• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Iron Ridge Arms

SierraCharlie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2009
NY
I'm looking for members that have had or are currently having issues with Iron Ridge Arms. PM me or email.

SC

Re: Iron Ridge Arms

Hey SC,
First off let me make it clear that I don't work for or have any business interest in Iron Ridge.

I live nearby there and am a friend of Oliver (the owner), if you have any specific issues you think I might be able to help you get resolved let me know. I don't mind running down there and giving him a swift kick in the ass if needed.

Thanks,
DaPlague

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonLSU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of issues? Parts breaking or receiving stuff from them?</div></div>

Both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JonLSU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of issues? Parts breaking or receiving stuff from them? </div></div>

This seems to be a very common complaint.

I was one of the guys that bought an IRA upper that did not fit an IRA lower. I sent it in to Oliver 3 months ago.

Long story short, Oliver throws out every excuse in the book as to why it's not done and after repeated requests, fails to show any progress. I get belligerent, he returns the favor. Finally he says he doesn't want me representing his products and that he'll refund the cost of the upper and lower and return the rest of my parts. Not an ideal situation but Oliver is very well versed in civil law and specifically conversion, whereby he can take things that don't belong to him and in turn give "fair value" to the owner (think Oliver v. Paul).

Fine. The parts don't fit, the guy's a crook and at this point I want to be as far away from anything Iron Ridge as possible.

This is the infuriating part. The police have to drop by a couple of times a week to move this process forward because Oliver is so used to screwing people that he can't imagine not getting away with it.

So they stop by today and evidently Oliver avoids them but afterwards sends me an email (because he's getting dangerously close to felony theft) that he's setting up a booth for a trade show in Europe and will send my money when he gets back.

In total he sends 3 emails in the first person. The first says
"SC

We are in Europe setting up for the trade show and will return to shop on the 21st. I’ll try and have the guys ship out your parts. I remember the rifle coming in a box. No gun case with your name on it? What type of case was it shipped in."

and the other 2 are variations of this one.

Here’s the kicker, I check the IP address in the headers of all 3 EUROPEAN emails and every single one of them was sent from DENVER COLORADO.

I call him on it and he responds with:

"Handling all mail for Oliver with signature, at his desk. He will be in the UK till the 20th or so. See DESI 2011

Paul”

The guy has a convenient excuse for everything. It's a sad pattern to watch. We'll be conversing through email (each responding within a couple of minutes of receiving email) then I call him on something and BANG an hour goes by (presumably Oliver frantically calls attorney to brainstorm) and Oliver shows up with a perfectly plausible and legal excuse.

To top it off there is no Iron Ridge booth at DESi. The thought of a shop the size and quality of IRA attending DESi is laughable in the first place. I don't think guy could tell the truth to save his life.

Last edited:

Do your research. Unfortunately, I found out after the fact that my story is far from uncommon.

I bought and IRA lower on a group buy here, and got an upper too when they became available. When i got the upper it wouldn't mate to the lower due to the area between the lugs not machined deep enough, and the mag well on the lower was overly tight, from not getting correctly placed when they flipped the lower over and cut the second half. It took a long time but IRA did make it right. they got me a new lower, and traded me for a newer style upper. I just had to send request for update emails every other month. The only negative other than taking so long was the FFL transfer cause of the new S/N, and since i transferred to WA, i got screwed and had to pay sales tax for a lower i had paid for 2 year prior..

IRA = irresponsible retarted assholes.

Rich

Endorsements from the Hide helps marketing

Fellas, I never knew that there were some many problems with their customer service. I saw the group buy awhile back, and I had considered getting an upper, believing that it would make for a decent precision platform. I am very glad to have seen this post. I think I will be sticking with Armalite.

I didn't realize they had bad CS as well. I have an IRA 308 lower thats mated with a Noveske N6 upper. Honestly it's probably the tightest, best fitting upper/lower combo I've had. CS though can make or break a company in todays market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhylais</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought and IRA lower on a group buy here, and got an upper too when they became available. When i got the upper it wouldn't mate to the lower due to the area between the lugs not machined deep enough, and the mag well on the lower was overly tight, from not getting correctly placed when they flipped the lower over and cut the second half. It took a long time but IRA did make it right. they got me a new lower, and traded me for a newer style upper. I just had to send request for update emails every other month. The only negative other than taking so long was the FFL transfer cause of the new S/N, and since i transferred to WA, i got screwed and had to pay sales tax for a lower i had paid for 2 year prior.. </div></div>

I'm going to have to take exception to your statement (not you) that IRA did "make it right". If they did make it right, you, me and many others wouldn't have had to send these back for fitting.

It's a joke that "The Premier Class II & III Gunsmiths" would turn out two parts at $400 and $500 respectively,that don't fit together, not once, but multiple times.

By the way how long did it take you to get your parts back? From your statement I'm gathering over 4 months. Which is a ridiculous amount of time for the hack job they do. I know at least a handful of shops, of the same size, that you can send a box of parts to and within 90 days they will return a world-class 1/4 minute rifle. With IRA within 6 months to 1 year you can get this:

IRAFitment.jpg

Seriously did they do this with a dremel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like they are subbing the work to red jackass</div></div> Now that's funny. That show is like a train wreck, you know it's going to be bad but you just can't look away.

I'm glad I sold my IRA lower and DPMS stripped receiversand went with Mega. I've met Oliver at his shop and he seems like a decent guy but I've never dealt with him on a business level. The lower I had was a gen 1 and if I would of known what I was really getting into I wouldn't have bothered.
Go with a Mega, much better quality in my opinion

My wait was if i remember correctly 4 months or so. They did make it right in the long run, just took a while, and many E-mails. I originally went with the IRA because Obama just got elected and i was on a monstrous wait list for a DPMS 308 lower, and i wanted one asap to be a pre ban if another ban went in effect. I'm building a gas gun for long range matches. Well i ended up with both a DPMS and a IRA. I know this is a IRA bash thread, but their upper is beefy!!! I think IRA failed by offering a product without fully op-testing it first. They should have used the hide's group buy as a product development operation, to find the last kinks in their product, and worked with the members here as a product test board. Their QC issues could have been caught early on, and the hide beta testers would have satisfaction of helping to develop a quality product at a reduced price. But they didn't and now they have to deal with all the fallout.

I sent photos of my tight mag well where you could see the machining process defect causing mags to not be able to be inserted. I checked 3 brands of mags, and 15 overall for fit, and none of them would. And then when i got my upper and it wouldn't fit, i was pissed. I knew i could file the mag well to make it work, but i paid extra for the ceramic coat. but filing between the ears of the front take down pins was more than i was willing to do.

Sent it back with a long letter explaining every issue, and the rest is long history.