• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IRA Lowers Technical Question

canuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2008
49.279785,-123.115566
I have a functional question regarding the IRA .308 lowers:

On the website, they list two different specs for the lower - one for the Armalite system and one for the DPMS system. Prices are comparable, and I've heard fantastic endorsements of the product.

My query goes to the differences between the specs. What are they? That is, what are the functional differences between the Armalite system and the DPMS system that would necessitate different spec builds?

Also, what if I obtain an upper by another manufacturer? (Colt, Bushmaster, and so on...)

Canuck

Re: IRA Lowers Technical Question

the lowers have a different shape on the rear, and they take different mags. DPMS and Armalite upper and lower reciever, BCG (I think, don't quote me), and magazine parts are not interchangeable.

DPMS mags are the "KAC" (Knights Armament Co.)/stoner style

Armalite mags are modified m14/m1a mags.

The biggest difference functionally is the use different Mags, and due to the lower design are only compatible with compatible uppers. One advantage to the armalite is you can mod M1 mags to work with it. The downside is most companies have gone to the DPMS platform the last couple of years and there are more parts/options available for them.

IE you can't put a DPMS upper on an AR10 lower (well you can but there's an ugly open gap. That or it's the other way around AR10 upper on DPMS lower gives a gap I forget which.

Might be more subtle issues but that's what I remember off the top of my skull

A side note on this. I'm friends with the owner and just left the shop. Something to keep in mind is that they're working on IRA uppers as well which will be DPMS style.
So if you get the lower and don't already have an Armalite upper, going with the DPMS lower will give the option of using their uppers when they're ready.
BTW, all bias aside, they're beautiful lowers.

Hell yeah they're beautiful.

I ordered two on the group buy and am in the process of tracking down parts. I knew the market went crazy after the election but didn't realize how bad until I started trying to find parts for an AR10.