• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Iron Ridge Lower Build *First Look*

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    It's here, My Iron Ridge AR-10 Lower mated to my GAP Upper....
    FLG_IRA-3573.jpg

Before I went to Texas, I dropped off my SH Build AR-10 upper to Oliver & Co, over at Iron Ridge. At the same time, I was able to get a tour of the shop, and see where the lowers for the group buy were being created. At that time, they took the upper, torn it down, coated it, cut the barrel back and threaded it in preparation of mating it to one of their new lowers.

Well the finished product looks fantastic, and shoots even better.
    FLG_IRA-3579.jpg

The black and coyote coloring looks as good as it shoots. We spent the day putting rounds down range after I zeroed it last night on the new 100 yard decking.
    iraar101.jpg

yes, that's 5 shots from an AR-10, using factory Black Hills... and it's not the only group that looked like that.
    iraar10.jpg

Okay, this is only 3, my bad, but the rifle is really, really good.

But we didn't just shoot this at 100, we took it out, shot the mover, shot the KD and the UKD, and boy does it shoot.
    FLG_IRA-3588.jpg

FLG_IRA-3592.jpg

What is cool, the lower is number 16 and the Heritage is number 16... how about that for a perfect matching set.
    FLG_IRA-3611.jpg

FLG_IRA-3602.jpg

What can I say, the rifle rocks the cat box and scratches the liter. It simply hammers like a bolt gun, over and over, it's a true .5 Minute rifle, if not better. All those moving parts and it's consistent.

For those who got in on the group buy, the over 100 of you, you won't be disappointed.
    FLG_IRA-3582.jpg

Re: Iron Ridge Lower Build *First Look*

Looks great, I'm anxious to get my lower so I can finalize my build and start working on a good load for it.

I'm confused because I was certain my name was near the top of the Group Buy list.. and I haven't seen mine yet LOL...

Looks very sweet, can't wait to get mine!

Dave

Hey Frank,

Those are the pics I have been waiting for after I got email from Iron Ridge saying you had shot yours lol.

You got another one of those uppers laying around that I can send to them to "work" on? (That was serious question btw lol)

Thanks

Later, another for you, or another for me ? If its for you, nope sorry, if its for me, I think I have something else they can play with.
    smile.gif

Sorry, just ran out of available uppers... dude you were so close. LOL

To the other guys, work up loads!?!?!?!?

What are you talking about, look at that shit with factory Black Hills.... Nobody's AR-10 shoots that good with any kind of load, this thing hammers with factory ammo. It cycles perfectly with a can on and it shoots, what more do you want.

Forget the load work up, learn to drive a gas gun, the training beats load development by a country mile. We have this gas gun thing down to an art form, which negates the need for a better load.

Frank,

Did you hear if they were planning on building matching uppers???

rasheed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, just ran out of available uppers... dude you were so close. LOL

To the other guys, work up loads!?!?!?!?

What are you talking about, look at that shit with factory Black Hills.... Nobody's AR-10 shoots that good with any kind of load, this thing hammers with factory ammo. It cycles perfectly with a can on and it shoots, what more do you want.

Forget the load work up, learn to drive a gas gun, the training beats load development by a country mile. We have this gas gun thing down to an art form, which negates the need for a better load. </div></div>

The upper I've got now shoots 168gr Federal GMM at around 1.5" - 2". That's the ammo I get provided through work. The same upper shoots around .86" with the 175gr handloads I developed for my bolt gun. If I'm paying to feed this piggie she's getting homemade grub. I can't afford to buy factory ammo at the asinine prices they're charging these days.

Lowlight,

Don't tease me like that!

I take it your was an Armalite lower?

By the way, who's the long hair shooting your rifle?????
    wink.gif

LL...any idea what height rings those are and how much mil travel you've got without a canted base? How far can you stretch her out with the flat top?

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vulcan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight,

By the way, who's the long hair shooting your rifle?????
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Leif Garrett

The Long Hair is Brett Michael's brother Bob Michaels... Who is the love child of Brett Michaels' Mom and Leif Garrett, they met backstage at one of Leif's concert, the rest is history as they say.

The ring height is what it is, the taller of the two offered from Badger, I have no clue the actual model number but they are the alloy not the steel, they were here and they worked, I really put not more thought than that into them.

It appears I have the full 22 mils, whether or not they all work I have no clue, but they turrets turns that far. it will reach 1000 yards that I am sure of...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Long Hair is Brett Michael's brother Bob Michaels... Who is the love child of Brett Michaels' Mom and Leif Garrett, they met backstage at one of Leif's concert, the rest is history as they say.

</div></div>

Ahh. That clears it up. Then for purposes of his appearances on SH, we shall dub him "Highlight"......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL...any idea what height rings those are and how much mil travel you've got without a canted base? How far can you stretch her out with the flat top?

J</div></div>

J,

I believe the the rings he was using are part number 306-27 Max Alloy's. Height is 1.257".

Gator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Firefighter488</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL...any idea what height rings those are and how much mil travel you've got without a canted base? How far can you stretch her out with the flat top?

J</div></div>

J,

I believe the the rings he was using are part number 306-27 Max Alloy's. Height is 1.257".

Gator</div></div>

They are 1.275", all else is correct though.

I'm not going to get in "honest" comparisons of the IRA with a custom GAP Upper over a POF...

we use the POF and I like it alot, I also have a brand new 16" GAP Upper on my GAP/ Eagle Lower and it kicks ass in typical GAP fashion, so if I compared the two I would same, they are nearly identical.

The POF is a different animal, it's similar in that's an AR-10, but different in, it's a production gun and not a tricked out custom... the IRA is a tricked out custom, and it shows. But that won't stop me from using my POF rifles.

Looks good bro!! Nice shooting and cool colors!!

I've tried doing some searches for a gap upper but couldn't turn anything up. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction Lowlight? I've got a DPMS lr-308 lower that I'm trying to get a game plan together for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Nobody's but Flounders, That was ages ago hell I may have built that one. This the first time youve shot it????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Nobody's but Flounders, That was ages ago hell I may have built that one. This the first time youve shot it???? </div></div>

Yep, the first time I shot it, but I shot Flounder's 16" One that you sent down and it is just as accurate... Pete C shot with me and we hammered out to 900 yards with the 16" Barrel and it only died at a 1000 yards, but it owned 800, Flounder kicks ass...

But it was the first time I ever shot the SH / GAP AR10 from 4 years ago, LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, the first time I shot it, but I shot Flounder's 16" One that you sent down and it is just as accurate... Pete C shot with me and we hammered out to 900 yards with the 16" Barrel and it only died at a 1000 yards, but it owned 800, Flounder kicks ass...
    </div></div>

I hope we are still on topic, but yes I was there when Frank shot the 16" AR10 that Flounder built. He was waiting by a burning tree stump for some MAGS that were being picked up at the post office by Lisa. Once he got them we went out to the tower and did some shooting. We started at 500 and went all the way out to 1000. There was times when Frank would make a follow up shot and it would be right next to the last shot. But as was posted the 16" ran out of gas at 1000. The rifle is hammer. As Frank said, Flounder built a good one.

As for the Iron Ridge, Frank said he was waiting for that to come in. Looks like it made.

Emailed them THREE times with no response....would like to order a lower....guess they are to busy to need my business.

Great looking rifle and what a shooter!

Peace,Stan

Yes they are busy running 24hrs a day just to get the over 100 group buy lowers machined, coated, etc. out before any "legislation" comes about. IIRC the group buy lowers will be delivered before any non group buy orders but you would have to talk with them on that
    smile.gif

All I can say is give them a call instead of email because emails do get lost, undelivered or just plain deleted by accident.

Thanks

Iron Ridge Lower Build *First Look*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Emailed them THREE times with no response....would like to order a lower....guess they are to busy to need my business.

Great looking rifle and what a shooter!

Peace,Stan </div></div>

They are very busy. They are not ignorig you, but they are trying to focus on making a quality product. Your best bet is to find a dealer with the lowers in stock.

BTT, I got my lower and it is really impressive, just trying to get the parts out of Armalite!! We'll see how things go on parts for these things, and barrels!! Noveske took his .308 stuff completely off the web site due to lack of parts from Armalite, I wanted another of his barrels.

Got my lower in the other day, was unsure what to do with it until I saw Franks .5moa guarantee he put on it using a GAP upper with factory ammo.
    grin.gif