• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Iron Sight Trainer

BlkExp98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
South Carolina
Ive scanned through the other posts and dont see much on iron sight rifles. What are someones options for an accurate iron/peep sighted rifle? I keep seeing the savage mk ii mentioned. It would be great if i could find something sub $200 that i could work with to optimise. I cant afford a anchutz or anything like that at the moment.

I even considered buying a used 10/22 and putting a bull barrel on it but by the time i do that and peep sights i could have gotten a CZ 452 Lux. The Savage mark II's look like a good option and they have one with peeps but its $350. With money being short are there any good CHEAP options that will shoot around .5" or so with some TLC, good ammo and a good shooter?

Re: Iron Sight Trainer

CMP US 44 Mossberg for 65 bucks. You'll need to find a rear sight and a magazine. Havalin sales carries the mags and just buy a cheap Williams adjustable rear from most of the usual suspects on the net. Mossberg 44 barrels are lead lapped and very accurate. Triggers suck out loud but there are tricks to fix some of that. You'll end up with about 150 in the rifle and it's a full size (Adult) trainer from WWII. That's my cheap choise. Donald

I'd say get a Winchester 52A,B,C or 75 repeater or a Remington 37 or 40X for a trainer if you want old school; but, there's no way to score one for less than 200 bucks. I can't say I like the Remington 5XX guns as the stocks are just not right and don't fit me worth a damn. Seems they are neither an adult or child stock but something in between. The CZ's, Sako's for a middle price new rifle. Savage or Marlin for lower price but your still way above 200 when you’re done. But for less than 200 then you're stuck to an old beater most of which do not support peep style iron sights. I live in SC like the OP and it's a three hour drive to the CMP candy store. If I wanted a dirt cheap accurate rifle to build into a trainer the US44 as good as it gets. As a side benefit you get a weapon to train WWII service members for war. Then again Mossberg’s are butt ugly to some so it may not be the best choice if aesthetics are important. Donald

I scored a beautiul 513T last year on GB for 180 shipped. Numrich has 6 and 10 round mags for pretty cheap, and teh trigger in my rifle is the nicest rimfire I've seen.

I've been considering selling my Remington 513T; it's blued, not parkerized, and also not U.S. Property marked. I was going to ask $200 for it, but it seems at that price I'd be selling it too cheaply...

What kind of accracy do you get from the 513T? Ive seen various actions that yall have listed above and they were more than i can spend. I broke down and called all the local gun shops about the Savage Mark II FVT and none of them had it in stock. Dicks Sporting Goods ended up having the cheapest price at $340 before tax. From what ive read the FVT will put out 1/2" groups at 50 yards with someone who can use it. So if i order that one it will be pretty good to go out of the box but im paying more than i wanted to.

The CMP has the FVT for sale but only to organizations. What a tease and its was only $230. I wish i could afford a niceaction but i think ill have to buy something that works now and maybe make my own once i get the tools and learn whats good and not good.

Whoa now DFOOSKING give me a chance if he wants to sell it.
grin.gif

Oh and i can definatly relateon the money. That why im looking into .22 instead of .223 or some wilcat caliber. The problem is even .22 cost allot more than it used to. I remember when wolf match target was only $16 a brick.

I picked up the MK II FVT last Sat for 295. They have another one on the shelf for the same price. To bad you don't live a little closer. Does not need much for modifications.
except another 30 bucks for two 10 round mags. Fired about 1 brick of ammo through it since Satuerday's purchase.
This rifle is going to cost a lot for ammo because it's fun.

Ahh you got a great deal compared to what i was able to find. I wish i was closer. There are no gun or ammo deals around here i have been able to find. I ordered the one from Dicks about 1.5 weeks ago and it still hasnt come in but atleast they told me it may take some time. My fiance is even excited about it but im a little bittersweet about that.

What kind of mods did you have in mind?