• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Iron Element ELR rimfire match results

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
My Son Chris and our shooting buddy Randy Wise traveled up to North West Ohio to compete in the Iron Element ELR 22 rimfire match. They shoot 6 distances, 100, 150, 203, 295, 403 and 496 yards. They shoot 7 shots at each distance, I'm not sure of the scoring but first round hits are worth more. No sighters at any distance and each shot counts for score and there was no checking zero before the match started

There are two classes, Limited for guns with MSRP of rifle and ALL attachments $1200 or less, Open is anything goes and that means about anything. There were rigs totalling $10,000 or more. Limited class had to hit at least 1 at 295 yards to move on to the next distance and same to move on to the last distance.

Randy Wise won both classes last year shooting a $249 Savage MK II in Limited, his score was higher than the highest score in Open so he took everything with what he calls his Tupperware gun. This year my Son took his Stock Izhmash 7-2 in an ARS aluminum chassis with RWS R50 and one of my Big Fuzzy hard oval rear bags for Open class and used Randys Tupperware Savage MK II with Lapua SLR ammo in Limited class with both using Arken scopes. Randy used his Anschutz Exemplar pistol for Open class.

It was windy but not as bad as last year, last year they needed 28moa of wind at 500 yards, this year only about 16 during the heavier gusts. It's in a wide open field so it really blows up there. I'll include pictures of the scores and video from the match that Match Director Aaron Meese posted. Paul Phillips was there and brought his Daughter Addison who competed in her first ELR rimfire event. She's gonna follow in her Dads footsteps and be a great competitor.

You'll see the scores and how each did at each distance in the following pictures, My Son Chris won both the Open and Limited classes with Randy Wise taking second in Open with his Anschutz pistol. Addison got third which is outstanding. Reason I'm taking the time to post all of this is to show others that you don't need a high end gun or scope to be competitive at nearly any match. Using good ammo the gun likes and spending time learning to listen to what Mother Nature is telling you for each shot.

All three of their guns added up together would not be half of what some brought to compete with. I see this all the time at mine and other longrange matches, decent gun, really good ammo and LOTS of quality range time will move you up the score sheets. You may eventually be able to outshoot your gun but you'd be surprised how well most guns will shoot in capable hands.

Anyway, on to the pictures and scores. Congratulations to everyone that shot, shooting those distances in windy conditions is tough but not impossible. Chris' little Izhmash put groups on the racks that were amazing, he was using RWS R50. At 400 yards other than the big wind gust with the one miss all his hits would of stayed on a 4" plate. At 300 yards quite a few were touching, Randy was getting the same thing with his pistol.
FB_IMG_1713227928756.jpg

FB_IMG_1713227944541.jpg

FB_IMG_1713227953153.jpg

FB_IMG_1713227967711.jpg

FB_IMG_1713227981790.jpg

FB_IMG_1713227975328.jpg

FB_IMG_1713229142293.jpg

FB_IMG_1713229123473.jpg

Topstrap

Last edited:
My Son Chris and our shooting buddy Randy Wise traveled up to North West Ohio to compete in the Iron Element ELR 22 rimfire match. They shoot 6 distances, 100, 150, 203, 295, 403 and 496 yards. They shoot 7 shots at each distance, I'm not sure of the scoring but first round hits are worth more. No sighters at any distance and each shot counts for score and there was no checking zero before the match started

There are two classes, Limited for guns with MSRP of rifle and ALL attachments $1200 or less, Open is anything goes and that means about anything. There were rigs totalling $10,000 or more. Limited class had to hit at least 1 at 295 yards to move on to the next distance and same to move on to the last distance.

Randy Wise won both classes last year shooting a $249 Savage MK II in Limited, his score was higher than the highest score in Open so he took everything with what he calls his Tupperware gun. This year my Son took his Stock Izhmash 7-2 in an ARS aluminum chassis for Open class and used Randys Tupperware Savage MK II in Limited class with both using Arken scopes. Randy used his Anschutz Exemplar pistol for Open class.

It was windy but not as bad as last year, last year they needed 28moa of wind at 500 yards, this year only about 16 during the heavier gusts. It's in a wide open field so it really blows up there. I'll include pictures of the scores and video from the match that Match Director Aaron Meese posted. Paul Phillips was there and brought his Daughter Addison who competed in her first ELR rimfire event. She's gonna follow in her Dads footsteps and be a great competitor.

You'll see the scores and how each did at each distance in the following pictures, My Son Chris won both the Open and Limited classes with Randy Wise taking second in Open with his Anschutz pistol. Addison got third which is outstanding. Reason I'm taking the time to post all of this is to show others that you don't need a high end gun or scope to be competitive at nearly any match. Using good ammo the gun likes and spending time learning to listen to what Mother Nature is telling you for each shot.

All three of their guns added up together would not be half of what some brought to compete with. I see this all the time at mine and other longrange matches, decent gun, really good ammo and LOTS of quality range time will move you up the score sheets. You may eventually be able to outshoot your gun but you'd be surprised how well most guns will shoot in capable hands.

Anyway, on to the pictures and scores. Congratulations to everyone that shot, shooting those distances in windy conditions is tough but not impossible. Chris' little Izhmash put groups on the racks that were amazing, he was using RWS R50. At 400 yards other than the big wind gust with the one miss all his hits would of stayed on a 4" plate. At 300 yards quite a few were touching, Randy was getting the same thing with his pistol.
View attachment 8397875

View attachment 8397876

View attachment 8397878

View attachment 8397879

View attachment 8397880

View attachment 8397881

View attachment 8397882

View attachment 8397883

Topstrap
Thank you for the write up.

What were the target sizes?

First two distances were 6" the rest were 12". I forgot to add that it had rained the day before and with the wet backstop if you missed the target there was a good chance the spotter could not see your shot.

Topstrap

Reactions: 6.5SH