• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR remote illumination

Jim Out

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2020
Tucson
Does anyone have any experience setting remote IR illumination at known distances/locations to allow passive NV to see better without using a long range illuminator?

Surely someone in Texas that shoots over bait has already thought of this? :unsure:

I looked at TNVC and NG and all I saw was the Rigid 32.2w products for vehicle use.

I want to set up a solar or battery, probably 12v, to run a 10w - 30w IR.

I see this stuff on ebay, but I'm not finding 940nm, I guess I can live with the glow if it's not attached to me, but I'd like to get it right the first time if possible.

10W 10 watt IR 940nm Infra-red Round High Power LED Chip Bead bulb Lamp 4-5V

Input Voltage: 4-5V DC

Power: 10W 3 series by 3 parallel

Power Consumption: 10W

Current: 1050mA constant input

LED qty: 9pcs 1w high intensity chip LED

Lumen output: 1000Lm

Color temperature: IR 940NM

Beam Anlge: 145degree

Package:

1pcs 10W Round 940NM led chip

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SuperBright has a fairly good reputation, this package is only $70.

Unfortunately, it's 850nm.

This infrared LED light bar works with night vision goggles and cameras to dramatically increase visibility while maintaining stealth. The IR light bar emits an 850-nanometer wavelength of energy that is nearly invisible to the naked eye. 2 rows 18 LEDs produce a 35° beam pattern from the 11” bar. A rugged polycarbonate lens and aluminum housing with integrated heat sink keep the internal components protected and cool. Adjustable stainless steel mounting brackets and installation hardware are included. Featured Bottom Bullets:

Product Details:
  • Includes pigtail connector
  • Installation hardware included
  • Operating temperature: -40 to +122 °F
  • Rated IP67 for wet conditions
  • 12-28 VDC
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's a HomeDepot $40 12v 940nm

Product Overview​

This is an Indoor/Outdoor IR Illuminator. This illuminator offers an 60° field of illumination at a range of up to 45 ft. with a total of 6 powerful LED’s. 100% completely covert with 940nm Invisible Light. This illuminator is weather resistant for outdoor use and is IP67 compliant. DC12V. Power supply does not included.
  • IR LED’s: 6-pieces high power LED IR lights
  • 100% completely covert with 940nm LED wavelength (invisible light)
  • Structure: aluminum body
  • 60° field of illumination at a range of up to 45 ft.
  • Waterproof level: IP67
  • Power input: DC 12-Volt/1 Amp (plug size 5.5 x 2.1 mm) power adapter not included
--------------------------------

This is a little more than I'd like to spend at $229 a pair, so a little over a hunnert each plus a power supply

$199 a pair for flood

Environmental Specifications​

Operating Temperature Range
-40C to 155C
Power Source
9-36V
Light Source
OSRAM LED
Light Wavelength
940 nm
Compatible With
Gen3 Night Vision;Digital Night Vision
Mean Time to Failure

---------------------------------------------------
*****WARNING ------NERD-OUT----USE PRONHUBLINK IF NECESSARY*****

OSRAM LED Light Wavelength 940 nm

Osram Opto Semiconductors is expanding its proven Oslon Black portfolio for infrared illumination with the addition of an infrared LED with a narrower beam angle of ± 25°. Thanks to the new SFH 4718A IRED, illumination units for camera systems with a medium capture range no longer require secondary optics. The Oslon Black family now offers a wide selection for the most varied of infrared-based applications, taking in four power classes, three wavelengths and three beam angles.

“With the addition of the SFH 4718A, the Oslon Black portfolio now comprises three wavelengths (810 nm, 850 nm and 940 nm) and three beam angles (±25°, ±45° and ±75°). These are flanked by four different power levels, with optical outputs ranging from 0.3 W right through to 2 W”, said Jörg Heerlein, Marketing Emitter Laser Sensor at Osram Opto Semiconductors. “Since all the products are based on the same package, the emitters are easy to combine. And since the footprint remains identical, an existing design can also be easily upgraded with a new variant.”

https://www.osram.com/ecat/OSLON®%20Black%20SFH%204718A/com/en/class_pim_web_catalog_103489/prd_pim_device_2219997/

• IR lightsource with high efficiency up to 50%
  • very compact SMT package with integrated lenses (+/-25°, +/- 40°, +/- 75°) for dense clustering
  • Low thermal resistance
  • 850nm and 940nm wavelength available
  • Industry and automotive grade product family available
  • long lifetime up to 50.000 h

Last edited:
I am not in Texas, but I have done this. I used a pair of T-20 illum zipped tied to branches about 50 yds apart, facing towards each other but aimed slightly down, where I had placed the "bait" (critters of mine that had been killed by yotes). I could then check the area with my PVS-14 from my kitchen window without opening the window. If I saw something, I could crank open the window and engage with the rifle already mounted on the tripod and aimed out that window. This was Feb 2020 one time I did this (I did it later in May also) and it was cold, so having not having to open the window to check the area with thermal first, was a good thing :D
I would go out and turn them off in the mornings, and change the batts, and then go back out and turn them on in the evenings. It worked !
But doing that enabled me to bounce up and down all night for a week checking the area (after the yotes got one of my calves, shown in another thread, which was the bait) and I got 4 yotes back there that week. I didn't buy anything special, I just made use of what I already had on hand.

The ir leds from some cheap "night vision" security cameras would probably work well. Or wire up some ir leds off ebay. Since you are going for more flood and not spot as much, I'd do that. I've been thinking of putting some in my tree lines hooked up to solar chargers.

Reactions: Jim Out
I have black oak, but 850 nm. They need filters badly. Bout $200 for a pair. I was annoyed they didnt come with a harness for 2 lights, but instead 2 separate harnesses. Not a big deal but all my rigid lights have a 2 light harness...

A motion sensor trigger would be nice. I use a few of those solar powered white lights around the property, wonder what it would take to swap out the bulbs to IR?

To bad that none of the motion activated hog kill light manufactures do not make one with IR leds.

Try Super Circuits for IR lighting.

Years ago I set up a battery operated driveway monitor tied to a red spot light that was powered by a couple of 100' extension cords. It monitored my bait pile. While it worked it was less than desirable as the driveway monitor was not great at picking up everything.

I switched to IR cameras. I picked up some longer range IR cameras from Super Circuits and mounted them around the house. They are tied to monitors in the house. They easily pick up eye shine at 100 yards and I can clearly make out yotes from foxes at 85 yards. When I see eye shine I head to the window with the PVS14 with 3x magnifier to see what is happening. FYI on calm quiet nights Anderson 400 sliding windows make to much noise when opening.. I miss my Anderson crank out casements, while harder to shoot out of they were super quiet. Last year I put a round through the frame and two rounds through the glass with the 22 with the PVS14 mounted on the day scope via a monoloc. I did not realize I had not opened the window far enough. :oops: They had to go.

To bad that none of the motion activated hog kill light manufactures do not make one with IR leds.

Try Super Circuits for IR lighting.

Years ago I set up a battery operated driveway monitor tied to a red spot light that was powered by a couple of 100' extension cords. It monitored my bait pile. While it worked it was less than desirable as the driveway monitor was not great at picking up everything.

I switched to IR cameras. I picked up some longer range IR cameras from Super Circuits and mounted them around the house. They are tied to monitors in the house. They easily pick up eye shine at 100 yards and I can clearly make out yotes from foxes at 85 yards. When I see eye shine I head to the window with the PVS14 with 3x magnifier to see what is happening. FYI on calm quiet nights Anderson 400 sliding windows make to much noise when opening.. I miss my Anderson crank out casements, while harder to shoot out of they were super quiet. Last year I put a round through the frame and two rounds through the glass with the 22 with the PVS14 mounted on the day scope via a monoloc. I did not realize I had not opened the window far enough. :oops: They had to go.
I looked at their site and it looked like they didn't have illuminators?

What wavelength and wattage are you using?

Does a fixed position light @ 840 spook varmints?

It looks like the 840 is a lot brighter to NV than the 950 at 1w.

840 v 950 1w brightness comparison image

51jonf.jpg

Has anyone used Larsen?

Last edited:

I've used these for almost 6 years now.
Even at 940nm , which is zero vis, because of wattage can easily drive blacked out at highway speeds.

Best damned IR I've ever used for driving or Illuminating a large area for observation.

Reactions: Jgunner