• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Iray FH35RV2 Scan/LRF /with update

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    I going out tonight for couple hours to checkout a newer piece of property to call some dogs, Don't want to say much for the product yet till I get it out at least few more times really using it. So will have some solid feedback with inboard LRF.
    Size is great, finger controls on-top look to be pretty user friendly . The image no doubt be pretty good. iRay cores seems to handle the Humidity pretty good.60+ % Hum. high 30's temp. tonight, and all this weekend and coming week it going to be wet shitty typical NW fun.
    -

FH35R.jpg

-
    iray lrf.jpg

-

Took delivery of mine yesterday. Image quality is great. Don’t yet have a feel for battery life. The audio sounds pretty bad, especially when using the LRF. Luckily, sound is not that important for me in a scanner.

Reactions: softcock
    Took delivery of mine yesterday. Image quality is great. Don’t yet have a feel for battery life. The audio sounds pretty bad, especially when using the LRF. Luckily, sound is not that important for me in a scanner.
    I got a good battery runtime last night . was Not a freezing Temp. test with batteries, but I going to say I got a good 2+ hours till I got the warning with battery Icon that I was getting low. Then It stayed alive pretty close right to the 3-Hr they advertise.
    They do give you ( 2 ) rechargeable Batteries in the factory purchase package.
    Extra Batteries are Not cheep-$ either. I did not see them In-Stock on the iRayusa website. But the iRay dealer that I bought unit from did tell me they keep a few in-stock there if I wanted a 3rd or more batteries .

OK this ... batteries are a 'proprietary' design to this hand Scan unit . exposed side ( It has a 'metal' flip-latch on-top of Battery ) design that is used to grab with fingers and, twist release/remove/replace . The end of the battery that makes power contact looks like the Pic. below . iRay Battery size is about same size as those Big NL2150H nightcore rechargeable batteries .

-
    battery.jpg

-
    iray bat.jpg

-

OK.. update on the new iray Scanner/LRF.. plus
    I totally expected this, and told the IRay dealer I purchased it form on the day i picked it up that it Will Be in need of software updating because All New 1st Releases will have a problem or two that will pop-up .

OK.. the unit itself is a great little Scanner. all-around it is pulling it's weight out there in the field. Good image, lightweight, good layout of top control buttons, and not over complicated when digging into the layered menu.
    The LRF does range . checking it, the IR Diode pulse with my NV i always have on the R-eye of helmet shows a nice burst dot hitting that pretty well POA to the view screen Ret. icon. Had it out in some light rain also, and does fine. I have not checked the inboard LRF for what it is Maxing out at with Range distance but it is enough for my personal style of night hunting.

The Glitch .. and this is with the LRF ranging modes and connected with the repeating 'blinking' IR burst of Scan-Mode . So I will just make simple description of the design flaw . Also I have made contact with a few other over the weekend that have purchased, and the design flaw looks to be inherent, and not just to one unit.

All Rangefinders that I have ever used in my life . You the user have total control of when you release your IR diode burst with the push of the button .
    OK, I hope this makes sense to all reading .
    Both, mode selections on this Scanner ( Manual Range, and Scan Range ) . Are the same .
    When using both mode selected. The inboard LRF is bursts a Non-Stop blinking IR pulse of SCAN. There is no difference.
    So..If your on-screen view shows the LRF ranging Ret. and LRF turned-ON . It s constantly pulsing/blinking the diode IR burst of the SCAN mode . Even though you are not pushing the Range Control Button . Range Button is Mute with the control of releasing a diode ranging IR burst
    Also ( not Sure ? ) if even relevant ? the proximity sensor that is there on your Ocular end is not involved with the on-off function of the continual diode scan bursting .

So.. If you are Not Ranging turn OFF the LRF, because you are just burning up your battery power, and putting hours on your IR diode. While also just being a flashing Annoying Friend or Foe beacon to all your buddies around you that are running both with NV and Thermal ....LOL
    iRay service/warranty/sale in TX. is now aware and they say ...'we are working on it". and coming up with software update to be released .
    -
    ALSO.. would like to add:
    After this weekend and contacting people asking to double check on their unit and get back to me . I am amazed in how few even don't carry with, or don't even own, Traditional NV out hunting when they own Thermal . You are missing the full experience, you sick bastards .

Last edited: