Hellfighter as well with IR lens and the same RZR model as you picture.
In the process of coming up with a good mounting system for it.

Please share what you come up with. Do you know the power consumption for a hellfighter? I probably won't have time to build mounts and figure out wiring and power details until late Jan.

How do you plan on powering them both? As far as I can tell the RZR's battery may only handle one and you had better be moving!
That big light will drain that small ATV battery. I have the Hellfighter as well with IR lens and the same RZR model as you picture.
In the process of coming up with a good mounting system for it.

Contact UTVinc, they can fab up a mount if one of their existing ones doesn't work for you.You need dash bar/pillar light mounts. I'll tell you what I told throttleJ. Autotrends wire harness(Autotrend EFI - UTV Fuse/Relay Block) a PAC-200 battery isolator and a second battery wired up as shown.

pillar light mounts: http://utvinc.com/utv-inc-polaris-rzr-rzr-s-rzr-4-a-pillar-light-mounts-blk/

97p5pd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

In the name of the father, son, holy spirit and google amen

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
I've been using these on my old series Land Rover for awhile. Nothing visible to the naked eye and enough watts to illuminate far enough for highway speed. They are fantastic.

Rigid d series IR driving lights.

Sorry, new member, couldn't post the link but a search will get you to their website easily enough.

Can’t you make your own filter ? Take out the lense from a normal light and coat the back sight of it with thick dark window tint?

There was a recent arfcom re-hashing of this as well over here and here was my response:

I'm in the process of getting mine all set up and really just have the tail/brake lights to sort out. For IR illumination, I have a pair of 850nm spots from Larson Electronics (so total is 24W) mounted up on a roof rack, pointed pretty far out. The slight splash from them is more than enough for the 20yd and in right in front of my car and having them be spots helps a ton with keeping the tubes from dialing down like you see in some setups with too much close illumination. They have plenty of range and going 65mph+ is not a problem at all. I generally feel safer driving with NVG and IR than I do with normal headlights. The added visibility to the sides and in the distance far exceeds what typical headlights provide.

I started with one of their 940nm units about 4yr ago on a magnet base, and found the performance lacking with all my gen3 devices. Ended up sending it back to them to swap out for 850s and have it up on top of a buddy's side-by-side for cruising around his farm. Ended up finding a really great deal on another pair of two of them a few weeks ago and couldn't resist grabbing them for my new photo-van. Here is the seller on eBay that had a bunch of their gear for huge discounts - check the item descriptions to clarify spot/flood 850/940 etc.

I ordered 2yd of black polarfleece fabric from Amazon and a roll of sticky velcro - sewed the loop side to the top of the fabric and cut it to fit the instruments and stereo/AC clusters. I just have a strip of the hook running across the top of those areas that doesn't look too out of place. If you had a more luxurious interior, maybe you could get fancy by pulling the dash back and installing some strong magnets or steel bars, then sewing magnets into the fabric. That'd be quieter too for on/off. I made another little cover for my light control panel down next to the steering wheel, as it lights up pretty bright too. I also just got some vinyl fabric covers for all three of the lights up top, as it's ticketable here in PA to have uncovered lights above the hood.

I've heard of guys getting fuse switches that'll let you run an on/off somewhere within reach to be able to cut power to the brakelights, but haven't gone down that path yet myself. There's also steerable/controllable IR pods if you wanted to park somewhere and shine it around looking for stuff - thermal pods too. I just wanted to comfortably be able to drive dark and light up a range with IR if needed. Otherwise just get familiar with the DRL, parking and interior light settings for your car so that you don't sneakily drive up somewhere then light up like a christmas tree or start beeping as soon as you go to step out.

UXB01qdh.jpg

WtWc9UHh.jpg

I also added red and white task lights to the back of the van. Very awesome to have some low-level illumination for gear fondling at the range:

Sik5yoVh.jpg

I carry Baja Designs, they make IR lighting. I don't know how much output you need to go with your night vision. They've got a pretty wide range of options. I would think just a few small pods would do it? Their bars put out a wild amount of light.