• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Iran Hostage Rescue... the untold story!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So... Jim is one of my best friends in the world. A guy with whom I would share my toothbrush circumstances warranted. We go back to far before I want to admit.

Jim was part of Det. A., Special Forces Berlin. His book on SF Berlin has topped the Amazon charts for military history/SF books off and on for several years.

His new book tells the story of Operation Eagle Claw (Iran Hostage Rescue) from the Tehran side. While Delta was moving in from Desert One, the folks from Berlin were already waiting in Tehran to handle... "Stuff."

His new book cleared the proper reviews after about a year. It is superb. I've read it and made a few notes... you know. From a marketing perspective. To help sales. Because, marketing.

If you want one of the great reads of 2024 when it comes out... preorder from Casemate. Sadly, no hardcover like Berlin. But we can work with a softcover to tell the story.

When it comes out, if anyone wants a signed bookplate, hit me up. I'll make it happen. Jim signs stuff.

If anyone wants to know the 'other side' of Desert One... well here ya go!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Not affiliated with Casemate... Don't make anything off this. Not selling anything. But supporting a brother here. So... delete if you need to LL and Mods. Or not. I'd appreciate the 'not' side. But do what you have to do!

How can I purchase in our native currency, not in silly ol quid?
Give a few days and it will come up...

Check the Casemate Website. It'll be there.

I may have jumped the gun for US sales. But it will be there. It "may" be on Amazon already. But have not checked. Preorder just opened. So if I jumped the gun on any order sites... My bad. It will come up on Amazon for sure.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ah yes, its on Amazon for preorder (I did), with 1July scheduled delivery. Thanks for the suggestion, looking forward to it.

Looking forward to this. If I recall, Wade testified before the Congressional committee on Waco, where he was very critical of the ATF’s actions. I seem to remember him saying, “They didn’t even have an oh-sh*t plan for CASEVAC."

House of Representatives Investigation into Waco, 1996

He’s referenced in there discussing how they didn’t take Koresh up on his offer to have the treasury agents come do a compliance inspection, which Koresh had agreed to. Wade said this was a total mistake on their part as they could have been able to see what was inside, the layout of the building, etc.

iu

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
Close relative knew/worked with U.S. Army Colonel Charlie Beckwith. It's of the opinion - 'They' fk'd him at the highest levels on Operation Eagle Claw. They didn't want this operation to succeed. 'They' gave him helicopters with no sand screens on the intake. Hence the engine failures in the desert.
Col wanted to move forward since they still had 5 working of the original 8; but Carter called it off. They only needed 4 (see article below)
Close relative said the Col was one hell of man. Wounded with a 50cal in Vietnam, Col still moved forward.
Jimmy Carter was a disgrace to America. Jimmy screamed when a bunny rabbit was swimming and tried to get into his canoe. Carter wanted the secret service to shoot it. Fk you Jimmy and FK you Jane Fonda

I know a guy that was his 1st deployment on that operation as AC-130 gunner. He said that was a hell of a way to start.

Reactions: jrassy
Another member of Operation Eagle Claw, Logan FItch. Logan retired as a Sr VP at Wachovia Securities. Never made me much money, but great to visit with.

Ordered, we will see who gives the first review.

Currently I am doing something I NEVER have done in the past, read two books at one time.

I just started Animal Farm, I think that one will be a "fun" read. And I am re reading We dared win, SAS in Rhodesia. I have read this one before.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

Currently I am doing something I NEVER have done in the past, read two books at one time.

I just started Animal Farm, I think that one will be a "fun" read. And I am re reading We dared win, SAS in Rhodesia. I have read this one before.

Any comments on the SAS in Rhodesia, I read a similar book the Selous Scouts, Based on your reading, is it worth the purchase?

the cartoon kicks ass as well. I mean 'animated' version. :)

Any comments on the SAS in Rhodesia, I read a similar book the Selous Scouts, Based on your reading, is it worth the purchase?

This is the second time through, this one, I read it a couple years ago I guess. I remember some spots but not others. It was good but not the "real" good one I was looking for.
I am about halfway in, it seem to be to be a little disjointed. I don't have a good feel for a time line. He does give dates, I just finished a part about a new years day raid in 1977, and he is talking about the failed talks in Switzerland, and how Ian Smith is trying to play nice, so more rules of engagement. These terrorists, and that is how the book talks about Zanla terrorists just took 100 black people, put them in a big building, Men here women and children there, set the weapons to automatic and just hosed down the men. When the men started to moan and groan out with the bayonets. Then the boys are used as mules to haul away all the booty and back to Mozambique they go.

There are some really funny stories in there, I don't want to ruin them for you, but the elephant was funny.

There is not a large amount to choose from here. I have done a few, but I need to check my list to give you titles. There is one I found just outstanding if you are interested in the subject. I will see if I can remember what it was, at worst I will pass on my list.

If you are interested in this stuff you might find this guy interesting. I really enjoy his stories, one of the few youtube channels I actually watch on a regular basis.

1712312974022.png

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Reactions: mildot326
Oh and Mike Hoare's books are really worth the read. I just found Wild Geese on Youtube for free, and that was really written around him and his activities. There are a couple really good things on Congo I have found but I don't want to mess up this thread any more then I already have.

Oh and Mike Hoare's books are really worth the read. I just found Wild Geese on Youtube for free, and that was really written around him and his activities. There are a couple really good things on Congo I have found but I don't want to mess up this thread any more then I already have.

Please post!!! All good discussions.

Sirhr

Please post!!! All good discussions.

Sirhr
K, we have a book report thread and I try to be active in there, I did not want to mess yours up about this specific book.

When I get home tonight and checkout my list I will post them up.

I enjoyed “The Guts to Try: The Untold Story of the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission by the On-scene Desert Commander.”

Look forward to comparing with your friend’s book.

The Iran mission side of things doesn't talk about Desert One. Desert One was the assaulters headed to Tehran.

Det. A's folks were the ones already waiting in Tehran.

If anyone wants a preview, one of Jim's best fiction books (Fact-ion?) is "Appointment in Teheran."

It's available to order now. Very worthy read as are all 4 of his "fiction" books. His IRA book is especially great!

Cheers,

Sirhr