• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Iray CML25 - The $2,400 Compact Thermal Clip-On. Will The Poors Rejoice?

French1966

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2020
In my ultimate poor man’s quest for a compact budget dual-purpose thermal clip-on (used for shorter distance viewing/shooting), I stumbled on the CML25. It’s a 384 Resolution (forgive me Horta, Beloved Saint of Thermal) Clip-on that can double as a handheld and helmet mounted monocular.

Posting this discussion simply because I haven’t heard anything about it here in the US, and would like to know if anyone here has used one. Also posting because I ordered one to mess with and will post results if anyone is interested.

I’ve owned a MH25 & Super Yoter, but am searching for a cheaper multipurpose option for use at shorter distances. The RH25 isn’t an option price-wise at the moment.

I also briefly owned a Flir Breach but was quite disappointed with its ability to detect. I’m hoping this will fill a role somewhere in the middle, but I don’t have any unrealistic expectations. It’s probably best used for shorter distance clip-on and handheld use. If 30mm mounting is an option (pictured below), then it already piques my interest as it could be pretty flexible as far as mounting height. Perhaps even QDed on and off a rifle using the Aimpoint twist off magnifier mount. We’ll see…

Photos and videos linked below (not mine, I won’t have it for a few weeks).

Last edited:
Yes, the poors will most certainly rejoice, but given the issue the RH25 owners are dealing with in the other thread (and refusal of the manufacturer to support their own product), it’s hard to imagine this is a good idea.

Yes, the poors will most certainly rejoice, but given the issue the RH25 owners are dealing with in the other thread (and refusal of the manufacturer to support their own product), it’s hard to imagine this is a good idea.
Indeed. But a $2.4k gamble is perhaps not as big of a deal as a $6k gamble.

If this CML25 functions as a decent helmet mounted/handheld, then I’m already ahead of my experiences with the breach. Clip-on would just be a huge bonus. The MH25 & ML19 have proven themselves by now, and this unit is based on those.

And it’s still a bit early in the game with the RH25 to know one way or the other (in my humble opinion)

Last edited:
It is just a clip on, but the issue with trying to create a thermal that is both a clip-on and helmet mountable is that it will never be the best at either. You have to make compromises with demagnification, too much and it sucks as a monocular, too little and it sucks as a clip on. You wouldn't be able to use this on anything but a 1-4 LPVO, prism sight, or RDS. Coupled with the recent issues regarding manufacturer support, I just don't see the reason to gamble $2,400 on an low resolution Chinese thermal, when there are other guaranteed options with exceptional customer support and warranties. If money is that tight, you would be better suited using a clip on like a handheld monocular for scanning, this would maximize performance per dollar.

It is just a clip on, but the issue with trying to create a thermal that is both a clip-on and helmet mountable is that it will never be the best at either. You have to make compromises with demagnification, too much and it sucks as a monocular, too little and it sucks as a clip on. You wouldn't be able to use this on anything but a 1-4 LPVO, prism sight, or RDS. Coupled with the recent issues regarding manufacturer support, I just don't see the reason to gamble $2,400 on an low resolution Chinese thermal, when there are other guaranteed options with exceptional customer support and warranties. If money is that tight, you would be better suited using a clip on like a handheld monocular for scanning, this would maximize performance per dollar.
Your input is completely valid, but I think there is a disconnect as far as use case.

You inadvertently guessed my use case while using it as a negative talking point. I absolutely need something that’s for LPVO/Prism/RDS. My hunting distances are 150 yards (absolute max). I’m not on the great plains trying to bang steel or coyotes at 300+ yards at night. I don’t even own a rifle scope with a bell that would allow me to mount that Burris you recommended. The unit needs to be 1913 rail mountable (not optic mounted), which the CML25 will accommodate via the example photo shown in my original post.

Most of that should be a given based on the nature of the unit I’m wanting to discuss. I am not trying to compare it to any of the large clip-ons which are better suited for rifles that will be shot out to their effective ranges. I understand this is Snipershide, but not every discussion is based on mid-long distance shooting. I come here because there is always good thermal/night vision/hunting info.

*Original post edited to clarify use case.

Last edited:
I have one of these in hand for testing and evaluation. Initial thoughts seem very promising and resolution with the 1024 screen is very crisp, even with 4-6 magnification on it. Standby.

Is there a QD rail mount that works with the CML25?

I'm not familiar with much about the MH 25. So I am assuming it is a synthetic housing. More details please.

Also, does the unit feel like it is very sturdy and durable up to use.

Is there anymore feedback on the CML25 as a clip-on and monocular. I’m a little interested.

Is there anymore feedback on the CML25 as a clip-on and monocular. I’m a little interested.

If you’re looking for a light weight thermal to use as a handheld scanner and a clip on look at the iRay RL25.

I do love my C35, it’s the absolute most bang for the buck right now but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right choice for your end use.

If you’re looking for a light weight thermal to use as a handheld scanner and a clip on look at the iRay RL25.
I thought the RL 25 could be used just as a stand alone weapon mounted thermal and not as a "clip on"

Can it for a fact be used as a "clip on" thermal in front of a day optic?

Last edited:

I do love my C35, it’s the absolute most bang for the buck right now but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right choice for your end use.
The RL25 is not a clip-on. It doesn’t have the margin adjustments and is 2x base mag.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
The RL25 is not a clip-on. It doesn’t have the margin adjustments and is 2x base mag.
Yep, I did not think it had margin adjustments so you could use it as a clip on.

Was hoping at some time in the future they would do a upgrade to allow that.

The 2x base mag should not be a problem (other than narrower FOV) with Red Dots & LPVO etc as long as it had margin adjustments.

I have a friend that runs one as a clip on and it works. He works at a shop in South Georgia that is an iRay dealer.

If anyone is actually interested in the RL25, DM me and I’ll give you his contact info at the shop and you can talk to him directly.

I have a friend that runs one as a clip on and it works. He works at a shop in South Georgia that is an iRay dealer.

If anyone is actually interested in the RL25, DM me and I’ll give you his contact info at the shop and you can talk to him directly.
Thank you for posting this! I have the RL25 and have been frustrated with it as a weapon sight because of zero issues. I just clipped it in front of a low powered scope at home and I can see the image and scope crosshairs clearly and can even go up to about 4x before losing most of the field of view. I thought it could not be used as a clip-on b/c of IRAY's statements and the reasons others posted above.

Can't wait to test this. You may have just given me a work-around for my issue. Thanks again!!!

Excellent info. Thanks